Robin and I spent the morning going through all the various backers and checking the messages. There are only a few (I think 4) who we are waiting to hear from regarding additional shipping instructions. Please check your messages on Kickstarter to see if you are one of them. All books other than those few have been shipped (although some still show that they are In Transit. If you have questions or concerns about your book, let me know and I'll email you the tracking number).
There still are some posters that need to be either shipped or reshipped because of damage or additional money sent for extra posters or overseas shipping. Robin and I have a trip to New York for some business stuff for me, so she'll be going through those on Monday when we return.
A few other things:
- I had some extra copies of the signed & numbered limited edition hard covers, and I'm holding two giveaways for people to receive them (a total of 4 will be given away). Even if you are a Hollow World Kickstarter backer, you can participate in these giveaways. The books will be shipped in time for holiday gift giving if you would like to give Hollow World to a friend or family member. Here are the links to enter and you can even enter both if you like: Goodreads Giveaway | My Parallel Giveaway. There are far fewer entrants in my giveaway so your chances of winning are much better ;-). Also please spread the word about the giveaways to people you know who might like the book.
- Tachyon Publications and I are working hard on preparing for the official release of the book for the general public. Originally this was supposed to occur in January, but they couldn't make that deadline, so on April 15 the print, ebook, and audio version will be available to everyone. I'm really hopeful that it will be a big success, especially given the great feedback I've received from people in the Kickstarter.
- Speaking of the general release, if you have read the book it would mean a great deal to me if you could post a review Amazon (Here is a link). It doesn't have to be long or involved just a few sentences is fine, it's really about the "number" of reviews more than anything else. The most important thing is that it is honest. Don't inflate your rating or your comments, and feel free to leave a critical review and ranking if that's how you really feel. In many ways, a book with mixed reviews will be looked upon more positively by potential readers because a review with all glowing reviews doesn't look realistic.
- If you know people who you think might be interested in the book, please let them know that there is a FREE extended preview that they can get from Amazon, ibookstore, and Kobo. It has the first four chapters and after reading those they should be able to determine if the book is right for them. I can't get Barnes and Noble to make the extended preview free for nook, and it may be a small price outside the US, but please don't have them buy it. Just tell them to send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I'll mail them a copy in the format of their choice.
- I still plan on doing a Kickstarter primer that other people can use when planning their own Kickstarter. I'm going to start working on it in December and I'll post here when it is done. This will be available for free to anyone (those who were in the Kickstarter or others).
- Also I'm doing a write up on "a guide to professional editing" that will give writers some pointers on where to find good editors, what to do when hiring them, and will go through the professional edits that occurred for Hollow World. My intention is this should help authors in their own editing and also give those that are interested a little "behind the scenes peek" at what went on during the editing of this book. Like the Kickstarter primer it will also be given away for free as an aid to writers both aspiring and published. I don't have a release date for that yet, but I will let people know.
I think that's it. It's been a lot longer process than I had anticipated but I learned a lot and if I do one in the future, I'll do a lot of things differently and more efficiently. Once again I want to thank everyone for the amazing support of this project. You made it possible and I hope that it will be a beacon for other writers. I've already heard from some who are doing their own Kickstarter based on how this one came out. I hope you feel like your support was well rewarded and if any of you need anything in the future - please drop me a line.
My sincerest and heart-felt thanks