CARTOON theme instrumentals by composer Tim Russell.
So what's this all about?
The Milwaukee theatre scene is booming with a new generation of young early-career professionals. Youngblood Theatre Company was founded in 2009 to take an active part in the cultivation of that talent by producing daring work in non-traditional venues.
CARTOON by Steve Yockey marks our 12th production in our short lifespan and is easily our most ambitious undertaking to date. We are excited to have 18 amazing artists working to make this show come to life. In addition to the actors we have portraying the bratty dictator, the troublemaker, the anime twins, the princess and her prince, the marionette, and the rock-and-roll bear, our team also consists of a:
- Choreographer who is staging the opening musical number
- Fight choreographer who is plotting out an anime death match
- Assistant director who is keeping track of all sorts of details and staging moments in the show
- Scenic Designer who is making a giant plush chair, a station for a human-sized marionette, and enormous cartoon props, among other things
- Lighting Designer who is also creating special effects for our production
- Costume Designer who is creating 8 unique styles of characters
- Sound Designer who is also composing original music for the production. Check out the instrumentals for the opening number here.
- Animator who is creating live animations and title cards for the show (as well as the amazing poster
- Gun Advisor who is providing gun safety training for the multitude of firings that happen in the show
Whew! This is huge for us and the culmination of this work will be a real sight to see and a great undertaking by all involved. All funds raised through this campaign will go directly to our artists. If we go over the requested amount, we will give that to our artists as well.
THE SKINNY ON THE SHOW
Chaos ensues in ToonTown after the mischievous Trouble steals the giant hammer bratty dictator Esther uses to maintain a monotonous but peaceful order. Their mismatched cartoon world is sent spiraling into a violent free fall where friendship is betrayed, romance is twisted, and no one is safe - including the audience. Played through a series of TV episodes like a sugar-shocked Saturday morning, CARTOON is an in-your-face satire of a forthcoming totalitarian world.
Featuring ensemble member Andrew Voss with Alexandra Bonesho, David Franz, Lindsey Gagliano, Jordan Gwiazdowski, Sydney Ruf-Wong, Jessie Mae Scibek and Jason Waszak.
Directed by ensemble member Michael Cotey
Assistant Directed by Paul Madden
Choreography by Joelle Worm
Fight Choreography by Dan Katula
Design Team: Séan McArdle (Blood Effects), Eleanor Cotey (Costumes), Jim Guy (Gun Advisor), Tim Russell (Sound), Eric Schallhorn (Scenic), Tommy Simms (Animation / Projections), and Ross Zentner (Lights).
Risks and challenges
Our ability to provide our artists with a stipend is an important precedent we adopted last year. With 18 artists, however, we are struggling financially to meet the demands of the show and provide these stipends without some assistance. It is by far the largest team of artists than we've ever had.
CARTOON is a beast for us - a lot of moving parts need to be kept track of an executed. With the team we have assembled, we are confident that not only will we meet the challenges of the play but also go beyond expectations of what we are capable of.
Of course the greatest challenge that exists for us is getting butts in the seats. The holiday season will be a busy time of year with a lot of things out there vying for attention. Our hope is that CARTOON is a unique enough experiences that audiences will be drawn to the quirkiness of the production as the off-beat selection for this time of year.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (41 days)