About this project
What is in the book?
The Elves of Uteria is a story heavy source book featuring an original re-imagining of fantasy elves. The book will be at least 100 pages with plenty of art, fiction and gaming material.
Dane and I were always in love with RPGs with a strong story. When we first started planning to launch our own books, we decided early on that story would come first, and the rules would work around the stories.
The Elves of Uteria is told through the eyes of Jarin Plainswalker, as Druid from the Western Council who was tasked with reestablishing contact with the elves of the world. The five different cultures of the elves are explored, as well as the elflings, who are the fey cousins of the elves.
Jarin keeps records of the places he goes, so the book will include maps of Uteria, the towns and pathways he uses, and the creatures he encounters.
Magic has also begun to wake in the lands, and Jarin records the different types he encounters and their application in the world around him.
For a sample of the book to preview our style, download the Elflings of Uteria at Drive Thru RPG!
- Creature Compendium - 12 monsters with full stats and information.
- Spell book - 8 spells based on the elven cultures.
- Base stats for the elves and elflings as player races.
- An explanation of the base magic system in Uteria - ravaging, spell points, and feats. An explanation of the base spellcaster class.
- Our modified spellcasting system eliminates spell classes like wizards, clerics, ect and replaces it with a base spellcaster class and archetypes. We detail the base spellcaster and the Druid archetype in this book.
So what is this money going to?
Writing - Lone Wanderer Entertainment is a new company and Dane has been helping tirelessly completely unrewarded up until this point. Part of your funding will go to making sure he is treated fairly as my co-writer.
Art - When I fell in love with RPGs it was because of the artwork. I have gotten some really talented and smart artists behind this project and I want to make sure they are taken care of.
Design - I designed our last book, The Tomb of Kochun, but book layout is not my focus. So for this book, I hired Loraine Flegal, a full time designer to make sure we have the cleanest layout possible!
Publication Costs - ISBN, proof copies, ect, your funding will cover all the costs to get this book on the bookshelves!
Dane and Michael have been writing together for decades, but it wasn't until 2012 that they first published work together. The Tomb of Kochun was the first published book in the World of Uteria and was well received! Dane and Michael then started to work on the elf book, and they quickly finished the first section, The Elflings of Uteria. This established the character of Jarin and the tone for the book. To see this sample of the full elf book, visit Drive Thru Rpg to download the pdf!
We have a great line up of artists for this book:
- Adam Baker - Adam has worked in illustration for years with corporate clients which include the Tennessee Titans and Vanderbilt Medical Center, but his true passion lies within the strange and macabre. As a founding member of the Apparition Abolishers, a group of steampunk artists and performers, he has traveled around the U.S. showcasing his art both two dimensional as well as sculptural since 2008. http://thinkbaker.com/
- Michael Bielaczyc - Michael's work spans the fantastical to the strange. He has worked with many larger companies such as Dragonlance, Kobold Quarterly, Frog God Games as well as his own projects. http://michaelbielaczyc.com/blog/
- Paul Bielaczyc - Paul has worked with many of the same companies as his brother, Michael, and is also a Chesley Award winning artist. http://paulbielaczyc.com/
- Sam Flegal - Sam Flegal is an oil painter who describes his work as “stylized realism,” portraying fantastical things in a graphic manner, but with an eye towards real life. Working as a fantasy illustrator, Sam has worked on projects such as Legend of the Five Rings, Warhammer Fantasy, Monster Hunter International, and of course The World of Uteria! http://samflegal.com/
- Sarah Frary - Sarah Frary is a wanderer and explorer in our own world and her art expresses that. When not exploring the wilds, she runs her own tattoo shop in the far west. spiralunwinding.com
- Melissa Gay - Melissa Gay is a Nashville illustrator whose painting style she likes to call "atmospheric realism." Her work includes book covers for Apex, Mythopoeic, and Immersion Press, the Angel Dreams Oracle deck for Hay House Publishing, and illustrations for roleplaying games such as The Dresden Files, Part-Time Gods, Mermaid Adventures, Fantasy HERO, Psi-Punk, Camp Myth, and more. melissagay.com
- Brian Hulsey - Sculptor extraordinaire, Brian lives in Nashville and specializes in the dark and grotesque. When he first saw the sketches for the elves in masks, he asked to sign up and sculpt them for us! evilbdesigns.com
- Aaron Miller - Aaron Miller is a Chicago based illustrator in the style of imaginative realism. Some of his projects include Magic the Gathering, D&D, Star Wars, Legends of Norrath, NYC the Powerful, Immortalis, and Shogun Rising just to name a few. aaronbmiller.com
And Special Guest artist, Larry Elmore!
- Larry Elmore - One of the greats within the fantasy illustration world, Larry has built a career bringing stories to life. Starting with DnD early on and now doing mostly personal paintings, we are honored to have him in the book. http://larryelmore.com/
We are also offering Art Prints as Backer rewards and here are some samples of the prints available over at Worldofuteria.com!
The book will be formatted by Loraine Flegal: Loraine has 10+ years of experience as a graphic designer and production artist. She received her B.F.A. in Graphic Design at Mississippi State University. Over the years, Loraine has worked with several clients including Fazoli's, Randy Travis, Pinnacle National Bank, Skeeter Performance Fishing Boats, The Little Clinic, Absorption Corp, Calsonic Kansei, Nashville Symphony, VF Imagewear, and Tractor Supply Company. She loves puzzles and considers design work to be puzzles waiting to be solved.
We are lucky enough in Tennessee to have a large scale local printer, Lightning Source. We went though them for the print version of the Tomb, and we are very happy with their service and quality of print!
Add On Options
- Custom Leather Dice Bag - $26
- Printed Version of the Tomb of Kochun - $12
- Mask of the Evantari Elves - Sculpted by Brian Hulsey and hand painted by Michael Bielaczyc, this will be a great addition to any costume! - $40
Goal of $2200
- 2200 - Funded!
- 2250 - Adds a 10 page grand adventure based in Ferryport.
- 2500 - We'll commission 5 new monsters (and art) for the book!
- 3000 - Uteria dice unlocked- Every person who funds $28 and up will receive 2 d6’s one with Elves of Aradan Symbol, other with the Uteria logo.
- 3800 - 2 more large color illustrations commissioned and 8 more black and white illustrations commissioned.
- 4000 - The Elves of Uteria book will be printed as a hardcover for all our printed book backers!
- 5000 - 2 prestige classes and 10 spells added.
- 6000 - 5 elf feats added to the book.
- 7500 - All backers will receive a pdf 40 page module starting at level 1 in the city of Ferryport.
- 8500 - 10 pages added to the elf book which will cover the history of the Elves of Aradan.
- 10,000 - The 40 page adventure becomes a 85 page adventure and includes information on adventuring in Ferryport.
- 12,000 - The 85 page Ferryport module will feature a full color cover by fantasy illustrator Sam Flegal.
- 15,000 - Everyone funding $28 and up will receive a full color 18x24 World of Uteria limited edition map (international customers must cover shipping) as well as a mp3 download of 2 original Uteria songs by Patrick Duggan!
Your contribution will cover shipping within the continental United States.
Risks and challenges
Having one RPG book under our belt, we are more prepared for our second outing. We have a great design team and we are allowing ourselves plenty of time to get everything together (we don;t really expect it to take us a year, but we want to make sure we are not trying to rush a product to you).Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)