Metaphorosis - beautifully made science fiction and fantasy
Metaphorosis - beautifully made science fiction and fantasy
Help us to bring you a second great year of speculative short stories with style, atmosphere, character, intellect, & emotion.
Help us to bring you a second great year of speculative short stories with style, atmosphere, character, intellect, & emotion. Read more
About this project
Beautifully written science fiction and fantasy
Over the past year, we've brought you a quarter million words of great speculative fiction - original stories every week, along with author bios, interviews, origin stories, and beautiful art. Help us keep it going!
When we get all high-minded and intellectual, we say it's a method of understanding our surroundings through examination of allegory and parable. We don't get that way very often.
Are you vegan-friendly?
We are! Our editor is a long-time vegan, and we give a vague and unspecified number of bonus points to vegan submissions. We're not sticklers about it, and we publish mostly non-vegan stories, but you won't find many stories about hunting on our pages. We also plan to publish a Best Vegan SFF of the year, full of great stories that just happen to be vegan.
Intelligent, beautifully written fiction. All our stories are original, hand-crafted by talented artisans working in dark, lonely caves. They run the gamut from epic high fantasy to contemporary, socially aware science fiction. They're stories with atmosphere, deep characters, and ideas that make you think.
We spend months traveling the world, unearthing a treasure here, a rarity there, searching tirelessly for the gems that will colour your life. We polish them up, and every week, we take one sparkling fresh story from our hoard and put it front and center in the display case.
And we publish it free to the world - but we need your support to keep it that way.
Writing is a lonely, sometimes discouraging business. For every jewel we display in our showcase, we reject dozens of others that weren't quite right for us. That doesn't mean we don't care about them. Every author works hard on their story, and we respect that, whether we buy the story or not. For every writer that wants it, we provide blunt, honest feedback on what worked for us in the story, and what didn't. We answer most submissions within a day. For Patreon supporters, we provide overview feedback - over the course of several stories, what recurring weaknesses do we see?
Mostly to buy more great stories and art. It costs roughly $4,000 to run the magazine for a year, including stories, art, and administrative costs (submission system, web hosting, domain registration, etc.) All the money we raise will go toward those ends.
In 2016, we will have published 52 stories - 237,538 words of original science fiction and fantasy. That's 2-3 solid novels' worth of excellent prose. We aim for roughly the same count in 2017, along with 12 professional illustrations (up from 6 in 2016).
Our base goal is to raise half the money we need. If we raise more than that modest target, all the better - we'll use it toward our stretch goals.
- Your name in lights! Our heartfelt thanks for your support. We'll post your name on our website, and list you in the January Kickstarter issue. All higher tiers get this as well.
- Early bird special - The January Kickstarter issue - in December - even if the Kickstarter hasn't closed, and hasn't reached its goals.
- Kickstarter issue - a special January issue of Metaphorosis, with all Kickstarter supporters listed. All higher tiers get this as well.
- You're the Best! - the Best of Metaphorosis 2016. An e-book with 13 beautifully written SFF stories.
- Twelve months of Metaphorosis - all the 2016 stories, in 12 colorful e-books.
- Spring 2017 - the January Kickstarter issue, plus the February and March issues, on the first of each month, before the stories are published.
- Spring and Summer 2017 - the January Kickstarter issue, plus all the issues up to June, on the first of each month, before the stories are published.
- The Complete 2017 - the January Kickstarter issue, plus all the rest of the 2017 issues, on the first of each month, before the stories are published.
- All the Metaphorosis - all the e-book issues from two full years of Metaphorosis, with 2016 delivered immediately, and 2017 issues on the first of each month.
- Story critique - a thorough critique of your story by Metatphorosis' editor, B. Morris Allen.
- Double your critique - independent critiques of your story by the Metaphorosis editor and a Metaphorosis author, including Andrew Leon Hudson, Jarod K. Anderson, and Benjamin C. Kinney. Where possible, we'll match authors to contributor preferences.
- Website or social media evaluation - Author website or social media evaluation by online communications professional (and Metaphorosis author), K.G. Anderson.
- That's dedication - we'll dedicate a month's stories and e-book to the person of your choice, with a link to the website of your choice (we reserve the right to reject some choices). First backers get first choice of month.
- Novel critique - a thorough, multi-level critique of your novel (up to 100,000 words) by Metaphorosis editor B. Morris Allen.
$2,000 - base goal funded - half the annual cost of the magazine. Thanks!
$4,000 - 2017 is fully funded. And we're really, really grateful!!!
$6,000 - [you'll know this goal when you hear it]
$10,000 - [twice as good as other goals]
$12,000 - [sounds like it's working]
$25,000 - [pay attention]
$29,000 - [the magazine turned up to 11]
$47,000 - [we are prose at this]
$50,000 - [ok. this one is hard, but really fun]
Come visit us at magazine.metaphorosis.com - stories, author bios, interviews, story origins, cover art, etc.
Risks and challenges
We're fully committed to year two of Metaphorosis, and looking forward to it no matter how the Kickstarter goes. Your support will make it a whole lot easier, and potentially allow us to expand what we do by providing podcasts and paying our authors and artists higher rates.
The magazine is a labour of love for us. We've had a great first year, and your support now will ensure that we're able to keep doing what we do even past 2017.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)