Launch of NanoDri
In 2016, I launched NanoDri Sweatproof undershirts on Kickstarter. The shirts are sweat-absorbent and wicking on the inside, drawing sweat away from the skin, but breathable and sweat repellent on the outside, thus effectively blocking sweat stains from showing on your outer garments and cooling you through the process of evaporative cooling.
The popularity of the sweatproof NanoDri undershirts inspired me to take it to the next level and expand the line to sweatproof polo shirts.
NanoDri polo shirts have the same amazing effects as the NanoDri undershirts.
NanoDri Polo shirts not only block sweat stains from showing all over the shirt...Including the front/back, sides and underarms,
but they are also are stain resistant on the outside, repelling water-based liquids such as juice and coffee,
and even repel fat/protein suspensions such as milk.
The shirts have very strong repellency, as you can see above and in this video.
Here is how the shirts work at the microscopic level.
There are 2 layers. The absorbant wicking inner layer and the repellent but breathable outer layer. The sweat is wicked away from the skin into the intricate mesh network and up into the micro air space between the layers where it hits the repellent outer layer and rebounds back to the inner absorbent layer. The outside air freely flows in through the outer and inner layers, resulting in evaporative cooling.
Here are just some of the properties of the NanoDri polo shirts.
I plan to make 3 colors initially:
What makes NanoDri special?
It is 100% polyester. But as anyone in the garment business will tell you, not all polyester is the same.This is no ordinary scratchy synthetic polyester. This fabric represents the most advanced state of polyester development currently available.
It has a unique micro structure that makes each polyester fiber many times thinner than a human hair, and this makes it as soft, if not softer, than silk or Pima cotton.
And because the reduced fiber diameter allows for more fibers per square inch to exist than cotton or other textiles, this results in increased fabric surface area, and therefore more breathability, greater wicking, and much higher evaporative cooling ability than other textiles, which is essential for heavy sweaters to not only get rid of sweat exiting the body, but to help keep them cool as well.
This "super polyester" is perfect for so many reasons.
1. Fast moisture absorbing and wicking technology in the inner layer touching the skin—Absorbs liquid at least 3X faster than cotton. Sweat coming into contact with the mesh fabric is immediately wicked inside, pulling it away from the skin, where it is absorbed inside the intricate fibers that comprise the fabric interior.
2. Sweat-blocking but breathable exterior. Its like a magic shield all over the shirt that blocks sweat stains from showing but allows sweat vapor to pass through freely like nothing was there. A breathable shirt is essential for evaporative cooling and getting rid of excess sweat.
And this same layer that blocks your sweat stains from showing also makes the shirt stain-resistant on the outside--an added bonus.
3. Interior micro-air space present all over the shirt to aid in sweat evaporation. After your sweat gets wicked inside the fabric it hits a micron sized wall of air, where it immediately starts to evaporate.
4. Dries 4 times faster than cotton. Take the shirts out of the wash spin cycle and you will find that they are almost dry!
5. Impenetrable waterproof membrane in the high friction area of the underarms. Ensures that no matter how much pressure you apply, no sweat is getting through this particularly troublesome spot.
6. All-over protection—unlike other sweat blocking shirts, sweat resistance is present all over the shirts, not just in the underarms. This means sweat is prevented from coming through all over, including the chest, back and sides.
7. Anti-bacterial/anti-fungal treated for freshness.
8. No special treatments or detergents needed for garment care.
9. Ultra-stretchy for comfort.
10. Tagless for comfort.
11. Double sided mesh to maximize air exposure and eliminate clinging.
12. The collar is ribbed with interlining to help keep its shape. Wear your collar up, down or somewhere in between, your choice. No more saggy lifeless collars.
13. Thinner/lighter and stretchier than other sweat resistant shirts.
14. Luxuriously soft.
15. Resists wrinkling.
16. Holds colors better than cotton, so no color fading with repeated washes.
17. Shrink resistant.
18. Long lasting sweat-blocking effects. The sweat repellency properties are due to nanotechnology-based molecular reactions within the fabric itself, not spray-on chemicals. So even after 100 washes, significant sweat repellency remains an intrinsic property of the fabric.
19. Stain resistent.
20. And last but not least, the shirts feel and look great so you can look good while feeling the confidence that wearing them brings.
For the best fit, compare your current polo shirt size with the chart below and choose the closest match. *Sizes are approximate.
Wash inside out at 40 degrees C (104 F) or cooler, and line dry or tumble dry at 40 degrees C (104 F) or cooler.
Do not use fabric softener, as it may lessen the effectiveness of the shirt.
Risks and challenges
Since i have made undershirts before, I have a much better understanding of the garment-making process, so the risk is less than if this was my first time. The fabric has already been purchased and is ready to be sewn, and I do not expect any delays in production.
However, there is always a risk that mass production may not go exactly as planned, as I am not onsite at the factory 24 hours a day. However, I have worked hard on quality control and am confident that the result will be the perfect sweatproof, stain resistant Polo.
- (30 days)