A tactical space combat game; heroic fleets, viral legions, and interstellar annihilation.
Launch Day - Do we sound familiar? We introduced our game concept in a previous kickstarter operation. We're back to show progress, we've also brought along a few friends from Kickstarter projects you might know, with new rewards and a new demo!
Fleet Intelligence, Reloaded
Sample Battle Maneuvers
Fleet Intelligence (French Version)
First Kickstarter Video : Viral Surge
Early Prototypes : Fleet Codex
Early Prototypes : Beam Weapon Maneuvers
Early Prototype : Alpha Level Engine
Windows (7 / XP) demo link provided above. Linux demo is being compiled and tested.
PLEASE STAY TUNED! This demo is our basic flight and controls module, we are wrapping up combat demo and deploying it as soon as possible.
[INSTALLATION : Windows]
- Be sure to have OpenAL installed on your system.
- Extract the entire demo file to any directory.
- Run the "fleetcomm" executable.
- (please note that you may have to run in administrator mode)
Our demo has problems loading on Mobility Radeon graphics cards. Laptop graphics cards (Intel GMA) have also been known to have loading issues. Please be advised, we are researching this problem thoroughly.
Demo represents core features only, and is still undergoing production. Game engine videos represent alpha and beta stages of development, and is shown in progression.
- Define, edit and shift 2D maneuvers in real time.
- Designed for a 2-button mouse, being tested on touch screens.
- Save up to (7) combat maneuver instances.
- Save fleets and all maneuvering data to a file.
- Maneuvers execute with one step; a click, a GUI button, or a key binding. This economizes the execution of movement patterns, allowing players to create complex battle forms, while only synchronizing to one game action.
- Flight module included, allows control over multiple fleets.
- STAY TUNED FOR THIS DEMO!
- Basic flight controls, point and click interface.
- Core weapon load out for three types of combat vessels.
- Flight maneuvers inspired by contemporary technology in drone controls.
- Demo Battle; survive a planetary scale invasion using only one fleet.
The following list describes our design philosophy and the complete set of features we will deliver for this project. A fully released PC version will be available in the month of December, 2012. (Windows, Mac and Linux)
- Windows (primary build stable)
- Linux (primary build stable)
- Mac OSX (port being developed)
- iOS (primary tablet environment, being designed)
- Android (needs research time, tooling, and hardware)
- PlayStation 3 (needs research time, tooling & devkit)
PRIMARY GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE
- 3 protagonist classes (implemented)
- 2D open space game map (implemented)
- Swarm + horde enemy A.I. (implemented)
- Single player (implemented, all core abilities)
- Multiple fleet deployment (implemented)
- Boss Fleets (being developed)
- "Operation Vigrior" story driven campaign (being developed)
- 9 core enemy classes (1/9 implemented, 8/9 being developed)
- Atmosphere, nebula, planet rendering environments (implemented)
GAME TOOLS & DATA
- Fleet codex module (implemented)
- Fleet codex saved files (implemented)
- Combat maneuver module (implemented)
- Fleet upgrades (being developed)
- Game designated safe zones (being developed)
- Machine generated voice acting, ft. Google Translate (being developed)
- Cooperative LAN multiplayer (being developed)
- Freeware + open source server (being developed, low risk)
- Multiplayer will be targeting networks approaching a raid environment (being developed, high risk)
Project Status & Why We Need You.We have completed our core combat module! The demos represent the kernel of the open world campaign Operation Vigrior. We're entering our last phase before releasing on the PC; during this Fall 2012, we're pouring all our energy into a gigantic collection of story driven quests. Once that's over, we need to immediately lock-and-load for our next mission.
However, our crew needs staff funding for Winter 2013 & Spring 2013. Our primary task will be porting our entire game from the PC to a tablet environment. With your support, Mercenary Games can continue this mission without any downtime.
Our funding goal reflects the bare-metal costs for this operation; our mission is broken down in the following task list.
- Staff (1) Full-Time Game Designer. Our designer will be revising our game engine interfaces for a touch screen environment. This will be the toughest job for the porting operation. (Winter & Spring 2013)
- Staff (1) Double-Time Programmer. The programmer will be working concurrently in an iOS and a PC environment. The one-man-coding-crew will also support the designer with interface creation and the artists with graphics asset porting. The programmer will also be porting the entire game engine source to iOS. This task will cover up to 70+ hours per week. (Winter & Spring 2013)
- Staff (1) Part-Time Character Artist & (1) Part-Time FX Artist. Our artists will be grinding through our graphics manifest, and making all these assets fit into iOS. They will also support design & engineering with GUI assets crafted for a tablet environment. (Winter & Spring 2013)
- Staff (2) Part-Time Musicians. They will be completing the rest of the sound track. This will also cover their instrumentation and software costs. (Fall 2012 & Winter 2013)
We've poured our own investment, time, and personal savings into this project. We also have the blessing of 467 Kickstarters. We've built everything with our own crew and have been growing our production pipeline; software derived from modular projects online, musical score, and even our own hack for Google Translate. To date, the majority FleetCOMM was funded was from our original Kickstarter campaign, the rest came from our founding members. With your support, we can keep it that way.
Just like our previous campaign, our funding goal is the bare minimum we need to remain in operation, while retaining our creative freedom.
You can also help us by spreading the word!
Only on Kickstarter.
The Garrison Hoodie, by SixOn Clothing.
Poster, by Leo Dasso, from BallPoint Universe (.....or the project formerly known as College Ruled Universe)
Poster Set by Joseph Rintoul.
All posters are works in progress, to be completed and ready for shipping on January, 2013.
Operation Vigrior is the first installment of FleetCOMM, a world we would like to keep building. We also intend to ship FleetCOMM on as many systems as we can; whether its a new operating system, digital distribution platform, web browser, gaming console, or a smart device.
The Omni Pass was designed to ease the burden of having to re-purchase the game for your new devices, or new digital platforms, and it simplifies buying a game that comes in a series of expansions.
During our alpha funding phase, we treat our gamers as virtual world investors. Investing in our Omni Pass entitles you to every iteration of this game, for as long as Mercenary Games stays operational.
- Ben Canant, Film & Media
- Andy Lucas, Co-Founder, Creative Director, Lead Designer
- Jason Smidt, Tech Artist, Protagonist Characters
- Codename "Spider", Tech Artist, Enemy Characters
- Nuwati Solis, Sound & Music
- Alan Richardson (Alumnus), Graphics Engineer
- Slade Villena, Founder, Gameplay Engineer
- Leo Dasso, Artist from College Ruled Universe
- Joseph Rintoul, Artist from Rintoul Designs
- Nancy Lam, Seamstress from SixOn Clothing
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
This section shows potential features that have been flagged as a risk, due to the size of our crew, and also due to our "bare bones" funding philosophy.
(Known Hardware Crashes)
Our current demo has problems loading on Mobility Radeon graphics cards. Please be advised.
(Low Risk - Networked Game Engine)
We're developing every facet of the game from the lens of a single player environment. As a solution; our networked environment will be derived from the single player experience, except with more players and a higher pace for difficulty.
By following this simple design path, we avoid unnecessary feature creep, and preserve the game at its core. This also allows us to avoid bugs that will adversely affect the nature of the game.
(Low Risk - One Man Coding Crew)
Even though we have only one person on our engine team, we have several part-time coding supporters. We have enough contacts in our network who can help us out with their spare time.
Slade, our Principal Engineer, has experience developing on multiple platforms. He has commercial and academic work in Microsofts XNA SDK, the Playstation 3 SDK, iOS/OSX, Linux and Windows and even the Flash/Facebook domains. He focuses on C, C++ and Lua as primary languages. He also leads teams of programmers and artists on numerous professional and academic projects.
He has over 10 years experience in team management, encompassing multiple enterprises; military (Corporal, USMC), academic (UC Santa Cruz, PS3 Academic Program) and commercial (Mercenary Games LLC).
(High Risk - Massive Scale)
We will attempt to fit as many players as we can, and hopefully, our multiplayer capability will reach numbers approaching an MMO raid environment. This requires us to find a huge player base who will be interested in testing this with experimental software.
We say this is high risk since we've never tried it before. :)
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
[ One Shot, One Kill ] (1) Military Patch, selected at random by our Lead Designer. Includes shipping and handling. This does not include a copy of the game.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
[ All Kill Patches ] (1) set of Kill Patches, containing 3 characters from the Viral Legion. Patch dimensions; 1.5x1.5 inches for each character. Includes shipping and handling. This does not include a copy of the game.Estimated delivery:Add $5 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
5 backers Limited (995 left of 1000)
[ Early Bird Special : Pre Order ] Get (1) digital download of this game for PC (Windows, Mac or Linux). Available now in beta via Desura. Please vote for us on Steam when you get a chance! :)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
15 backers Limited (485 left of 500)
[ Early Bird Special : OMNI-PASS ] Own this game, forever! This includes all future expansions, sequels, mod tools, distribution platforms, the complete soundtrack, and system ports. For Windows, Mac and Linux. iOS version estimated @Summer 2013. We'll be available on Steam if you vote us in! :)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
[All FleetCOMM Commanders Patches] Includes (1) set of Commanders Patches. Patch dimensions; "recon"/"artillery"/"vanguard" word patches 2x1 inches, recon insignia 1.5x1.5, vanguard insignia 1.5x1.5, artillery insignia 1.5x1.5, Unity Fleet insigna 1.5x1.5, FleetCOMM badge 3x1.5. Includes shipping and handling. Includes (1) digital download of the game for Windows, Mac or Linux. Currently available in beta form on Desura. Digital download for the game will be delivered online December, 2012.Estimated delivery:Add $5 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
[ Valkyrie Poster ft. Leo Dasso ] Includes (1) digital download of the game for Windows, Mac or Linux. Currently available in beta form on Desura. Digital download for the game will be delivered online December, 2012.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
[ OMNI-PASS ] Own this game, forever! This includes all future expansions, sequels, mod tools, distribution platforms, system ports and the complete soundtrack. For Windows, Mac and Linux. iOS version estimated @Summer 2013. We'll be available on Steam if you vote us in! :)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (500 left of 500)
[Registered Code Name] Assign your name, or a respectable code name of your choice, to be added to the "Corps of Commanders" roster. Our studio will incorporate your code name into different aspects of our story line, both for FleetCOMM, and future games in our pipeline. We will be using the call sign for various quests, NPCs, even names for battle stations. [Permadeath Policy] Mercenary Games reserves the right to kill, freeze, or banish any current or future NPC's, battle stations, races, characters, overminds, star systems (known and unknown) and galaxies at it's own discretion, for any reason. These reasons may include all future weapons, cataclysms, inter dimensional rifts, time travel, and any given, or implied, scientific anomaly solely chosen by the games Lead Designer. [Code Name Format] Up to two words. Example, "Borealis Prime". Name tapes will have a maximum of 12 characters in length, and will take the first word in the sequence. There can be no cloned, duplicated or mirrored code names. Example 'Tomato Potato' <-> 'Potato Tomato' would not be allowed due to duplication. There can only be one 'Tomato'. Any number of players can share the same "first word" in our code name registry (for people who want to be known in the same gaming clan), but all code names must have a unique "last word". [Rewards] By registering, you will receive (1) set of all kill patches, (1) set of Commanders patches, and a reflective nametape with your callsign entity name. You will also receive an OMNI PASS, with the complete sound track. ALL CODE NAMES WILL BE ON A "FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED" BASIS.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
[ Art Package ft. Joseph Rintoul ] (1) Propaganda Poster Set and (1) OMNI-PASS and the complete soundtrack. Digital download for the game will be delivered online December, 2012.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (97 left of 100)
[ FleetCOMM Commanders Hoodie ] This is a hand crafted hoodie, designed for the Fleet Commanders. This also entitles you to (1) OMNI-PASS, and the games entire sound track. Sizing info to be collected at the end of the campaign. Available in [Small to XXL] You will also be listed in the "Commanders Roster". Your name, or a respectable code-name of your choosing, will be listed in the game engines credits sequence. DOES NOT INCLUDE MILITARY PATCHES. Patches, name tapes, code names and kill patches will be installed on the hoodie at your request, and when we've confirmed your order for patches. Digital download for the game will be delivered online December, 2012.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
- (34 days)