Meqnes — Leather Goods to Reinvigorate Moroccan Artisanship
Each bag is 100% handmade by traditional Moroccan artisans using centuries-old techniques that result in products that last a lifetime.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Wed, May 29 2019 4:28 PM UTC +00:00.
Meqnes is reinvigorating a dying artisanal leather tradition with luxurious modern bag designs and ancient Moroccan techniques.
Every single Meqnes bag is 100% made by hand in Morocco by traditional artisans using the highest quality materials and centuries-old Moroccan traditions that are designed to last you and your family generations.
By supporting Meqnes, you are helping sustain the talented artisans who create one of a kind works-of-art that will last you a lifetime. Our bags help keep this tradition alive and pay artisans fairly for their exquisite craftsmanship.
Meqnes's all-new 2019 collection features six modern new product designs that support the real Moroccan artisans who create them using centuries-old traditions:
- Passport Cover — Stylish protection for your ticket to the world.
- Laptop Sleeve — Lightweight protection for computer or documents.
- Dopp/Tech Kit — Water-resistant tech gadget case or toiletries bag.
- Duffel Bag — Minimalist hold-all bag with a detachable leather strap.
- Computer Bag — Slim-profile briefcase with shoulder strap and handles.
- Briefcase — Taller and deeper with spacious interior laptop sleeve.
- Weekender Bag — All-new flagship bag with improved hardware.
The crown jewel of Moroccan markets (medinas) is leather artisans with a long history of creating the most sought after, one-of-a-kind products with world-renowned qualities:
- Moroccan Tradition — Skillful artisans of Moroccan souks (marketplaces) are legendary, creating highly-valued luxurious leather goods for centuries using ancient techniques.
- Luxurious Design — Craftsmanship preserves the artisanal leatherwork and vegetable tanning, resulting in a timeless, classic style recognizable anywhere in the world.
- Lifelong Wear — An utmost attention to impeccable materials with no corners cut, Meqnes bags are designed to become a family heirloom that will last you for decades.
- Made By Hand — Every bag is 100% made by hand in Morocco by talented leather artisans who know the quality, aesthetic and promises each Meqnes bag holds.
Throughout history, Moroccan tradition put a high value on handmade craftsmanship, but the tradition has started to die.
The real artisans of Morocco who know their leather sources, know traditional designs, and handcraft products that last lifetimes are disappearing and the reason is simple:
Industrialization and globalization allowed big manufacturers to stepped in, having people once famous for their leatherwork now sell tourist cheaply made representations of highest quality leather goods you once found with their highly valued past passing on to their children.
- 22-Second Video: Ancient Techniques Create Leather That Last Generations
- 17-Second Video: Authentic Moroccan Artisan's Take Pride In Handcrafting
- 17-Second Video: Highest Quality Materials Create Luxurious Leather Goods
- 17-Second Video: Modern Designs Meet Classic Style That's Timeless
Each handcrafted Meqnes handbag is constructed to last a lifetime and distinctly unique, with no two products being the same.
One by one, every single piece in our 2019 Collection is 100% hand-stitched in Morocco by real artisans using marine-grade polyester, and the highest quality weatherproofed leather:
- Full-Grain Leather — Rather than wearing out over time, Meqnes's Italian entire grain calfskin leather is the hallmark of high-quality and develops a soft sheen (patina) on the surface of the leather to create a one-of-a-kind character and personality.
- Vegetable-Tanned — Unlike most"luxury" bags using cheap chemicals (chrome-tanned) for 24 hours, Meqnes bags are tanned with organic vegetable tannins for 30 days using techniques that date back millennia that increase color, sturdiness, and durability.
- Designer Brass — Meqnes handbags integrates the highest quality, solid brass Italian hardware manufactured by designer companies that include Magic Sfea and Miperva.
- Lifetime Warranty — We proudly stand behind the men and women handcrafting Meqnes bags to warrant against material and workmanship defects for an entire lifetime.
$99 - Computer Sleeve by Meqnes
A stylish and minimalist protective leather sleeve with two quick access magnets designed in two sizes for either 13" and 15" inch laptops or similarly sized devices.
Thin yet protective, this 1mm thick and the 250g leather sleeve has just the right amount of cushion to keep devices scratch-free and not bulk up your briefcase with it's minimalist (38x30x6cm) design.
$299 - Slim Laptop Bag by Meqnes
A small and stylish all-leather briefcase with a lightweight profile that makes the perfect meeting companion for when you just need a laptop and notebook.
Large handles and detachable shoulder strap comfortably carry this slim (38x30x6cm) briefcase with 2.5mm thick leather, spacious interior, internal computer slot, two-way zipper, and plenty of pockets/pouches.
$399 - Large Briefcase by Meqnes
Stylishly designed to be something between a tote and a briefcase, it's perfect for when you need more than a laptop at big meetings or on short business trips.
It's deeper and more spacious interior (43x37x16cm) allows our larger 2.2kg briefcase to carry more while in its zippered pockets, pouches, and internal computer sleeve stylishly conceal more precious work cargo.
$299 - Duffel Bag by Meqnes
A minimalist and timeless hold-all bag that's luxuriously designed to carry you through the day from the office to the gym or even overnight.
Designed for versatility and utility, this medium-sized (50x28x25cm) duffel bag with detachable leather straps weighs in at 3kg with 2.5mm thick leather to ensure it'll be the go-to bag for generations.
Weekender Bag by Meqnes
The all-new weekender bag is the product of many months of searching for the best product that adds significant improvements to our flagship bag.
The third generation Weekender bag upgrades to thicker, higher quality vegetable-tanned leather, improved solid brass Italian hardware pieces, double-layered detachable strap to enhance durability, and features a luxurious new denim interior.
$69 - Passport Cover by Meqnes
Travel with style and protect your ticket to the world with our Limited Edition passport holder that beautifully compliments your other Meqnes leather goods. It is universally sized (14x10cm) to protect any passport and handmade with 2.5mm thick leather that weighs in 50g to protect for a lifetime.
$149 - Dopp Kit or Tech Case by Meqnes
A classic travel kit with water-resistant leather, outside zipper for access to toiletries, shaving kits, and some even use it as an electronic gearcase. Classically sized (25x14x12cm) with 2.5mm thick leather, it is versatile for storing your tech gadgets inside our business bags or use traditionally as a shaving kit.
Following the rhythm of the bygone days, Meqnes treats its hides with an ancient organic process that dates back millennia.
Morocco has a long and proud history of producing some of the worlds most sought after leather products with tradition putting a value on everything being hand made.
Moreover, for a good reason, their impressive designs found in men’s bags, satchels, luggage, pouches, and wallets are recognizable wherever you see them around the world.
Vegetable tanning is the most traditional, artisanal way of tanning that originates origin thousands of years ago and requires highly skilled, precise, patient, and hard to find authentic artisans. This traditional tanning processes can take up to 3 months and uses tannins extracted from vegetable matter, such as tree bark prepared in mills.
Although it’s costlier and takes about two months longer, Meqnes only used vegetable-tanned leather for our bags:
- Uniqueness — Remarkable color caramelization with distinctive aging qualities.
- Patina — Develops soft sheen on leather surface imparting character and personality.
- Strength — Thicker, firmer, and more structural leather that maintains integrity.
- Environmental — Eliminates carcinogenic chemicals found in chrome-tanned leathers.
- Fragrance — A distinctively sweet, woody fragrance is associated with these leathers.
- Tradition — Revitalizes historical cultures by fairly paying locals with valuable knowledge.
High-quality, full-grain, vegetable-tanned leather and practical modern design are only some of its advantages, Meqnes leathgoods are more than just products:
- Sustain Artisans — Meqnes bags help provide traditional artisans with their livelihood.
- Ancient Tradition — Revives quality that's increasingly threatened by mass-production.
- Lifetime Durability — With proper care, Meqnes bags last decades, maybe longer.
- Affordable Price — Comparable luxury bags cost $1,000's more than Meqnes bags.
- Family Heirloom — Meqnes is not just for you, it could be for future family members.
- Added Insurance — Meqnes bags come with lifetime warranty on their craftsmanship.
- Timeless Style — A Meqnes bag will always be classy, even passed through generations.
In an ordinary world, the story of Meqnes isn't possible...
Founder Kamal Jahid grow up in Rabat, Morocco’s capital and his co-founder David Liebers is from upstate New York, USA and met on Warsaw’s Nowy Swiat Street through mutual friends, and quickly became good friends, bonding over an interest in men’s fashion.
Founder Kamal Jahid is from Meknes, one of Morocco's 4 imperial cities and ancient capitals. He came to Europe as a student intern, bouncing from Krakow, to Berlin, and Paris before settling in Warsaw. Along the way, he slowly built his empire as a personal stylist, entrepreneur, and author.
Co-founder David Liebers is a 5th-year M.D.-M.P.P. candidate at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. Before medical school, he was sent to Poland to study human rights and stayed there as a Fulbright Scholar. David is a men's fashion connoisseur who met Kamal in Warsaw, where they developed a friendship founded on interests in psychology, entrepreneurship and men's fashion.
Risks and challenges
RISKS AND CHALLENGES
Our products are handmade and we want to make sure each bag is of the highest quality. For this reason, depending on quantity of orders, it is always possible that there are some delays in delivering your MEQNES Product. To avoid this we have very clearly communicated to our partners (the guys who provide the world-class, full-grain vegetable tanned leather, etc.) about our timeline and are confident we can keep to schedule.
The MEQNES Bags you are seeing on this Kickstarter are considered final prototypes. They are very close to the finished product you’ll get, but the design may be subject to final alterations and/or modifications based on our continued testing and refinement.
We take pride in the fact that each of our bags is made by hand in Europe. We stand behind the quality of the men and women who make our bags. MEQNES warrants the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. Our warranty does not cover damage caused by neglect, improper care, accident, or normal wear and tear. If your product falls apart due to a defect in materials or workmanship, we will repair or replace it, in a way we deem reasonable. While all of our products include a warranty against any manufacturer defects, it is not our policy to offer refunds or returns on items received as Kickstarter rewards.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!