Hey, lovers of the Peltedverse... it's time to play!
One of my favorite things when I like a story universe is to read its little interstitial moments, the ones that don't get put in novels because they interrupt the pacing, or aren't relevant. The moments that help flesh out the world, or give you insights into minor characters, or even (sometimes!) show you glimpses of new stories that might be interesting if developed.
This project gives you the chance to see those interstitial moments for one of my Peltedverse series, the Princes' Game... and best of all, you get to choose which ones I write.
So let's talk about how this Kickstarter works! When we hit the project goal, we unlock your ability to "buy" material for this collection from a list of possibilities, each with a price tag. So, for instance, when we hit that project goal, you have a $150 budget. If you want to buy the $75 "Vasiht'h Needs Therapy" vignette, that leaves you with $75 to spend on other scenes or vignettes. As more people toss money in the pot, your budget goes up and you can continue shopping! I'll ask you all to discuss your choices and make your picks, and then I'll put up a poll so you can vote. I'll put the Next Thing in the queue, and when the project accumulates enough money to buy new things, I'll put up a new poll so you can decide again!
The list of possibilities is generated by me...and you too! You can advance scenes or shorts you'd like me to write, and if they're tenable, I will price them out and add them to the list.
These shorts will be compiled into the collection Major Pieces (street date: September 12), along with other PG shorts I've already done for Kickstarters to accompany the Princes' Game series. (So the shorts should all have to be related to the events of that series; save your other suggestions for new collections!) To be clear, suggestions should involve events prior to Healer's Wedding, but can extend all the way into the past so long as they have to do with this series. (So things about Hirianthial and Reese, or Jahir and Vasiht'h prior to their involvement with Lisinthir, or Sediryl prior to her involvement with any of this, will have to wait for their own collections.)
Here's the Starting List (watch this space--I'll add things as you suggest them, or cross them off as we buy them!)
- "Air-Dancing", $200 - The story of how the Chatcaavan Queen learned to dance in the air with her new wings. This is a novelette (longer than a short story, shorter than a novella).
- Vasiht'h Needs Therapy, $75 - Takes place after the events of Some Things Transcend. Vasiht'h, back home from almost dying, decides to talk it out with Allen Tiber.
- Liolesa Hiring Maia, $75 - A vignette about how the Queen acquired a D-per!
- Vasiht'h's Family's Emigration, $500 - A novelette (possibly longer), taking place after the events of From Ruins. Vasiht'h discovers his family wants to come with him to his new home...
- Laniis's Debriefing, $50 - After her rescue from the Chatcaavan throneworld in Wingless, Laniis tells her story to Fleet.
- In the Kitchen, $50 - More than one of you wondered what the staff was thinking when two Eldritch showed up to dinner at the fancy restaurant at Starbase Alpha. I guess we could listen in on those conversations!
- Amber's Backstory, $250 - Why on earth does Jahir even like his brother? And what about him and Beth? Let's meet him when he's at his best.
- "Loving Oviin", $100 - Oviin prior to the events in PG3 and PG4. Let's see him with his nestbrother, Tsonet.
- The Attendant and the Queen, $100 - We get very little of the Attendant in Princes' Game, for someone who will become so important later in Jubilee Summer. See the scene where the Queen confronts his lover, the Twelveworld Lord, on the Vault from his point of view.
- Liolesa and the Chatcaavan Emperor Meeting Over the Treaty Table, $150 - A vignette about the first meeting between dragon king and elf queen. One of the "cut scenes" from From Ruins.
- "Prophet's Vigil", $100 - Liolesa's investiture vigil, with visions.
- "Imperial Consort," $500 - Are we done with royal weddings yet? What about the Queen Ransomed's, and Lisinthir's? Don't worry, those of you bored with balls and fluffy gowns, Chatcaavan weddings are... let's say... a little more EXCITING than Eldritch ones...
- Maia and Uuvek Talk, $150 - Y'all keep asking for this one so... one of your favorite ships! Probably during the events of From Ruins, or just after when the Queen has okayed Uuvek's decision to immigrate.
- The First Meeting of Mind-Mages, $150 - Did anyone notice that Jahir and Lisinthir met Hirianthial (as mind-mages, and not in passing as a face at court) during the end of From Ruins? Probably not, because that was one of the scenes we didn't see! But we could...
- Gale, Whisper, and the New Baby, $100 - The Queen Ransomed gives her newest child to the Emperor... but he's already got several. What do they think of this?
- Sediryl asking for Jahir's Hand in Marriage From His Important People, $100 - Sediryl talks to Vasiht'h about whether he's all right with her marrying his partner... and asks Jeasa for Jahir's hand. Of course the women do the asking among the Eldritch. They're the ones with the power! :D
- Jahir and Lisinthir on the Station, $100 - Wow, this one is really specific, but after Sediryl is healed on the station (post-pirate-base-fire) and heads back to the Eldritch homeworld, Jahir stays on the station in orbit around Selnor to wait for Vasiht'h to return. He and Lisinthir talk.
- Random Scenes From Other Viewpoints (?) - Is there a scene in the existing series you'd like to see from the viewpoint of a different character? (What was Oviin thinking while bathing the Queen? What was Maia thinking while helping Sediryl? What was the Emperor thinking about anything during Wingless? Etc.) Let me know!
- Random Cuddle Scenes (?) - I don't know, I just tossed this in here to make it clear I'm willing to write little interpersonal scenes if there's one you want. :D
That's the plan! Let's make it happen! :D
Risks and challenges
I think the most likely risk for this one is that the 'little stories' will balloon out into large stories, but I've done my best to pick targets I think will stay under novella length. If one of these does exceed novella length (over 40K), I will probably have to adjust the street date for the collection. But I don't anticipate having to adjust it by much; I've given myself enough time (2.5 months--the length of time I usually need to write a novel) that I think we'll be fine.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)