Hey, it's Mike here at MC Fabrications and I'm back with another pen. I've been experimenting with mini pens and I think I came up with something pretty neat - The Quick DisConnect Pen. Or quite simply, the QDC Pen.
Check out the press release at Crowdfundingpr.org
Also seen on every-day-carry.com.
See Update #3 for Space Pen kit!
See Update #5 for details on how to get your brass cap!
Stretch goals #1 and #2 completed!
It seems like I never have a pen when I need it. Stopping for a quick hallmark card? No pen. Impromptu napkin sketch? No pen. Forget to grab a pencil trying to make your tee time? No pen.
I wanted a pen small enough that I could carry around with me in my pocket, on a keychain, or attached to something. I wanted this pen to be non-retractable so that I can't shove something in my pocket to extend the ink and stain my pocket, but I didn't want the cap to come off accidentally. I also wanted the cap to stay with whatever it is attached to so I don't lose it as well.
I remember seeing a cool detachable key ring in an EDC forum a while back. After a bit of research, I found My pen cap! Enter the Quick DisConnect pen cap.
Originally going to be a raw aluminum stick pen, It just didn't feel right. Too thin, too light. So I made the body larger and added a grip. The larger body felt good but testers told me they had a hard time gripping it when their hands are sweaty or slippery. Remember - this is a spur of the moment pen, you shouldn't need to have clean or dry hands to use it.
That brings us to where we are today:
- Materials: 6061 aluminum and 360 Brass
- Body: One-piece design, knurled grip.
- Size: 3.4" without the cap and 3.8" with the cap. 7/16" diameter
- Aluminum Finish: Matte black powdercoat (handmade) or black hard anodized (large quantity)
- Brass Finish: raw machined to tarnish nicely over time.
- Refill: Mini G2 Gel, Fine tip, Black ink.
- QDC Cap: Either sourced as a keychain and only the female end will be used, or (if volumes permit) will be custom machined and assembled.
- Space Pen Refill Adapter Kit is now available. See update #3 for more details!
This pen comes in very handy! Whether it is in your pocket, clipped on your golf bag or gym bag or purse or belt loop, or attached to your keychain. You will always be with a smooth writing, durable, and attractive pen.
Like my last project, this is something that I want to offer in my etsy shop with powdercoated finishes but I also want to expand into anodizing. In order to offer anodizing, items need to be processed in bulk. I have found a manufacturer that will be able to produce the bodies in the higher quantities to keep the anodizing costs realistic.
- Limited quantity rewards will be handmade, offered in aluminum OR brass, and will also have the knurled grip. These will be machined by me in monthly releases.
- Unlimited quantity rewards will be offered in Aluminum and Brass as well. Aluminum Pens will be Hard Anodized Black until the colored stretch goal is reached. Brass will be raw machined finish only.
- Custom pens are now available! I will collaborate with each backer of this level to come up with something unique to them! Includes 3D rendering of design and a nice gift box.
$7,500 - Raw Brass Pens *DONE*
$10,000 - Raw Brass Cap *DONE*
$15,000 - Anodize Color Upgrade - Red, Blue, Orange, and Green
I need this project for a couple reasons. First, in order to purchase these keychains in bulk, I have minimum buys to keep them economical. Yes, I can buy them at the local auto parts or hardware store, but stock is not guaranteed, and buying bulk from a retailer like that is not as easy as it sounds. Second, I'd like to offer anodized products. Anodizing aluminum at home is a long process with many steps and dangerous chemicals. In order to get parts anodized, I need to have them done in bulk also.
Risks and challenges
Handmade Risks - I have made a few of these already and I am confident and comfortable in the design and manufacturing process, there should be no delay with these parts.
Mass produced Risks - I am confident in my supply chain, but since I am the only person doing the designing, quality control, and assembling, the largest risk would be time.
Challenges - The main challenge will be staying on top of my vendors to keep with their promised delivery dates. I was the only person that could hold my last project back and relying on someone else can always delay things.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)