About this project
Did you miss the Kickstarter? You can still pick up the game HERE.
Are you a backer and forgot to add something to your pledge from our huge list of rewards?
No problem, you can still add stuff to your pledge by following these simple steps:
1. Figure out how much you need to pledge rounded to the nearest whole dollar.
2. Click HERE and add the appropriate number of "units" to your cart, for example to add a bonus shark for $3 just add $3 USD of "shipping" to your cart.
3. Check out and pay for your item.
4.Email us directly at email@example.com to tell us what you added on along with your MaydayGames.com Order # and your Kickstarter Username so we can add that stuff to your pledge. This is also the email to contact us if you need to change your address or communicate with us about the KS project.
FINAL DAY, the $85 K reward was been wrapped into the $75 K reward, you will get BOTH for every single copy of the game if this reaches $75 k. Please like/share and beg your friends/family to back this game or consider picking up a 2nd copy for some of the variants/rewards discussed in the latest project update!
HERE IS WHAT YOU ARE GETTING FOR YOUR $18 PLEDGE (note the shark and mat are extra add ons and require $3 and $15 respectively):
$75 K and $65 K rewards switched around, Stickers are now at $65 K!
$45 k Stretch Reward Unlocked on 4/8, you can now add the bonus play mat that works for both/either Get Bit! or Walk the Plank! Just add $15 to your pledge ($12 for early bird backers). Free shipping w/in the USA, add $5 shipping to Canada or $8 shipping worldwide. You can add multiple play mats too, international backers add full shipping on the first mat and 50% shipping on each additional. Canadians add $7 shipping for 2, $10 shipping on 3, $12 shipping on 4, etc.. Worldwide is $12 shipping for 2, $16 shipping for 3, etc.
Also all backers over $18 will now get the PRINT AND PLAY version of the game as soon as the KS project ends! This is a bonus for all backers, no stretch reward, nothing... just the free PRINT AND PLAY version so you can play while you are waiting for game to arrive!
Just increase your pledge by hitting "manage my pledge" and keep the same reward but increase your pledge amount, then at the end of the campaign we will email you to confirm what the extra money is for, it is very simple!
1,000+ likes on Facebook UNLOCKED! EVERY BACKER OF THIS GAME WILL GET A FREE PACK OF MAYDAY CARD SLEEVES WITH EACH COPY OF THE GAME YOU PLEDGE FOR! WOOT!
This is a sequel to our Award Winning Hit Game Get Bit!. How is this a sequel exactly? Please refer to Update #7 where we explain.
Check out the BoardGameGeek Entry for this game HERE. Also the latest rules can be found HERE. We are getting so much international interest that we have had some wonderful volunteers translating the rules into other languages for us. Italian HERE. French HERE. Spanish HERE. German HERE. Portuguese HERE. If you would like to help us add other translations please message us or just do it and let us know!
What can you do to help? Two simple things:
- Step 1: hit the "Like" on Facebook! We are having special rewards for Facebook LIKES so even clicking "LIKE" will help all backers! **Don't see the Facebook Link below the main video next to "Tweet" or "Embed"? Hit "Control-T" to open a new browser tab and login to your FB in the new browser, then refresh the Kickstarter page and you will see the magic "Like" button just below the main video!**
- Step 2: hit "BACK THIS PROJECT BUTTON above!
YES! All stretch rewards that are unlocked will come with EVERY COPY OF THE GAME, including extra copies of the game at international reward levels! Please note some bonuses like the Play Mat and Great White Shark Figure will require extra funds on a per copy basis. All others are FREE TO ALL COPIES OF THE GAME unless otherwise noted!
When Shane & Jared first demoed this game to us, the first thing we thought of was a commonly seen fridge magnet that reads:
This captures the feel of this game to a tee!
"[Walk The Plank]...really captures the feel of a bunch of boys brawling about in an extremely funny, stupid manner... but in a good way! You'll get some great belly laughs as your pirate stupidly throws one of your own men overboard or as your best friend tries to do you in! This is a very confrontational game but it all ends in good fun because the results you are trying to achieve are only rarely accomplished! For my money this is even funnier than GET BIT! and makes for a perfect "PREQUEL" to that game!" -Seth Hiatt, Mayday Games
You can download a copy of the rules HERE.
Walk The Plank! is all about trying to out-guess your fellow shipmates, with often disastrous results. You plan three moves ahead but your crew is so incredibly stupid that if you plan to shove a pirate off the plank on your third move and all he sees are his own best mates, he will still shove away! The bigger the action the worse the results will be for someone, very possibly YOU!
Play order goes clockwise but turn order is COUNTER CLOCKWISE which really makes the mechanic hilarious for this game!
On your turn you will:
- Choose 3 of your 10 action cards and place them face down in front of you (first action on top)
- Resolve each action in turn by going around the table clockwise three times, adding/removing planks, pushing and shoving and just generally making a fool of yourself.
- Laugh your head off as your men thrash about stupidly, bungling most of your good intentions
- Retrieve most of your cards and begin again. Some cards marked with a skull are too powerful to play in back to back rounds, leave those face up for one round before retrieving them.
At the end of a round check for the end of game condition, if there are only two (or fewer) pirates left or only pirates of one color left, the game is over. There may be a shared victory (one of each of two players' pirates left), a solo victory (only one player's pirate(s) left), or NO VICTORY when every pirate has Walked The Plank!
Please note that the "Shove Left" and "Shove Right" are referring to pushing the player sitting to your left or right. You do not shove someone "left" or "right" on the plank, but rather these mean you can only push the token of the player sitting to your left or right. We hope these new "Language free" cards (unlocked at $12,000 in funding here on Kickstarter) will help people remember the cards' actions at a glance and make the game more accessible to non-English speakers. Anyone interested in translating the rule book into another language, you are more than welcome to do so and post the text of the rules in any other language HERE for all to share! You can see all files uploaded to date HERE.
SESSION REVIEW #1 on BGG: "I still remember how much I enjoyed the game ( it is a light B&P type of game and not to long, which is what I like ). But the thing is, I still think about how fun it is and can not wait to be able to buy this one." -Hendal, BGG User, Puerto Rico
SESSION REVEW #2 on BGG: "This is a fast, fun, filler game that reminds me of a more confrontational Cartagena or Knizia's Formula Motor Racing game. It's a game of survival and you need to best utilize your 3 actions per turn to try and keep at least one of your pirates alive through the end of the game.
The game has aspects of Robo Rally as you need to "program" your next 3 moves in advance - making it difficult to know exactly what is going to happen, but that kind of "controlled chaos" is right up my alley and I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Certain card combo's can work to your advantage and anticipating when the right time to get rid of a section of the plank is essential to putting yourself in a position to win." -Manowarplayer, BGG User, California
"I'm friends with the designers, but that doesn't change my opinion of Walk The Plank. I've played this game many, many times, and it's always been lots of fun. Trying to out-think your opponents is an interesting challenge, and it's frustratingly fun when unexpected things happen to mess with your carefully laid plans... I'm excited to see this get a real production. If you like fast, fun, full-of-laughs fillers, don't hesitate to back this." Scott Firestone; Theology Of Games;
Tom Vasel's Thoughts:
"Walk The Plank is a game that I very much enjoyed, ...you're trying to out guess your opponents. What are they going to do at any point in time?
There is player elimination in the game which means you'll be out of the game, but since we're talking a 20 minute game here, and you probably won't be out until the last 5 minutes or so, it doesn't really matter that much.
... Charging, shoving people, its very entertaining! Sometimes great big laughs will be found because somebody will retract the plank and they didn't realize that half or all of their pirates were going to be standing on the edge of the plank when they did it!
Think of it almost as a very, very light form of Robo Rally where people are going to be programming what they do each turn... but you're only programming three actions. But you do have that control over the game. I'm very excited to see what the final components will look like, and you have a chance to do that too, so jump on this Kickstarter. A fun, light game. Everyone I played with had a good time with it!" -Tom Vasel, The Dice Tower, Florida, USA
After we started working on Walk the Plank! we realized we had something special and wanted to make the artwork truly unique. We wanted something really different and Max Holiday, our Lead Designer on this project, suggested we commission Mike Groves from PoopBird, a famous tattoo artist.
We were really intrigued by his other work and are delighted with the results! Tattoo artist turned Board Game Art Designer.. WHY NOT? If you are interested you can check out some of his other art at his Facebook Page. Really good quality work and an amazing artist!
Let's face it, to get a game this good at a $20 price point means we need to print lots of copies. To print lots of copies takes... well... lots of money. We have already invested in the design, layout, graphics and artwork, now we need your help to, well, print lots of copies. We hope with your help we will be able to get this game made in a big way. Every dollar this project can raise will go to increasing the print run.
We are taking those savings and upping the production value of the game through stretch rewards and also keeping the MSRP as low as we can. A game with these components and "fun factor" easily sells for $25-$30 or even more. With your help we will keep the retail price low to allow everyone to share in this game, not just the backers. Please consider backing this project today!
Add-On Awards are rewards that you can add to your existing pledge as a backer. These are special items at special prices that we can "Add On" to your reward. To pledge for these items simply hit the "Manage My Pledge" button near the top of the page. Then increase the value of the pledge but DO NOT change your reward selection. You will get the reward AND this new Add-On Item too. We will ask you what the item(s) you added on were in a survey we will send you when the campaign ends.Here are the Add Ons for you:
- Add-on Reward #1: Get Bit Tin Edition + KS Extras for $29 (note this includes the game Get Bit Deluxe Tin Edition in the English version! Also Get Bit! extras are available too! Note everything below is only for Get Bit! and none of these extras will do anything for your Walk The Plank! game. If you want more details on what these extras are or how they modify the Get Bit! game please check Update #5.
- Add-on Reward #2: , Add Weykick, normally $140+ shipping or more, for just $129 USD to your pledge. This was another hit on Kickstarter, see the original project HERE. Shipping is $29 within the USA and will ship out within 2 weeks of the KS project ending as these are in stock. Canada/Hawaii/AK add $45 shipping, Worldwide add $60 shipping!
- Add-on Reward #3: Now get Crokinole for just $100 and extras for cheap too! Sorry Crokinole and the carrying case are only w/in the lower 48 states due to their size. Discs and clock can go worldwide. We have only Cherry left in stock after our recent Kickstarter rewards shipped out, check out the project HERE.
- More Add-on Rewards are now available for BACKERS ONLY. These are special unadvertised offers for the project to give us that extra push and unlock more rewards, check it out backers!
Social Media Stretch Rewards!
We are also trying something new here, for every 1,000 "LIKES" this project gets on FACEBOOK we will give another FREE PACK of Mayday Card Sleeves to each and every backer who pledges $18 or more. Yes, even if we get 10,000 "Likes" and you pledge just $18, you will still get 10 FREE packs of sleeves! These will be any pack of sleeves smaller than 65 X 100 MM in dimensions. Don't wanna back this project? Help out ALL THE BACKERS by "Liking" this project on Facebook! UPDATE: We reached 1,000 LIKES on 3/26, every backer will now get a free pack of card sleeves with every single copy of this game that they pledge for!
**Don't see the Facebook Link below the video next to "Tweet" or "Embed"? You must be logged into FB in your browser to see it!**
We are doing this game at the really low price point of $20 USD retail to allow it to get out there to as many people as we can. This is just a bare-bones edition and it will play really well and have great artwork, but we really want to make it even better! If we can get enough funds to really do this game justice, we will reward all of you backers as well! Here is a brief summary of each reward level:
$8 K - Upgraded Cards -UNLOCKED!
- We will upgrade the cards in the game to super-high quality! That is 310 GSM, Grey Core Center Cards with a Linen Finish Texture! These are the best quality available and the cards will look and feel really premium! Eaten By Zombies Quality Cards! Unlocked on Day 1, about 6 hours into the project! WOW!
12 k - Language Independent Cards -UNLOCKED!
- See updated cards above.
18 k -Upgraded Starting Player Token -UNLOCKED!
- You don't really need a nice starting player token, but we would love to include one of the "Captain" to show influence in the game going to the starting player. This would be a cool upgrade and could really look great! UNLOCKED on DAY 2 of the KS project! See image of the starting player token below. It will be included in every copy of the game and will make remembering who the starting player is much easier!
25 k - Meeples, Meeples, Meeples! -UNLOCKED!
- As you can see from the Dice Tower Introduction, the game works fine with just some simple tokens, but we want to include some MEEPLES, some wooden pirate shaped men that are 21 X 23 X 8 MM (roughly). That would be 3 of each color in 5 colors, for a total of 15 meeples (pirate shaped tokens). These are expensive to upgrade to but with your help we can add this to ALL copies of the game! Instead of discs we will do something like this:
35 k - Bonus Shark Add On Available to all Backers at $18+ - UNLOCKED!
- We are calling this a Get Bit! prequel. Never heard of Get Bit!?? Well it won the Origins Award for 2012 for the best Party/Family Game of the Year! Our latest pirate version was a huge hit on Kickstarter and it comes with a great SHARK figure. We would love to get a custom run of these made for this game and make them available to every customer who is pledging at $18 or more (yes your $18 pledge still would include this offer). The figure would be available to all backers at $18 or more for just a $3 add on per game, if we can get to $35,000. This would be really nice to put at the end of the plank for you backers and this extra Great White Shark would not be included in the game for anyone but Kickstarter Backers, though we might make it available down the road at conventions or via some other means if we have some left after the KS project. You can choose white or the original grey if you prefer, see image below:
45 k -Dual purpose Get Bit! and Walk The Plank! combined Playing Mat -UNLOCKED
- At Essen, Germany in 2012 we had a neat little demo mat that we used to show Get Bit to people. We had literally over 100 people ask us if they could have or purchase this sharp looking play mat for use with Get Bit! We have wanted to make it available to players ever since then and have redesigned it to look great for Get Bit! or Walk The Plank. Here is a draft version of it to wet your whistle:
If we get to $45,000 on this Kickstarter then we will print this mat and make it available to any and all of you at a low cost of just $15 per mat. Canadian backers will need to add $5 shipping to the mat and Worldwdie will need to add $8 shipping for the mat. It will be available for pick up at Essen 2013 at no shipping costs, and possibly GenCon as well!
Update: OK, so it isn't low cost is it? $15 is spendy for a mat. Well it isn't just any mat. It will be REALLY NICE: It is 70x70cm in size and will feature UV printing. It is printed on Extreme Classic PVC 500 gsm material. This will be durable and not scratch off the top paint layer easily as it is for people to play a game on. For the packing, each piece pack with bubble bag then individually rolled in the cardboard mailers.
Backers can add this reward as follows:
Early Bird Backers: $12 per mat
All others: $15 per mat
Shipping to USA: Included!
Shipping to Canada: $5 for first mat, $2 more for 2nd, $3 for third, $2 for 4th mat, etc...
Shipping Worldwide: $8 for first mat, $4 for each additional.
$55k Reward -Ghost Meeple Mini-Expansion
By very popular demand we are making this really silly and totally unauthorized expansion available. This is NOT authorized by the designers, not play tested and will have no official rules or info on it. It is a secret mini expansion that is just a ghost meeple. This ghost meeple will be awarded to the first pirate who is fully eliminated from the game (all 3 pirates are OUT. This player will continue to push/shove and generally cause mayhem with his ghost pirate, haunting the rest of the crew. He can't do physical things like cut or extend the plank, but can push and shove, but can't be pushed or shoved himself. This will be a white colored pirate meeple and may even feature glow in the dark paint if we can get that done by the factory, no promises though. Again, this is just a silly expansion that is totally unauthorized, but may well turn out to be a lot of fun!
65 k - Pirate Meeple Stickers for ALL copies of the game!
We hope to make the pirate meeples for this game (unlocked at $25,000) and if we do we'd love to offer free pirate stickers to all of you for kicking this up to the $65,000 level. This would involve a rework of our existing template for our Get Bit! Pirate Stickers but the art/look would be similar. Of course the pirate meeples are wooden and NOT the plastic figures shown below. These would be included in ALL copies of the game for all backers at no extra charge!
75 k -Shark/Dolphin Die Mini Expansion for all backers at $18 or higher!
This is a single D6 Die that will have on it the numbers 2-5 as well as a number 0 (with a shark) and a number 9 with a dolphin. This shark/dolphin die would be fun for the first person to lose a man off the edge to roll a single time. If it is a 0 then he loses his guy for good and cannot do anything (eaten by the shark), if a number 2-5 comes in it is good luck for him, he can move that many pirates one length toward the edge of the plank, but cannot use it to push anyone overboard. If the #9 comes up with the dolphin, it is extremely good loock and his man actually gets pushed back onto the plank, but remains on the last plank spot. Additionally no one can play the "shorten the plank" on the round after the #9 comes up to protect this one man for one round.
85k Stretch reward, NOW just $75 K!: Squid Die Mini Expansion
This mini expansion is essentially a single die, just like the $55 k stretch reward. Die will have 6 sides, with The Calm Sea (3 sides), Tidal Wave (2 sides), Kraken (Squid) on one side. It is rolled any time someone falls off the end. Calm Sea nothing happens, Tidal Wave pushes all pirates that are furthest off the plank back toward the ship and Squid would mean anyone on the very last plank is pulled off into the sea by the monster!
99 k - Future Bonus Stretch Reward to be Announced Soon!
Risks and challenges
We have had several successful projects on Kickstarter and know what it takes to get a good game made. We could fall behind on production if our art, reward planning or production schedule aren't met. We feel we are qualified to overcome any potential problems though and look forward to a successful project, with your help!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)