FINALLY Crokinole is back!
Mayday Games is not new to Crokinole, in fact this will be our 4th Crokinole version since we started making Crokinole boards over 5 years ago. In fact you can check out our last Crokinole board offering from 2013 on Kickstarter HERE. So why has it been 3 years since our last board? In a word: Quality. How good is it? Listen to the last 90 seconds of this review OF THE ACTUAL FINISHED PRODUCT! Yes, Bowers Game Corner got our very first copy of the game flown in from China and has the very first review of what you are pledging for!
We have been through 3 different factories and have tried 3 more since 2013 but just never found one that could deliver on the product we demanded at a price our customers could afford. Well after more prototypes than you can shake a stick at we have finally done it! Yes, a high-quality, affordable board is finally here again! This is going to be our best board yet!
Why Back Now
- Very Limited Quanity we have just a few hundred boards available and we just can't promise when we will make another batch. It may be another 3 years, and chances are these will NOT be available in stores! There are just 450 of these available! That is 420 for backers (STRICTLY LIMITED TO ONE PER BACKER) + 30 for retail stores (STRICTLY LIMITED TO THREE PER STORE).
- Direct delivery to your door! For the first time ever, we are offering direct shipping to many countries! Yes shipping will be expensive, but for the first time ever, almost anyone can back!
- Exclusive features! With four pads on the bottom of the board, recessed screws to protect your table and inset eyelets for easy hanging, plus a scoring track built right into the disc storage box, this is one well thought-out board! Your board will be 30.25 inches in diameter by 3" thick and comes in a double-boxed box that is 34.5 X 34.5 X 4.5 Inches and weighs in at 17.4 pounds! Yes this is a very solid board!
- Huge Savings! Most high-quality boards will set you back $300 or more, but our goal is to offer a high-quality board to you at 1/3 the price! This board will retail for $150 or more but you are getting it for just $99! Go search for a high-quality board, they can cost $300 or more! You are getting some amazing features in a very well thought out board at a fraction of the cost!
- High Quality! We have searched high and low and finally found the right factory for the job! Yes, we have heard your many emails and calls asking to bring Crokinole out of the vault and here it is!
Our boards stack up very well against other existing boards:
What is Crokinole?
If you are into board games perhaps you've heard of this elusive game, it is ranked #60 out of more than 60,000 ranked board games on BoardGameGeek and #3 in Family Games! Yes it is that good. We won't bore you with the endless reviews, just check them out for yourself at BoardGameGeek, this is one game that lives up to the hype!
How to Play and Review of our very first board by Tom Vasel:
Download the rules HERE.
Why Our Board?
Sure you can buy a $200-$300 board out there, but maybe your significant other would kill you. Don't buy a board just to have to buy a casket that costs even more. Save yourself all that trouble and get a practical board.
"High-quality boards at 1/3 the price!"
After more than three years of searching we have finally found a factory we can trust to deliver the best generation of Crokinole boards yet, and at an unbelievable cost! Our 2017 edition promises to be our best ever!
Bower's Game Corner just did an unboxing video of our 2017 board, see exactly what you are getting!
We got our final production copy in from China via Fedex air to the USA and did an unboxing video so you can see exactly what you are getting!
How is that? Well for one, Seth was there on site to inspect and teach the factory on all things crokinole. Yes he is an American but he has lived in China for 5 years. It is the only way to get a high-quality board at this price! Here he is discussing the boards with the factory a few months ago:
2017 Board: Our BEST EVER!
We have made several thousand boards and have learned a lot. These boards are amazing! They will include:
- MDF/Plywood Base with 100% Mahogany (hard wood) veneer playing surface, nicely finished, including 8 pegs
- Full-color Instruction Book
- 24 Convex/Concave Discs (one side is convex and the other is concave), 12 in black and 12 in natural wood. Having Convex/Concave discs makes a huge difference when playing the game. Wanna know more? Check out this fan-made video from our last generation board. Most discs were convex/concave, but not all. This time we got it right!
- Storage box for your Crokinole Discs that includes a scoring track on the lid for easy scoring
- Feet on the bottom of the board to protect your table
- recessed screws on the underside of the board to protect your table
- pre-installed eyelets for easy hanging
- Our best-yet packaging with 4-way styrofoam for each board
- double-boxed protection for every shipment
The boards consist of a 26" diameter playing surface + 2 inch ditch + 1/4 inch rim = 30.50 inches in total diameter and 3 inches thick. The game will come double boxed in a box with dimensions of 34.5 X 34.5 X 4.5 Inches and weights in at a massive 17.4 pounds (7.9 KG). Yes these are HUGE!
Our boards meet the The World Crokinole Championship™ specifications which are:
- 26" diameter playing surface (66cm)
- distance from 'dead' centre of the '20' hole to the pin/post circle is 4" (102mm)
- distance from pin/post circle to 10/5 circle is 4" (102mm)
- distance from 10/5 circle to 5/start circle is 4" (102mm)
- distance from 5/start circle to the edge of the playing surface is 1" (25.5mm)
These equidistant factors contribute to the 'science,' design, and original intent of the game. "20" hole diameter is generally 1-3/8" (35mm) with a depth of ¼" (6mm) width of dividing circle lines is recommended as 1/16" (1.5mm) but no more than1/8" (3mm) width of ditch/gutter (from side rail/rim to edge of playing surface) is a minimum 2" (51mm).
This standard is neither new nor something defined solely for the WCC event. Rather, this is the paradigm viewed from dimensions established more than 120 years ago.
International standard disc size has been set at 32mm diameter x 10mm thick ± .5 mm.
Most Kickstarters have tons of cool/fun stretch rewards. This is NOT that project. We only have a few things we can add here and we are doing it, but don't expect much. Rather than fill the project full of fluff we are providing this game at a rock-bottom price.
$5 k - Funded! WOOT!
$15 k - Feet on the bottom of the scoring box. We know those scoring boxes aren't a big deal, but if you ever put your scoring box on the board it could scratch the board, so we'll add some feet!
$20 k - BONUS +2 extra discs of each color as extras for you! That is 14 of each color (black and natural wood) for 28 total discs!
There will be some surprises along the way on this campaign, including some add-ons like more discs, some rubber/screw expansions, our very popular Crokinole Clock, and even some carrying cases, but those will be offered after the project is completed as a part of the survey process. If you want any of these items you MUST pledge for a board.
Shipping is calculated based on your country, so please pledge and enter the country you want your rewards delivered to.
Shipping is as cheap as $8 to China or as cheap as $15 to the USA. All other countries, your shipping is going to be very expensive indeed due to the size/weight of the game and due to the fact that it is extremely well built and therefore, HEAVY. Sorry about that!
Note that shipping will be from the USA for all US backers and all other rewards will ship directly from our fulfillment warehouse in China. We will state the direct manufacturing replacement cost on the customs form for all non-USA shipments, which means the shipment will be over the free VAT/CUSTOMS/DUTY thresholds for most everyone. All such fees are the responsibility of the backer. We don't expect almost any international backers for this project due to the shipping costs, but we wanted to at least let international backers have the option!
An Evolution of Crokinole with Mayday Games
This is our 4th generation board and we have learned a lot over the years. Interested in the evolution in our boards? Here is a quick stroll down memory lane:
In 2011 we released our first board and while it was pretty functional and did what it set out to do, the veneer was a synthetic paper veneer rather than a hardwood veneer as we were promised by the factory. This version worked well but it was our first effort and our most basic model. Factor in the synthetic veneer rather than real hardwood and we admit this was a poor showing, although 5 years later and plenty of people still love our first edition boards. This was also the board that won us a lot of bad reviews for our poor organization and pretty terrible customer service. We had several people return boards for refunds and while everyone got a full refund or a replacement board, it still left a bad taste in our mouths, and our customers. But boy have we learned from that!
In 2012 we launched another board and upped our game significantly with a very nice real hardwood veneer, an upgraded scoring box to keep tokens in and score the game, but the scoring pegs were too large for the holes on the scoring box. It was a huge step in the right direction, but we still wanted to do better. There were also a few damaged boards because our packaging efforts were far from perfect. Still, this was an amazing board and we sold out of them very quickly.
In 2013 we launched a Kickstarter (check it out HERE) for a new version which was amazing... but shipping box wasn't quite up to the task and we had some damaged boards. We also had a few minor logistical problems but the board still sold out in record time. 275 Backers and the remaining few after that sold out quickly. We have been getting begged to make a new version for 3 years now! Well the wait is finally over!
We've had a lot of previous successful Kickstarter projects in the past. You'd think by now that we'd be set and not need to run such a project any more, right? Well, not so much. While Mayday has been successful, we're still very small with our cash is tied up in other projects. In fact, if you look at Mayday's early publishing history, we introduced just three new games in 2010 and 2011 before we discovered Kickstarter.
Since utilizing Kickstarter, we've launched over 30 new games, and that is ALL thanks to backers like you. By using Kickstarter, we're able to gauge interest and get the game made in much larger quantities and with cheaper prices to our customers. This is a large part of why we were able to offer our last few projects at such a low price point. With this much stuff in the game and such a small company, this would only be possible with the support of the Kickstarter community.
We are not perfect, but we HAVE done 34 prior successful KS projects and 31 of those are completed. Only Voodoo is overdue right now and backers outside the USA are already getting that one. Our other two that are still unfulfilled are on track to be on time and we are constantly striving to get things delivered on time. If you want to see how we have done on our previous Kickstarters you can check out the list HERE.
If you are interested in seeing more of our experience with the factory in China check out these videos:
And for a general overview of how board games are made, check this out:
Our CEO, Seth, lived in China for 5 years in Suzhou, near Shanghai and has helped us to make our games high quality and at an extraordinary value!
Risks and challenges
This project doesn't have any risks to speak of if we meet our goal. The factory is ready to publish and the art and layout has been completed. Any additionally needed changes should be completed prior to the end of the campaign. We have launched 30+ prior Kickstarter projects. .
Anyone missing anything at all from any prior project please send us a message here on Kickstarter and we'll get you replacements sent immediately. We've had over 34,000 backers, so we expect a few of you may have slipped through the cracks. Thanks again for all of the support!
We have a few undelivered KS projects at present, but we expect to have this one delivered on time. We're putting extra time into our forecast for delivery to ensure this project will NOT be delayed beyond the estimated delivery date.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)