Mayday Games has had a long partnership with Korea and its dexterity games, from Tok Tok Woodman to Click Clack Lumberjack and most recently Coconuts! We have been asked time and again to bring Bling Bling Gemstone to the USA and with your help we can make that happen!
We released the original version of this game back in 2011 on Kickstarter HERE, called Tok Tok Woodman. We also released Click Clack Lumberjack in 2013 HERE on Kickstarter. Both of these versions are currently sold out in the USA and we are proud to bring you this new version. Check out the video review from the Dice Tower below. To summarize though, Tom Vasel says if you are going to get one version of this game, that this is the version to get as it has the most variety to game play.
Note this game has only be released on a very limited basis in Korea and we are hoping to bring it to the rest of the world through Kickstarter! Possible changes to the rules and graphics are still up in the air.
Watch Eric Martin's overview of the game from BGG News below:
Comments from BGG:
10/10: "Quick to set up, quick to teach, quick to play, and very engaging and fun in such a short amount of time. I think this is going to become one of my game night staples so long as I'm gaming with people that like dexterity games." -Edna Lindebury, Columbus Ohio, USA
"Great silly fun for the whole family! My six year old girl jusr loves it. Quick gameplay and lots of tension. Only drawback is the kind of fiddly setup." -Andreas Josefsson, Sweden
"Hilarious" -Lief Klein Konijntje, The Netherlands
"Neat little dexterity time that catches the eye and plays in just a few minutes. I think this will be a keeper for me, because it's so unique and charming." -Zee Garcia, Homestead Florida, USA
Remember, you can use multiple copies of the game to make an even larger game and you can even combine versions of the game for more crazy fun!
We are still finalizing things on this game, but the rules to this game are simple, watch any of the videos above or just follow these directions:
1) Set up the pieces as a tower
2) Every player gets 2 hits with the pick axe. Outside pieces give you points and the core (middle) pieces are negative 10 points.
3) The game ends when all the outside pieces are gone, highest score wins.
Normal Scoring: Clear pieces are +1 Point, Pink are +2 and Red are +3
Variants: In a 3 player game you can assign each player a color (clear, pink or red) and each piece that is hit off is +2 points for your color, -1 point for someone else's color.
Lots of other "house rule" variants are encouraged too!
This game is quite expensive to produce and we just don't know if we can justify releasing it, but we have had a lot of interest in the game so Kickstarter seemed like a perfect place to test the waters. We can only offer this great new game if we get enough support for it here so we can cover the high manufacturing and shipping/distribution costs. Please help us make this game a reality and support this project!
Update 4/21/2014: Initial 500 Sold out and 2nd Tier announced!
We know a lot of you have jumped on board at least partially due to the "limited" nature of the game, I.E. there only being 500 copies available. But what shall we do for the 500 other people who want to join this Kickstarter but can't? What shall we do with the pledges for more than one copy for those who pledged for them? It doesn't seem fair to keep others out for the next 25 days while the campaign runs out, but it also isn't fair to you early backers to basically dilute the "value" of your game by increasing the production of the game either, if that is even possible. We are aware of both of these points of view and also want to be true to the intent of Kickstarter, which is to allow grass-roots support for truly exciting projects. With that in mind we are doing the following:
1) Keeping the original 500-game print run as is, all of you who are in on one of the original pledge rounds... congratulations, you will be getting one of just 500 copies of the game that include a Kickstarter-Backed Sticker on the game that is hand numbered as one of 500 original backers. The numbers on the stickers will be randomly assigned to the first 500 pledges. If you pledged for more than one copy through a single-copy pledge, only your first copy will come with this sticker, as we have 500 stickers only.
2) Each of these first 500 copies will include the Golden Axe at no extra charge. Each of these 500 will also include some Kickstarter Exclusive cards for use during the game. Details of this mini expansion are below, but each of you will get a set of these cards at no charge and included with every copy of the game you pledge for. That means if you pledged for 2 copies of the game at the $29 level you will still get 2 Golden Axe Expansions AND 2 sets of card, though only one of your copies of the game will have the limited edition, hand-numbered sticker.
3) We have talked to the factory and begged and pleaded with our Korean partners and they have generously agreed to bend over backwards to allow us to get another 500 units of the game from them. These will be non-numbered copies and will first go to meet the demand for any "original 500" backers who have extra copies in their pledges.
We will then make about 350 of these extra copies available on Kickstarter to allow us to continue to accept new pledges for the next 3+ weeks until the end of the campaign. We have talked to the factory at length and there is simply no way to get us more than 1,000, that will be IT for our June fulfillment, regardless of how the KS goes.
4) We will offer the "2nd tier" backers, those getting in on the next round, the game including the golden axe expansion, but without the hand-numbered, limited edition sticker, and if they want the KS cards they will have to pay a little extra for them. Their rewards will also be priced higher than the "original 500".
We know this may not please all of you, but we feel it is the best balance at preserving the first 500 copies while allowing the true intent of Kickstarter to be maintained. We are totally shocked to be in this position just 4 days into the campaign and honored by all of your support. We hope you will all enjoy this game as much as we do and look forward to fulfilling your rewards!
Stretch Goal #1
We reached our first stretch goal of $10,000 on this project in less than 3 days so we will include a copy of our Golden Axe Expansion with EVERY copy of the game! This is a golden axe that is of a different shape than the pick axe that comes with the game. When you choose to use the golden axe rather than the regular axe then you only get one "chop" with the axe rather than two, but all points from that "chop" are DOUBLED, either for better or for worse! Checkout this axe expansion and reviews/details HERE.
We are only offering a few copies of the game in total so the potential for "rewards" is very small here. We are offering this game at a significant discount off of what the retail price would need to be to bring this game to the USA already, so there just isn't much room for stretch rewards. We don't have any further stretch rewards planned at this point, but we do have some great add-ons and specials to offer all backers!
7-Card Mini Expansion
We are giving our first 500-backers (sold out as of April 22) this "mini expansion" for free as a special thank you for believing in this project and making it possible! All other backers can add this expansion to their rewards for just $2 more.
At the start of the game shuffle and deal one of each of these cards to all players. Graphics for these cards are coming soon but they will fit the theme/feel of the existing art. Each card is a one-time use card.
- Cave In! Play on another player, that player loses their turn.
- Dead Canary: Play this card on another player's turn, this player must hit the tower with their pick, with their eyes closed!
- Strike It Rich! Play this card on your own turn, you score double points for anything you knock off this turn (even center cores!)
- Dynamite! Take an extra turn (4 hits instead of 2)
- Broken Handle! (Play on another player) Your pick axe is broken, you have to strike the column while holding one tip of the axe head and striking the column with the other tip of the head (do not use the handle at all!)
- Claim Jumper: When you play this card, randomly take one collected gem from each player: Warning, if a player has no gems you must take a stone column piece from that player. If the player has no pieces then they steal a piece of their choice from you!
- Jeweler's Loop: Play this on any other player, you discover imperfections in their gems. All of that player's red gems are worth one less point during final scoring.
We are also offering a copy of Coconuts to our USA backers ONLY. We are sorry but we cannot offer this internationally since we only have the USA rights to sell this game. This hit game was really popular on our last Kickstarter HERE. Also you will get 3 bonus brown coconuts for each copy of the game you add to your rewards!
Just add $28 to your pledge but keep your pledge level the same. At the end of the campaign we will have you fill out a survey to ask you what the extra funds are for, it really isn't difficult at all!
Tok Tok Woodman, newly revised edition with larger packaging and better insert with a higher-quality box! Note the right side image of the old packaging vs. the new larger box with great new insert on the left side of the image. Backers can add this brand new version of the game in ENGLISH for just $24 more. Shipping to the USA is included, shipping to Canada add another $7 and worldwide add another $12 shipping to your existing pledge. You can add a 2nd copy of this for $24 more too. Limit 2 per backer and note the shipping for 2 copies to Canada is $10 and shipping for 2 copies worldwide is $18.
Click Clack Lumberjack! can also now be added on for just $19 for existing backers! Note this will come "unassembled" and that means simply that you will have to put the box together to put the pieces in. Shipping to the USA is included, shipping to Canada add another $6 and worldwide add another $8 shipping to your existing pledge. You can add a 2nd copy of this for $19 more too. Limit 2 per backer and note the shipping for 2 copies to Canada is $9 and shipping for 2 copies worldwide is $12.
Risks and challenges
This project doesn't have any risks to speak of if we need our goal, the factory is ready to go so if we meet our goal then the game is going to happen and happen quickly. We just need to work up the details and get them produced. We have launched more than a dozen Kickstarter Projects and have delivered on all of them except for our last couple which are still finishing up.
Hold Your Breath finished up in December 2013 and it's projected reward delivery date is April 2014, though it may be a little late as all the extra rewards and things are taking a little longer to get produced than we had anticipated. We hope to have these delivered in May/June 2014.
Our other recent campaign was Coconuts! and it was scheduled to be delivered in April 2014. All rewards for Coconuts have shipped out and should be delivered or delivering as this campaign is underway.
Anyone missing anything at all from any prior project please send us a message here on Kickstarter and we will get you replacements sent immediately. We have had over 5,000 backers so we expect a few of you may have slipped through the cracks. Thanks again for all of the support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)