'Leap to Flame'
Concert & Community Event
- Friday, July 18, 2014 ~ 7 pm downbeat, doors at 6:30
- Lincoln Hall at Portland State University
- 1620 SW Park Avenue Portland, Oregon 97201
- $20 Ticket Price
- ~ students & low income: $10-$15 sliding scale ~
Building on the successes of two new CD projects, all-star Portland musician Max Ribner is creating a live music and community event, ‘Leap to Flame.’
“‘Leap to Flame’ is intended to spark change and encourage people to discover their purpose and passion.” - Max Ribner
With three extraordinary musical acts, two CD releases, and wonderfully nutritious treats, this ambitious, family-friendly concert is unlike anything Portland has ever seen. ‘Leap to Flame’ is heart- and health-oriented, full of musical encouragement, and honors children, elders, and the arts.
Here is the evening’s amazing lineup:
1. Max Ribner Band - Max Ribner Band will surely get you dancing, taking you on a spiritual journey of hope and inspiration. This 11-piece band offers gospel, soul, and jazz music deeply rooted in peace, compassion, and healing. This concert will release ‘Leap to Flame,’ Max Ribner Band‘s second CD. Featured on this album are 50 of Portland’s top musicians including Bibi McGill (of Beyoncè), Liv Warfield (of Prince), and the soaring vocals of Saeeda Wright.
2. Youth Music Empowerment - Max is the leader and mentor of Youth Music Empowerment, a choir of young children supported by the rhythm section of Max Ribner Band. A dry eye might be hard to find when these inspiring voices fill Lincoln Hall with soulful songs crafted by the children themselves. This concert will also release “Wolf Pak,” the first CD of Youth Music Empowerment.
In each Youth Music Empowerment gathering, Max encourages children to sing it loud, enlivening their faith in themselves and letting their personal muse shine brightly. Through improvising, songwriting, and modeling positive health, Max gives these children a sacred outlet, a safe haven for their expression and development. As the children continue participating, the flame of musical creativity grows within them and powerfully radiates out into their lives, choices, and actions.
3. Four Winds Foundation - Elder Sweet Medicine will be featured, providing Native American wisdom, storytelling, and ceremony. Throughout the night there will be traditional indigenous songs that remind us to carry the ancient simplicity, the balancing force that simultaneously grounds and uplifts. Sweet Medicine is the spiritual leader of Four Winds Foundation, a collective of individuals dedicated to offering ceremonies, vision quests, rights of passage for youth, sweat lodges, women’s and men’s retreats, as well as classes in primitive skills.
Nutritional Nourishment - Max offers a healthy alternative through music and reminds us all that it is important to feel good about ourselves internally and externally. At intermission there will be fresh, organic vegetable & fruit juices of the highest quality. Also available will be handcrafted delights provided by Kilikina’s Chocolat. Each batch of chocolat is created with various combinations of organic & raw Ecuadorian cacao, super-foods, medicinal herbs, spices, and essential oils.
Your Generous Donations Will Support: Theater rental fee, union theater workers, album printing and publicity.
Long Term Vision - Max’s long-term vision is to travel with this production into challenged areas of society. ‘Leap to Flame’ is the first spark in a sweeping fire of positivity which will change the atmospheres of rehabilitation centers, jails, and troubled youth centers the world over, leaving a peaceful essence behind.
Max's Bio - Berklee College of Graduate, Max Ribner has built a solid reputation as a top-notch trumpet and flugelhorn musician. Max has performed with such notable Portland musicians as: Esperanza Spalding, Liv Warfield, Medicine For the People, Devin Phillips, The Shook Twins, Ben Darwish, Tim Snider, Sara Tone, Everyone Orchestra, Paul Creighton Project, Michalangela, Laura Ivancie, Nicole Berke, Saeeda Wright, Tony Smiley, Mel Brown, Joey Porter Funk Tributes, Chuck Israels (of the Bill Evans Trio), Worth, members of Pink Martini, members of Stevie Wonder, members of Shy Girls and Grammy Award Winner Patrick Lamb. Max has also been honored to share the stage with Jeff Lorber, Motet, Gary Burton, Yellowjackets, Rebelution, Ryan Montbleau, Zach Deputy, Freedom Tribe, Hassan Hakmoun, Dave Stringer, members of Tower of Power and members of Buddy Rich’s band.
Max has performed in the following Portland venues: Jimmy Max, The Crystal Ballroom, The Aladdin Theater, Doug Fir, Heathman Hotel and the Alberta Rose. Festivals he has played include: Beloved Festival, Earth Dance, North West Reggae Festival, Cascade Festival, Portland Blues Festival, Portland Jazz Festival, Portland Rose Festival and Portland Streetcar Festival. Recently, Max’s playing was highlighted when he performed solo at the Portland Trail Blazer’s game.
- Sweet Medicine ~ Elder of Four Winds Foundation
- Gratitude to Nahko Bear & Medicine for the People
- Special nourishment by Kilikina's Chocolat
Special Thank You:
- Curtis Kidwell of Bullseye Disk, Film & Post Editing
- Noah Woodburn & New North Sound
- Joe Hall & Camp Creek Records
- the Hart Tribe & Hart Visions Photography
- Adam Weiner of OPB & Opal OZ
- Lindsey Stormo & Caroline Morgan
- Sweet Medicine & Four Winds Foundation
- Youth Music Empowerment children, parents & helpers
- Saeeda Wright, Matthew Flowers, Tim Ribner, Michael Dougherty, Jon Ram, Chris Lay, Rich Lawrence, Chelsea Luker, Porangui, Liv Warfield, Bibi Mcgill, Tyrone Hendrix, Reinhardt Helz, Rich Lawrence, Brian Foxworth, Greg Johnson, Tyler Smith, Jans Ingber, Rudy Slizewski, Joe Hall, Josh Cliburn, Jeni Wren & Cascadia School, & many other musicians/supporters of Max Ribner Band
- PSU Staff & Facility
- Peter LaPlaca & Phaeton Horns
- Dana White & Specialized Mastering
- Arlo Rodiek, Kyer Wiltshire, Jennifer Alyse Rogers Akila Fields & Light Being photography
- Ashi, Christine Cealila Kosonon & Raya
- Kilikina's Chocolat!
To the Community:
"The energy carried beyond this show will ripple throughout our people & land of this world, thanks to your support & donations. Together as a pack, we have the power to make this mighty change through belief, prayer, action, creativity & teamwork. With love, kindness & compassion...thank you, Mahalo & Wopila"
Risks and challenges
For further information & questions on tickets to Max Ribner Band's: 'Leap to Flame,' email Max @ email@example.com
"Every obstacle is a stepping stone for us to grow." -Max RibnerLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)