We've reached our all-or-nothing goal and hit our stretch goal of $12,500, so we'll
- mix an awesome extra bonus track available to everyone
- throw in an extra special sticker with a design by Sam Bartlett into every mailing
It's not over yet! Many great rewards still available and any money raised will be a HUGE help for us. As you can see in our budget Update, our total project budget is $18,000, so we're far from paying off the full cost of this endeavor. If we manage to make it to $15,000 or 300 backers, we'll find something extra special to do!
Thank you *so* much. We're astounded, astonished, and humbled.
More about the project....
The Stringrays is on the verge of releasing a full length album, Ticket to Nowhere.
And we mean the BIG Stringrays...
- Rodney Miller aka New England Chestnut / NEA Master Fiddler / NH Artist Laureate (fiddle)
- Sam Bartlett aka Stuntologist-in-Chief (mandolin)
- Max Newman aka Nimble McNimblyfingers (guitar)
- Stuart Kenney aka Dr. Deep (upright bass and banjo)
- Mark “Pokey” Hellenberg aka the drumminest drummer what ever drummed (drums and, yes, banjo uke)
We’ve worked for almost a year-and-a-half on this project, recording with folkie friend (and, uh, Grammy Award winning) engineer Charlie Pilzer in Takoma Park, MD. We have the tracks recorded, but it still needs to mixing, mastering, artwork, and printing.
What's the music going to sound like?
We are aiming to make your favorite album of the year – an album that you will treasure, that will make you feel things, and that could distract you enough to unwittingly drive cross-country if you left your car stereo on repeat.
We wanted to create music that would capture the thrilling, spontaneous energy and joy we get playing with each other. We're almost there.
What is the money used for?
The money will be used to complete the mixing, mastering, and printing an economical first run of the recording. It will also help us secure some fabulous hand-drawn artwork from artist Ben Belcher, who illustrated our first recording as well as some graphic design to make it all come together. Any additional money with go into recouping the costs of recording in the studio, which will allow us to more quickly focus on our next project.
Limited hand-numbered edition. The first 200 backers getting physical albums will receive a limited, hand-numbered edition in a special, first-edition package. This is personal music, so we thought this would be a nice way to showcase that.
- Bonus tracks. Probably the most exciting bonus item is two extra tracks which no one else buying this album later will have access to. The A-side is a Rodney tune called Discovery Bay which might as well be titled “Superfun x 10!” and the B-side is probably our most requested track ever -- Stuart’s banjo tune Wandering Soul -- done up in the biggest band sound we could muster. These tracks both have special somethings going on that you’ll just have to listen to discover.
- Sticker. We’ll give you a cute sticker with Stringrays art, perfect for water bottles and instrument cases.
- Other stuff. See the Rewards section. Stringrays Zine Issue #0, one-on-one sessions, call in to the band on-stage, a tune written AND recorded by the band for you or someone you know, etc.
Errata Although the text of the $500 level says "(4 available)" we are actually making 5 available.
If you have any questions, concerns, or want to share your enthusiasm, just contact email@example.com
(Thanks to Sonya Sones for the photos.)
Risks and challenges
We have most of the album recorded, so the biggest risks we anticipate are delays. This project or some of the rewards could take longer to deliver than we expect.
In addition, a few aspects of it might change as we go through the process.
That said, we’ve been involved in many projects before and we’ve been thoughtful about our goals, so we have quite a bit of confidence in that this will go smoothly. Honestly, the toughest part so far has been getting this Kickstarter out!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (27 days)