Invincible (Music Video)
* Scroll down to see more about the project, check out the story & behind the scenes video!
Every voice needs to be heard. Some stories need to be told.
Join us in bringing to life the untold, compelling, true story of Green Flake, the Southern slave who trekked thousands of miles and rose to become a Western hero
As a teenage slave, Green Flake was sent by his slave master to serve his church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in Nauvoo, Illinois. Shortly after being sent, the Southern slave was called upon by the leader of the Church to serve in an advance pioneer group tasked with forging a trail through brutal conditions to lead over 70,000 people across the western frontier, the single largest pioneer migration in American history
If you've ever dreamed of making a meaningful movie, now is your chance! By donating to the Green Flake Kickstarter campaign, you will become a real part of bringing an incredible piece of history to life and to the big screen! You will have the chance to become a literal part of the process and get an intimate look into how a film is made - from the beginning of the vision to the script, all the way through filming and even laying down music tracks in the studio
Green Flake is a little over half filmed. Over 20,000 unpaid, donated hours by over 30 industry professionals and many additional people behind the scenes have brought the film this far. The completed parts of the film were shot in beautiful Fort Buenaventura Utah, the first Anglo-permanent settlement in the Great Basin. Over 30 different speaking roles. 7 original songs were recorded for the movie by Grammy award-winning songwriters. Attention to quality and details has been made through handcrafted wardrobe and props, including some 150-year-old, genuine, antique props. A lot of care has gone into every detail!
But we're not done yet! We still have a lot of filming to do, editing to complete, songs and music to write - and we need your help! More than that, we want to invite you along on the journey! We want to share with you the experience, the process, and the intimate, behind-the-scenes details as we are making the film! We want to give you a chance to be in the film, attend the red carpet premiere, share a place with us in the credits, and take home a memento replica of an item - a necklace - shown in the film that acts as a powerful motivation for Green, inspiring him to meet and push beyond his limits! We want the experience to be as powerful for you as it is for us!
As a Green Flake backer, you will get the first look at what happens behind the scenes! Throughout the process, and throughout the filming, we will be posting behind the scenes tidbits. You will get to see our struggles and be a part of our triumphs!
From Concept to Film
A Look on Set
We have taken great care to only select the best rewards - and ones that we know we can deliver!
Have fun choosing, and above all, we are massively grateful for your support and excitement!
** Please carefully read the shipping and timeline sections below for important information about event dates and receiving your physical rewards **
NOTE: ALL REWARDS AND ADD-ONS HAVE BEEN UNLOCKED!!
How Add-ons work:
After you've made your pledge, you can add additional items (called add-ons) to your pledge. First, choose the item(s) you would like, and then follow the instructions below to add to your pledge!
If you are interested in any add-on that is listed but not yet unlocked, let us know, and we'll notify you directly when it gets unlocked - or watch your inbox: we'll send out an announcement as new items are unlocked!
NOTE: ALL REWARDS AND ADD-ONS HAVE BEEN UNLOCKED!!
We have two simple yet very important objectives with our campaign:
1. Raise at least $300K from Kickstarter pledges through Stretch Goals. We know this is a massive objective, but doing so will let us:
- Complete the filming process, bringing in a top tier post-production team that will take Green Flake the movie to the next level!
- Partner with some Oscar-winning producers who are interested and willing to step in and help take Green Flake as far as it can go!
2. With your support, we will start some important dialogue as we enter Green Flake into film festivals, seek worldwide distribution, and premiere the film in all the major cities!
1. Pledge as much as you can. When you back this campaign and select a reward tier, you know what perks you will receive. The tier price is a base price, and Kickstarter allows you to add more to your pledge. By adding more to your pledge, you become eligible to receive any number of add-ons, which you can choose from once the campaign ends. More information about add-ons is included above
3. Share our Kickstarter campaign link personally with at least 10 friends through email or a private message on Facebook. Nothing means more to a friend than a personalized private message. I cannot emphasize enough how valuable this is. If we combine all of our social circles, we can reach a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise get the chance to hear about the campaign. Here’s a sample message, if you’re looking for inspiration (feel free to copy, paste, and modify):
“Hi [First name], hope you’re doing awesome! I just want to share this Kickstarter project with you. It’s a true story, period drama about a Southern slave named Green Flake who crosses thousands of miles and rises to become a Western hero!! I pledged as much as I could because I REALLY want to see this movie made. You should check it out, I think you’ll want to see it too. Either way, I appreciate your friendship. Talk to you soon! https://www.fundgreenflake.com”
4. Share our Kickstarter campaign link to any media contacts, email lists, or other social media you may have (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.)
If there are any specific rewards that really interest you - tell people about them!!
The great thing is that Steps 2-4 do not cost money and are so valuable to getting the word out! Even if you can't contribute much, please help spread the word by doing these steps. We appreciate anything and everything you can do
We have come a long way in the production of Green Flake, with over half of the movie filmed. Concourses of volunteers have worked tirelessly for a cause they strongly believe in. We have arrived at a point where, without you, we are at a standstill. With your help, we can complete the film and bring an important story to life
But that's not the only reason. We have come to Kickstarter because of the community. We want you to have the chance to be a part of the story, the dialogue, and the creation of something powerful!
Also, it is very important to us to make this movie honestly, sensitively, and with the spirit of hope and love. This story talks to the hearts of millions across the world from all walks of life. It is in that same spirit that this story should be told - not just by me as the director and one or two investors. Rather, we want to give the opportunity for thousands to be a part of telling the story
That’s why Kickstarter
How much does it cost to make a movie?
$65,000 seems like a small number! As the creator and director of Green Flake, I have only put money into this project and will not take one penny from this Kickstarter campaign to pay myself. Now, the average budget for a period drama of this nature is around $40 million. This is a lot more than $65,000! Our total budget for Kickstarter is just under $300,000 (before Kickstarter fees and rewards fulfillment). Our initial goal is to raise that first $65,000 to finish filming in May. We have shot and will continue to shoot on the highest quality camera equipment and technology - equal to or better than the Oscar nominated films that share the same genre
How are we able to do this?
Because of people like you who have heard about Green’s Flake’s story and are invested in seeing it to the big screen. Many have donated their resources and time to get us to a place where we can create a high end movie on such a small budget
Where does the $65,000 go and what happens if we continue to raise past that $65,000 mark?
$65,000 goes to production costs: cast, crew, location, food, lodging, equipment, wardrobe, the list goes on and on
If we continue to raise past our initial goal, up to $175,000 goes towards post-production. That’s the music score, special effects, sound engineering, marketing, festivals, and so forth (basically signed sealed and delivered)
If we pass that second fundraising goal, an additional $125,000 brings in some big guns on the Producer side. We have Oscar award-winning producers willing to step in and be a part of this project. Partnering with them can take Green Flake as far as it could possibly go.We have an itemized line by line budget that shows exactly where all the production money goes. It’s not something we can post publicly
Goal 4 ($400,000) will allow us to hire a team for international marketing and distribution, and Goal 5 ($800,000 to $1 million) will allow us to cast some Oscar and Tony nominated actors
Here is the deal: I have been championing this movement full-time, and I am willing to storm the Hollywood castle alone, but I want to rally the troops first. You are the troops! Here on Kickstarter is where we create the buzz before taking this to Hollywood, knocking down doors
Lastly, more costs that come from the money raised. We cannot keep all the money we raise on Kickstarter. This is why:
- CAMPAIGN FEES: Kickstarter's fees, together with the credit card processing fees, come to between 8% and 10%. We're using a service called BackerKit for post-Kickstarter management and digital fulfillment (so you can get your goodies), which will be another 1.6%
- REWARDS, GIFTS & FULFILLMENT: We have to design, print, organize, and pay for rewards (manufacturing of both physical and digital rewards)
- PRODUCER COSTS: As I mentioned, hiring notable post production is not cheap, but it makes all the difference. We have strong relationships with some of these producers so their rates are way lower than what they take for other movie jobs
We want to get this full feature completed and in theaters ASAP. We have been moving at lightning speed to bring Green Flake this far, while still maintaining high quality, in just six months
Our timeline is to have an exclusive premiere this summer, then jump into the film festival circuit for the next year. Next, our theatrical release the summer of 2020. That does not mean that you have to wait that long to see it. All of our backers will have access to the film before everyone else!
Because we are a team of volunteers and there is a lot of work to be done, we won't be able perform standard fulfillment. That is, we won't have the personnel to be able to ship any physical rewards. Here's what we can do: we'll make sure to take all of your physical rewards with us to all of the physical events that we host - concerts, premiere, dinner, etc. If you are attending the event, you can snag your rewards there! If you're not attending any of the events, no problem, please feel free to drop by and claim your rewards
All events will take place in the Salt Lake City, UT area, except fort he film shoot, which will take place in Ogden, UT. Exact dates/times and venues of events will be announced later, but here's a general idea:
- Film shoot (please note this is only open to backers who pledge at the "Be an Extra" level): May 13, 2019
- Red Carpet Premiere: July 2019
- Dinner with the Director: July 2019, as scheduled with the director
- Phone interview with the Director: July 2019, as scheduled with Mauli
- Studio visit: July 2019
- Private Concert: within two months of the theatrical release in 2020
Risks and challenges
There are risks involved with any TV/Film project. The biggest concern is that it would not be as successful as we all hoped it would. That is something that no film has control over. What we do have is the power to produce the best quality project with our budget and set the stage for some important dialogue
If we can raise the funds we are asking for, we will be able to deliver a full-length feature film as promised. The only thing that would stop Green Flake from being made is if we do not reach our financial goal. With over 20,000 hours of donated labor by industry professionals, we are more than halfway through production. We have been fortunate to have support from industry professionals who have produced Oscar Award-winning movies. With these relationships, we are empowered to ensure the highest quality of production and promise to continue to drive this film forward with passion
One thing is for certain, the bigger the push from our supporters, the greater this film can be. The Writer/Creator/Director Mauli Junior Bonner has managed tours and album budgets for A-list recording artists who have sold over 100,000,000 records. With that same commitment and know-how, Green Flake can be a worldwide success!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)