The Advanced Permaculture Student Online is a collection of regenerative solutions & pathways for high schoolers, college students, and adults looking to start on careers that are meaningful, regenerative, profitable, proven, and valuable to their local communities. This is a 16-week video-based course with almost 30 expert instructors from around the world who have greened deserts, grown tons of soil per acre per year, made professional-level mycology accessible to the home cultivator or start up mushroom farm, trained professional landscapers in permaculture, redefined soil science and composting as we know it, converted organic orchards to permaculture, worked as a steward of an ancient Molokai fish pond, made impossible seed and plant adaptations possible, and much more. This course takes permaculture into the advanced fields of mycology, large-scale land restoration, market gardening, natural farming, alternative energy, social permaculture, ocean restoration, city planning, aquaculture, vermiculture, and more.
Learn where you fit in the Permaculture Spectrum of Regenerative Solutions - Natural farming? Biointensive? Alternative Transportation? Wetland rewilding? Holistic Management? Mycology? Alternative Energy? Herbal Medicine? There’s no box to contain you, only places for you pursue your passion and help the future of all biodiversity at the same time.
Go in-depth with experts and real-life examples, learning valuable regenerative skills in a broad spectrum of fields, using The Permaculture Student 2: A Collection of Regenerative Solutions textbook as the reading companion for the entire course - the most in-depth and current permaculture textbook available. Matt Powers, the author, will be your guide on your educational journey with opportunities for digging deeper with professionals along the way.
When we see the full picture, we can make an informed decision, but prior to now, there was no roadmap of options in the world of permaculture: now you can choose, mix, and mash with the entire spectrum of skills and systems. You can mix mycology with pasture raised pigs, or natural farming with viticulture, or trompes with an urban setting. The opportunities are endless!
This work brings hope because it's not a pipe dream or out of reach of any community: we all can make this real in our own area with the information you learn in these career paths. They are proven, profitable, scalable, replicable, and adaptable - this course is based on principles, so it makes easier to improve with the tools shared within it. With these tools and concepts, we can regenerate our world and get paid to do it - it's all possible!
Help us prove to the world that this is an abundant future that people will invest in by joining us in this course!
Created and organized by author, educator, and plant breeder, Matt Powers, to pair with The Permaculture Student series which is the first K-12+college curricular arc that guides students directly to professional careers.
This is the only Advanced Permaculture Certification course based on a current, peer-reviewed advanced textbook and taught by experienced professionals from a host of different regenerative career paths blending disciplines outside the garden and farm scope of permaculture design and into a broader application of permaculture into everyday life, business, architecture, food, and even governance.
Most PDCs cost $500-2000 and are just introductions to Permaculture. Most college courses cost thousands of dollars a semester, and this would be the one of the most valuable semesters of your college career - how to align with nature and then choose a career in partnership with nature to provide for yourself and your community. For the price of a master gardener certification course, get more education from a greater diversity of world class educators and regenerators than you’ve ever gotten in a semester of college or any gardening or permaculture course ever!
There are now tens of thousands of people who have PDCs and have been introduced to permaculture. Now is the time to raise the bar higher - the community is ready. The Advanced Permaculture Certification program will set a new standard in Permaculture as it unites and aligns all regenerative practices on a spectrum (using the science underpinning them all to unite and organize), so biointensive is as understandable as natural farming, biochar, or bokashi! Become fluent in the regenerative space and understand the science behind it all, so you can see how you can blend these disciplines on a homestead, on a farm, in a business, or in a completely new application nobody has thought of yet.
The Permaculture Student 2 has received incredible praise and sets a new standard in permaculture which in many ways has led to the formation of this course and the creation by popular demand of an accompanying workbook. The book everyone is excited about just turned into a set, and it is yours when you join the course.
Enjoy lifetime access to the videos, Q&A, discussions, groups, bonuses, and digital materials after the course has complete. You can go back and review anytime to gain new perspectives and dive deeper. Improvements and new teachers joining the course will occur over time and all students will have access to those improvements and new videos.
Get lifetime access to a private community of advanced learners and regenerative professionals - share your ideas and designs, get peer and expert feedback, collaborate, see what everyone else is thinking, and grow and advance together as a community. For many, having peers to learn and work alongside is critical to making these skills and systems part of our daily lives and business.
Each week while the course is in session, we'll check in as a class and discuss the reading, activities, and videos for that week in a LIVE Q&A session in our private Facebook group. The comments and videos will remain in the group as part of your lifetime access.
Are you a teacher? You can teach this course in your classroom with The Permaculture Student 2 Teacher's Guide. It pairs with The Permaculture Student 2 textbook & workbook as well as the advanced online course, and will allow any high school or college teacher to host a full year, in-depth permaculture course. The wait is over - this is the ultimate science elective/career prep for high schoolers & college students.
- Regenerative Entrepreneurs & Educators: Alignment & Best Practices - Start your business based on best practices: reach more people, fund your message, and help change the world for the better with an 8-week group-coaching, entrepreneurial experience of incredible value (normally $500).
- The Regenerative Career Guide - See what careers might work for you with a guide that's fit for any guidance counselor's office. If we reach our stretch goal we can print and ship these out to guidance counselors in areas where students are already searching for these career paths and at colleges offering permaculture and regenerative courses.
- Permaculture Mastery Checklist - a large list of regenerative skills and habits that define a mastery criteria well beyond the typical PDC skills framework. It allows for self-assessment and tracking growth over time.
Our Teaching Team is comprised of experts, educators, professionals, and researchers from around the world ranging in experience and education to give our students a broad range of instruction styles and subject-matter, so they can follow their true regenerative calling.
- Filming on Location at historically important permaculture sites like Ragged Chutes Trompe air-power plant in Canada, the recently-restored Aztec Chinampas in Mexico, or the Molokai Fish Ponds in Hawaii.
- Filming on Location at current leading examples like Polyface Farm, Versaland Farm, New Forest Farms, and more.
- Printing the Career Guides and Shipping them to High School Guidance Counselors in regenerative hotspots like Portland, Seattle, Sebastopol, Missoula, & more where students are already looking for these career paths.
You can spread the word & help make real change happen. Share this campaign with your friends & get 3 FREE Videos & The Permaculture Student 2 Ebook for helping! Thank you!!
- The Patterns & Systems of our Natural World
- Permaculture Design for All Climates
- Keyline Design
- Soil Science
- Earthworks & Dam Building
- Gardening & Horticulture
- Alternative Energy
- Water Harvesting & Treatment
- Korean Natural Farming
- Riparian & Ocean Restoration
- Biointensive Farming
- Fukuoka Natural Farming
- Carbon Farming
- Market Gardening
- Plant Breeding
- Regenerative Grazing
- Holistic Management
- The Regrarians Platform
- Urban Permaculture
- Mycoremediation & Bioremediation
- The 8 Forms of Capital
- NonViolent Communication
- Sociocracy & Holacracy
- Intentional Communities
- Permaculture in Business, Governance & Social Structures
- Real-Life Examples of Profitable Regenerative Businesses
- Use the Principles of Permaculture to Work with Nature Inside & Outside of the Garden Context - in ANY CONTEXT!
- Read a Landscape Holistically
- Design & Install Earthworks - especially for water harvesting
- Regenerate Large-Landscapes - Even Green Deserts!
- Grow Food Forests & ReWild Landscapes
- Build Soil & Sequester Carbon FAST!
- Compost in a Variety of Ways
- Wisely Choose a Regenerative Career Path
- Grow an Abundant Garden & Food Forest
- Grow Mushrooms & Mycelium at Home
- Design & Construct Buildings Ethically
- Work with Hand tools
- Holistically Manage Grazing Operations
- Design a Farm or Ranch Operation
- Make a Regenerative Business Plan
- Start Up a Regenerative Business
- This course leads up to these regenerative career pathways:
- Soil Life Consultant Certification
- REX, the Regrarians Ltd Farm Planning Course
- The Salatin Semester
- The Urban Farmer online course with Curtis Stone
- Radical Mycology's Online Training with Peter McCoy
- Holistic Management Training and Certification
- The Permaculture Skills Center
- GreenWave Farm StartUp and Apprenticeship Program
- United Designer Advanced Professional Training
- Natural Farming Training with Larry Korn
- Growing Power Internship
- The Korean Natural Farming Online Course with Chris Trump
- NonViolent Communication Training
- Farm/Ranch/Orchard/Vineyard/Market Garden Internship
On Matt's Courses:
On Matt's Books:
Matt Powers is an author, educator, gardener, seed saver, plant breeder, and family guy who teaches people all over the world how to live more regeneratively, so they can partner with nature to have a hopeful and abundant future.
Matt's wife, Adriana, lost her thyroid to cancer and then faced melanoma shortly after radiation therapy post-thyroidectomy, and it led to the Powers family leaving NYC for California for Adriana to recover with her family, but cancer followed and not until a purely organic regiment of foods and an alternative cancer therapy were undertaken was the cancer stopped from returning. In order to keep their diets and improve the foods they were eating, Matt began gardening in earnest and then stopped touring and working with bands in Los Angeles and began his journey as an educator, getting his masters degree in education and teaching teachers how to embrace new teaching modalities.
Matt took his online PDC with Geoff Lawton in 2014, and after discovering nothing available for children to learn (only resources for teachers and school gardening), Matt created the first middle school and then high school curriculum, retiring from public education to write and work on this effort full time. This online advanced course is the final piece in Matt's vision of a K-12 educational arc leading students directly to professional regenerative careers.
Risks and challenges
We are confident that we can deliver an incredible experience, and collectively we have a track record of success and experience with thousands of students. The teachers are confident they can deliver their videos by March 2018 for April 2018 launch.
The Permaculture Student 2 Workbook and Regenerative Career Guide can be written this fall with ease but the printing and shipping of them will be the most variable and prone to delay component of the entire operation - luckily, there is enough time for there to be a delay and not effect the start of the course with the current timeline.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)