OVER 200% FUNDED - THANK YOU!
- 1,250 Backers: Instant download (via backer-only update) of Orizon's Demos and "Break Your Halo" EP (8 songs total), which 19-year-old Matt recorded at the O-House in 2003 before the band renamed to The Classic Crime.
- 1,500 Backers: Instrumental versions of this & previous kickstarted albums. (Phoenix, WWDv1, How to Be Human, LP6).
- 1,750 Backers: Live in Studio EP - several songs reimagined and recorded live in studio on video, mixed and mastered, released to backers first.
- (LOCKED) 2,000 Backers: REMIX EP - What spells collaboration better than Remix? We will select an EP's length of songs from the new album to be remixed by some incredible artists, and deliver that EP to every backer.
HOODIE + T-SHIRT ($60): Digital download, pullover hoodie, t-shirt (50 more added)
HOODIE + VINLY ($60): 50 more added
**Bonus reward for all backers: Matt will be playing solo acoustic living room shows on the west coast (looping through the mountains) in January-February 2019 as part of his Solo Songwriting Tour. All backers will receive a discount code for tickets.
Has it already been two years? Has time sped up since you funded the production of How to Be Human in 2016? It's hard to believe it's been out for over a year and a half, which means if we want to finish another album by late 2019, we need to start now.
First, let's look back at all the wonderful albums you Kickstarted: This whole "making our albums independently" thing started with Phoenix (2012), followed by What Was Done, Vol. 1: A Decade Revisited (2014), and finally How to Be Human(2017). You all absolutely crushed our goal on all of these projects, doubling and sometimes tripling the album budgets with your pre-ordered packages. We can honestly say you've had a direct impact on the quality of these albums.
So, we'd like to thank you in the best way we know how, by making more music.
What makes this new album special? It'll be new, for one. For two, it will be our 6th full-length of original songs, and our 10th released recording (5 of which we've released by way of Kickstarter!). If it gets made, this album will be a milestone marking the fact that we will have made more music independently than we did on a label. That's pretty unbelievable. The older we get, the more we realize how truly special it is to get to continue making & playing music at any level. Most of the time I (Matt) don't think I'm all that good at it either, so pinch me.
But back to what makes this particular album special. I hope to once again push the album-making process beyond my comfort zone. Over the last few projects I've tried different strategies for production, arrangement and song-writing that I think contributed to each albums unique vibe. I've self-produced, co-produced, built song arrangements backwards, and restricted the amount of tools at my disposal - all in an effort to grow and break new creative ground.
This time I want to do something new. I want to collaborate.
I have pages of lyrics and dozens of voice recordings on my phone, but I'm waiting to start building because I hope to bring others in at the ground floor. The standard writing process for TCC over the last decade is this: I write & arrange song demos and then bring them to the band and we sort them out. Every band member has a unique style & input which adds to "The Classic Crime" vibe - in that sense, what we do is somewhat collaborative. Once we're together & finishing the songs, sometimes another song or two will spill out, but the majority of the time the songs start and end with me - and I don't think that's a good thing. I know what I do, it's predictable to me, and it's become harder to surprise myself. The magic of music is in surprise.
So I'm going to go looking for it. I want to invite a variety of people I've never worked with in at the ground/seed/idea level, to get unique perspectives and see if we can build something surprisingly good together. Collaboration "turns the gem," revealing facets we never would have seen on our own. That's what I hope for on this album.
I've always believed that if you aren't being stretched, you aren't growing. I could hide in a hole for 6 months and bang out another record in the typical way, but I would learn far less, and it wouldn't nearly as gratifying as collaborating.
Collaboration means I'd need to travel, flying to LA, Nashville and other places. It means time spent away from family and other paying obligations. It means compensating other producers & friends for their time, talents & studios. It costs resources, but it costs me something other than just money to collaborate. It costs me a large measure of obsessive control I've assumed for years. I am excited about what surprise might come out of that.
Thank you for your faithful support. It is truly an honor.
Matt & TCC
P.S. - I don't have a map for this album. I am remaining open to opportunities and attempting to release my grip a bit. It might have 12 producers on 12 songs... whatever it takes for whatever it is and needs to be, I'm open to it. Goal is to have it done by the end of 2019. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I'm going to dedicate the next year to it and see what happens.
Unfamiliar with our work?
Here are some videos of songs we made with the help of our backers on previous projects:
Main things to remember
- The album gets made when we reach the goal (Kickstarter is all-or-nothing).
- Many of the physical items are exclusive to this pre-order, so once it's over they will not be available.
- The more backers there are, the better the album will sound & feel. It almost sounds ridiculous, but it's true, your support literally effects the quality of this album.
- We can't do this without your help. We've always said that as long as there is a demand for The Classic Crime, we will try our best to supply it. When you back us, you become part of the team that keeps us alive & singing. Thank you!
Risks and challenges
Sometimes there are delays in art & manufacturing that are beyond our control - so some physical packages might take a bit longer to ship than others. We will keep you updated throughout the process so there are no major surprises.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)