A collection of political cartoons and essays on everything that's cray cray about 'Merica from 2012 Pulitzer Prize finalist Matt Bors.
New Update – STRETCH GOAL: I'm committing to my stretch goal of printing a second collection, confident that if I offer a pre-order for it in the final week I can get the money needed to print it. This book will be a 125 page black and white collection, featuring cartoons that didn't fit into the chapter themes of the first book and work on whatever crazy shit happens in 2013 right up to the moment of press in August 2013. I'll also snag someone for a good introduction and add some fun bonus material. It is $15 + $2 shipping.
How to Order: I've added new levels that include the second book at $42, $57, and $67. If you would like to back at a higher level, just add $17 and let me know when I send out the survey at the end. If your level includes a signature or drawing, you'll get it on the second book as well.
UPDATE: This project is funded! You can pre-order the book at have it delivered to you as soon as it's released. Now I'm working toward my stretch goal of $30,000 to print a second collection of cartoons.
Life Begins At Incorporation will be a full color 225 page collection that groups my best cartoons with humor essays based on my favorite topics. (See chapter list below.) I'm going to take the next few months off from freelance work to write the essays and hire an editor, designer, and copy editor (update: hired!) to make sure this is a top-notch, professional product.
Editorial cartoonists are going through tough times with the collapse of old media and paying outlets – yet more people read them than ever before because of the web. I know people still value political satire and that's what I want to prove with this book.
See more of my work at my website: www.mattbors.com. Chapters for the book will include the following:
- Life Begins At Incorporation - The long civil rights struggle for legal concepts is finally over. Free at last!
- One Nation Under Employed - The economy is like my hairline: a steady march in the wrong direction and deep denial about how bad it really is.
- Millennial Kingdom - The young shall inherit the earth – after climbing out of debt, finding a crap job, and enduring condescending olds who think we're spoiled.
- The 1% Doctrine - The most well-off people in the history of existence sure are whiny about shit.
- US Out Of Lady Parts - Conservatives want a small government that can fit inside a woman's uterus.
- The Avenging Uterus - A rogues gallery of AU's greatest foes, including Misogyno, Dr. Slut-Shamer, The Mandatory Transvaginal Ultrasounds, and 75% Of What A Man Makes Man.
- They're All Gay - Anti-gay politicians, bullies, and religious leaders all seem to be have one thing in common: being really, really gay.
- God's Away On Business - Oh, you know the One True Religion? Tell me more about the faith you happened to be born into.
- Welcome To The Terror Drone - Bush and Obama have ushered in a new era of robot death planes that work about as well as ED-209 from Robocop.
- Crouching Muslim, Hidden Tea Party - Apparently the president was born in Kenya and trained by Cobra Commander.
- Driving Mr. Bin Laden - Osama Bin Laden's driver likes my comics. Really. His Gitmo lawyer told me all about it
- Afghanexam - In 2010 I decided to get out from behind my drawing table to visit Afghanistan and draw cartoons
- Don't Label Me, Bro - My chosen profession isn't getting off easy here. Weird labels, obituary cartoons, and cliches – what the hell is up with this field?
- People Who Probably Shouldn't Be In Charge Of Anything - Arianna Huffington, The Pope, Oprah, Wolf Blitzer, and other people who are somehow employed.
Avenging Uterus ladies tees! These ship way before the book – they're being made now. Screen printed on creme American Apparel shirts. I'll get in touch about size. (S,M,L,XL, XXL)
Original art is available on multiple levels, from PATRON, PATRIOT on up. All my cartoons are drawn on 8.5 x 11 bristol board and hand lettered because I'm old school! These are one of a kind. I'll send out a pdf of the book once it's finished and backers can select which one they want. Or get in touch directly after pledging to reserve your favorite.
$30,000 – I've done 1,000 political cartoons and this collection can't hold all of them. If I hit $30,000 in contributions I'm going to print a second book, a 125 page collection of earlier work that will be available for around $15.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
I've completed books before and edited large projects, but this will be my first go at self-publishing. I'll be relying on the advice and experience of my friends and colleagues in cartooning to help guide me through the process. The team I'll be hiring to edit, layout, and copy edit the book will be announced before funding is reached. This book represents my life's work. I'm ready to go.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.