Queens of Adventure is a Dungeons & Dragons podcast featuring four staunch drag queens slaying their way through adventures beyond your wildest fantasies! Based on Seattle’s hit comedy show, Dungeons & Drag Queens, these all-new adventures will serve role-playing realness with equal parts death drops and death saves.
To produce the podcast, we need money for art, music, equipment, hosting, and most of all to pay the drag performers for one season of high adventure.
Our funding goal will allow us to produce 25 one-hour episodes of the show. If we exceed our goal, we’ll be able to pay the performers & artists for more of their work, and bring you more content!
**UPDATE: Thanks to YOU we met our funding goal on March 7th! We've added great stretch goals that will bring MORE Queens of Adventure to backers at all levels! Read on for more details**
Real Drag Queens, Real D&D, Real Fun
Our cast boasts extensive drag experience, having fostered queer art and community at underground drag shows such as Seattle cult favorites Rapture, Family Meal, and West End Girls. Not to mention, the hit comedy show Dungeons & Drag Queens that’s been playing to sold-out crowds.
Now the cast of Dungeons & Drag Queens is tucking into their meatiest challenge yet. In Queens of Adventure they'll be playing an ongoing D&D campaign, rolling the dice every other week as they as they combat killer wigs, tame burly bears, investigate shady seamen, and misty step their way into your heart.
Queens of Adventure brings together everything you love about larger-than-life drag shows and epic fantasy adventures. Whether strutting onstage to slay a lip-sync or rolling dice to slay a demon, these drag queens face down their fears, triumph over adversity, and spread their sickening radiance wherever they go.
Stretch Goals **UPDATED 3/31/2018**
$4,000 - Livestream #1 **UNLOCKED**
If we reach $4,000 we'll stream a standalone adventure with the queens LIVE on YouTube or Twitch (platform TBD). The queens will be gathered together in full drag serving looks and engaging with you in the chat.
During the stream, ALL BACKERS will have the opportunity to change the course of the adventure! Just like in our live shows, we'll provide ways for you to influence dice rolls and either help the players on their journey or throw challenging curve balls their way.
$5,000 - Livestream #2 **UNLOCKED**
We add a second live stream! It will be an all-new adventure with all-new opportunities for ALL BACKERS to interact with the queens.
$6,000 - Livestream #3 **UNLOCKED**
The goal so nice we added it thrice! Yes, this third livestream will be cuter than an intrauterine and offer even even more surprising interactive thrills for ALL BACKERS!
$7,000 - Original Theme Song **UNLOCKED**
If we raise $7,000 we will work with celebrated composer & performer Major Scales to create an original theme song for Queens of Adventure!
This song will be featured in the podcast. And, ALL BACKERS will receive a digital copy!
$10,000 - Fully Illustrated Playable Adventure **UNLOCKED**
If we raise a whopping $10,000 we will create a fully-illustrated playable adventure! This module (do we still say module? We don't say module anymore, do we?) This adventure will be compatible with Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, suitable for 1st level characters and will include:
- Rules for running a drag adventure
- Drag adventure hooks
- New character backgrounds
- A new deity
- A new warlock patron
- New common and magical items
- New NPCs New Monsters New Traps and Puzzles
- A multi-level "dungeon" and the surrounding environment
ALL BACKERS will receive a handsome .PDF edition for use at their gaming table.
For more information about Stretch goals, including how the money will be used and the risks and challenges associated with each goal, check out this project update.
Rewards for Backers
Our Kickstarter campaign runs throughout March of 2018. The podcast launches in May. All rewards will ship to backers along with the launch of the show.
$1 - Wallpapers
- Thank you for tipping the queens! We’ll send you a set of digital wallpapers featuring the cast of the show, formatted for mobile and desktop devices. You make it possible to bring The Queens of Adventure to life, and we’re so glad to have you in the family.
$5 - Digital Fun Pack
- As thanks to everyone supporting the show at the $5 level, you’ll get a digital fun pack featuring Queens of Adventure art and activities. Word searches, coloring pages, paper dolls, and more are yours to enjoy in this downloadable PDF!
- Plus you'll also get the Queens of Adventure digital wallpapers!
$10 - Bonus Episodes
- Backers at the $10 level get special bonus episodes throughout the first season! We’ll be recording table-talk chats with the queens outside of game-play, taking you behind the scenes and under the frocks of the cast. These episodes will be exclusive for supporters of the show.
- Plus you’ll also get the Queens of Adventure digital wallpapers and fun pack!
$25 - Choose Our Own Adventure
- Sway the fate of the queens! At $25 and above, you’ll make choices in online polls that influence the game’s settings, characters, enemy encounters, and more.
- You’ll also get the bonus episodes, and the Queens of Adventure digital wallpapers and fun pack!
$50 - Foil Postcard
- Art lovers rejoice! Backers at the $50 level get a gorgeous 4x6” foil-accented postcard by celebrated artist Chad Sell, whose portraits of drag queens have been featured on RuPaul's Drag Race. This beautiful (and shiny!) Kickstarter-exclusive card will be shipped to you in an envelope. Chad’s cards are perfect for framing, for showing off to friends and enemies, and for whispering sweet nothings to in the dead of night. (Free worldwide shipping!)
- You’ll also get all the rewards of the previous tiers: the digital wallpapers and fun pack, the bonus episodes, and regular opportunities to vote on the game elements!
$100 - Name a Person, Place, or Thing
- Zounds! Nouns abound. When you back the project at the $100 level, you’ll get to name a person, place, or thing on the show. Spaces are limited for this tier! Don’t miss your chance to hear the queens encounter something named for you, your local gay bar, or your WiFi network. In the event that someone submits a name that is troubling or problematic, we’ll have final approval over its inclusion.
- You’ll also get all the rewards of the previous levels: the digital wallpapers and fun pack, the bonus episodes, regular opportunities to vote on the game elements, and the beautiful Chad Sell postcard!
$250 - Sponsor an Episode
- At the $250 level, you’ll become an official sponsor of one Queens of Adventure episode! That means you’ll get a special thanks at the start and end of an episode, and your mother will be proud.
- You’ll also get the digital wallpapers and fun pack, the bonus episodes, regular opportunities to vote on the game elements, and the beautiful postcard by Chad Sell!
$1000 - Executive Producer Realness
- Now serving executive producer realness! At $1,000 you’ll get special thanks at the start and end of each and every episode in the first season. We only have room for three season sponsors, putting backers at this level in exclusive company.
- And of course you get a basket of additional rewards: the Digital wallpapers and fun pack, bonus episodes, voting on game elements, four foil postcards, and the ability to name a person, place, or thing in the game.
Meet the Cast & Crew
Take a moment to meet the queens in this new video (added 3/12/2018).
Arson Nicki: The Warlock
Arson Nicki is Seattle's preeminent aggressively transgressive drag artist. They produce, host, and perform at Rapture at the Timbre Room every second Saturday, as well as at Fresh at 18th & Union: An Arts Space every quarter. Arson has showcased their work at the Seattle Art Museum, The Factory, Mokedo, project205 (Portland, OR), and performed in clubs and bars up and down the West Coast. Their work focuses on pushing drag's creative boundaries, presenting queer performance in unconventional contexts and spaces and expanding access to drag art.
Butylene O'Kipple: The Alchemist
Butylene O’Kipple is a fun-loving performer based in Seattle, WA. Birthed in the mid-late 2014’s, Butylene has a background in painting, sculpture, video and dance, which all inform her unique, high-energy performance style. She can be found at Kremwerk every third Monday at 9pm, where she hosts and performs at “Family Meal with the Kipples,” alongside her co-host and partner in crime, Harlotte O’Scara. As the Alchemist of the group, Butylene is indeed “the bomb,” with a penchant for magic mushrooms and incendiary devices! She is very much looking forward to Queens of Adventure, and the world of opportunities it presents.
Fraya Love: The Cleric
Fraya Love started her rag tag adventure as a drag queen ten years ago in a Southern California beach city. In her early 20s she was ready to see what was on the other side of the rainbow. She did her last show in California, packed up her car, and floored it to The Emerald city. Since then, she has been a cast member At RPlace, Mimosas with Mama (Mimosas Cabaret), and was the Madonna and Lady GaGa impersonator at Julia's An Evening at LeFaux. Now at West End Girls and a YouTube sensation (she likes to tell herself), Fraya has lived and loved in this lush city of green and will continue to do so until she can afford a house in Cabo.
Harlotte O'Scara: The Rogue
Harlotte O’Scara is the Hive-Mother of the house of Kipple, and co-hostess of Family Meal with the Kipples. She’s no stranger to saving throws or dodge-rolls, and finds herself on top even when caught flat-footed. She’s enjoyed playing D20 games for over a decade. Harlotte is the chosen concubine of Butylene O’Kipple, party Alchemist. As a day-walker, she’s a crafter, costumer and wig-stylist. She’s adept in the schools of glamor and subtle tricks, having cut her teeth working with Teatro ZinZanni, Pacific Northwest Ballet, and the Seattle Shakespeare Company in costume and wardrobe.
Matt Baume: The Dungeon Master
A writer and podcaster based in Seattle, Matt Baume's work focuses on LGBTQ culture, creative geekery, and anything strange and wonderful. Matt created the popular podcast The Sewers of Paris and is the author of the book Defining Marriage. He's reported on queer issues for Rolling Stone, NPR, Vice Magazine, and The Advocate. His first D&D character was a gnome named Bergle.
James Morris: The Designer
James home brewed his first role playing game in 1992. It was terrible. He's learned a lot since then. While working on PC, console, and mobile games with companies like Leapfrog, LucasArts, and Capcom, he's never lost his fondness for tabletop adventure. James has designed all of the Dungeons & Drag Queens live show adventures, and looks forward to developing an ongoing world and story for Queens of Adventure.
Where Does the Money Go?
By backing this project you’re supporting the work of queer artists who are creating performances that are imaginative, empowering, and above all fun. Most of your support goes directly to the drag queens to ensure the party doesn’t die of exposure.
With regard to production, we currently have everything we need to record, edit, and publish a high quality podcast with 2-3 voices. This setup works great for smaller podcasts and videos, but it’s insufficient for Queens of Adventure. Your support allows us to get the remaining gear needed to capture high quality sound from 5-6 people.
The remainder of the budget goes to logistical odds and ends such as Kickstarter fees, podcast hosting, domain registration, etc.
Hooray for You!
Queens of Adventure wouldn't be possible without the generous support of artists, performers, and fans who helped make the live show a success. We're so grateful to the dozens of playtesters who have helped us craft each adventure; to Kremwerk and The Timbre Room in Seattle; to Brendan Mack of STAGEright Theater for production help and posters; to DJ Robosex Homosex; to stage assistants Ian Hill, Deo Bebber, and Pup Bolt; to Verne & Wells and Games & Gizmos; to artists Matt Kneupper, Cody Shipman, Levi Hastings, Terry Blas, and Fazaad Feroze; and to everyone who continues to come see us play live on stage. And thanks to you for making it possible for us to share all-new adventures with people all over the world!
Risks and challenges
We’re well-prepared to deliver the podcast and the rewards on time, and at a high quality.
One of our biggest challenges is getting everyone together on a regular basis to record episodes. We all have other jobs and projects that could compete with Queens of Adventure for time and resources. This Kickstarter campaign will allow us to pay the performers for their time so they can prioritize the show.
Another challenge is recording high-quality audio. It’s not easy to cleanly capture five people all talking around a table! With the funding from this Kickstarter campaign, we can record and edit episodes with professional equipment and software.
Everyone on our team brings a wealth of experience to ensure that production will go smoothly. Our performers are all professional working drag queens with a proven track record of delighting audiences. Matt’s an experienced podcaster, having produced an episode of The Sewers of Paris every single week for the past three years. He’s also recorded segments for shows on NPR, and produced an audiobook. And James is a game industry veteran. Together, we have the skills needed to bring you a show that’s truly gagworthy.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)