Thank you for your support of our Kickstarter & Brand. <3
We wouldn't be here without Our Crowd. #FUNDED2018
Visit our Facebook page: facebook.com/Mastermindkoldbrew
Visit our Instagram: instagram.com/Mastermindkoldbrew
Visit our Twitter: twitter.com/brew_kold
It's more than just a tumbler with a filter, it's going to be an integral part of your lifestyle. It is designed to go everywhere with you. Created by a mechanical engineer and tested by baristas & coffee roasters, you'll find it sleek, durable, and refined.
Fixing multiple problems with its competitors, Mastermind made the simplest-to-use brewer on the market.
- Cold Brew REALLY IS better than regular coffee: 70% Less Acidic, More caffeine, Sweeter & Bolder Flavor. Enjoy extensive health benefits due to the reduced acidity.
- Cold Brew Coffee & Tea Anywhere: This thing is awesome for craft coffee brewing at home, work, vacation, roadtrips, camping, you name it.
- Need to leave for work early, but your cold brew isn't ready yet? Don't let your need for coffee slow you down! Grab your brewer and continue brewing on your commute.
- Want hot coffee & tea? Just substitute hot water & remove the grounds after 2.5 minutes of steeping.
- Dual-Filtration: Enjoy super clean-tasting coffee with the dutch-weave mesh & perforated shell. The doubled surface area prevents your filter from clogging, too.
- Late for Work? Enjoy mess-free, prep free mornings: Leave the filter & grounds installed while serving/drinking. This comes in handy for those days when you're late for work.
- No measuring required: We have fill lines to make concentrate or for a balanced brew using the golden ratio. Because life doesn't always let you carry your kitchen scale and measuring tools.
- Magnetic Slider Lid: It's SO convenient and fun to use!
- Easy to Clean: The MagSeal lid has no nooks or crannies, and the brewer is dishwasher friendly.
- Drop it without worry: Thicker Steel with 304SS on the inside AND outside - plus it's splash proof! Our competitors use cheaper 202 steel on the outside, reducing durability. Read more on 202 steel HERE
- Drinks stay ice cold for 24 hrs with the Vacuum Insulation.
- Fits your current tumblers. Our lid fits easily on the YETI & Ozark Trail tumblers.
This brewer is a game changer for your morning, and it's a solution that lasts! We're standing behind our words with a Lifetime Warranty on the brewer, so if anything ever breaks, we've got you covered.
Skip your morning stops at coffee shop and save time and money during your morning routine.
Keep a cold brewer at work! Make brews in your cupholder on a roadtrip. Make it at the hotel while on vacation.
If you already cold brew, our system gives you tons of flexibility in how you handle the prep and cleanup process. Our design allows the filter to remain installed while you drink your coffee on the go. Other designs require you to disassemble the brewer and cleanup your used grounds before you can enjoy.
Let's say you already have the best coffee setup in the world. Can you take it with you when you're away from home? What's your morning flavor on the road? Odds are, it's either a pricey drink from the nearest Starbucks, or it's gross gas station coffee. With our brewer, you can enjoy the bold flavor of cold brew affordably - no matter where life takes you!
We have a saying in the mechanical engineering industry: "Simpler is Always Better". We think this applies to everyday products as well. For a product to be great, it must also be simple. We have competitors out there that actually have removable flimsy gaskets. Some of them (we won't name names) have 8 individual pieces that must be assembled before you can brew! We lost our gasket to that 8-piece unit after 2 weeks, rendering it useless.
The Mastermind Kōld Brewer has only 3 pieces to take apart: a filter, lid, & a tumbler. We love the simplicity that this brewer has brought to our daily lives.
Quick engineering lesson: a micron = 0.001 millimeters. Smaller microns = finer filter.
Most cold brewing systems only have a single-layered filter, consisting of a stainless steel perforated shell with 200 micron holes. We got tired of making muddy cold brews (with that filter shown above & on the left), so we bought a finer 80 micron mesh filter. That 80 micron filter clogged up really easily, & the coarse mesh was difficult to clean. We knew something had to change for the better.
We tested 8 different prototype filters before achieving perfection. The Dual-Layered MK filter uses a 200 micron perforated shell wrapped around a delicate dutch-weaved 120 micron mesh. Having dual-filtration enables us to get the same filtration as the 80 micron unit, but without the clogging issues that plague it. The thin dutch-weave makes the mesh really easy to clean, plus the surgical grade 304ss really doesn't hold onto coffee grounds anyways. Call it innovation.
The MagSeal Lid uses magnets to slide open and closed with a satisfying, addicting snap. It doesn't have any nooks or crannies, so it's really easy to clean. It has two ergonomic handles, so that you can remove the lid easier. It's made of BPA-free Tritan material, a unique polymer that's super clear, and strong. It looks like glass until you drop it! The filter twists into the lid without needing a flimsy gasket, so you have one less thing to lose as well.
Our Magseal Lid fits All 30oz YETI & Ozark trail tumblers.
Our lid does not fit: RTIC or BUILT
We added measures like thicker steel and copper lining to ensure that the brewer can keep itself cold the entire work day without any ice, after spending the night in the fridge. This brewer will also stay cold for up to 24 hours if you add ice and keep the lid closed, which is great for things like traveling & camping.
We tested our brewer for a week backpacking in the wilderness of Yellowstone National Park - it was the ultimate lifestyle test. It's sleek and small, so you can stick it in your backpack or keep it in the work fridge. It creates over 20 ounces of concentrated cold brew before milk, cream or water is added, (or 24 oz of brew if you set up a a balanced brew). This is more than enough brew for the entire day, or you can share it with your friends.
Traveling without making an ecological dent is HARD. As we said already, stopping by a Starbucks is easy when you're away from home. But you also contribute to landfills with your disposable cup and straw. Backpackers believe in not leaving a trace, so while roadtripping in Wyoming, we brewed coffee in the cupholders and skipped the coffee stops (Other than Cowboy Coffee in Jackson!). Reduce your plastic footprint and drink great coffee! It's a win-win situation.
Even if you're not in the mood for coffee, this brewer is great for making fruit infused water and tea, hot or cold.
It's coffee that is brewed slowly by soaking coffee grounds in cold water rather than hot. Cold brew has a longer extraction process which gives it several advantages over your typical cup of coffee. The taste is much smoother. The bitterness of traditional brewed coffee is caused by the extraction of fatty acids, which doesn't happen during the cold brewing process. Additionally, the acids in regular coffee actually trigger your stomach to pump out gastric acid, which leads to the butterflies in your stomach and leads to heartburn. This means it’s not only easier on your taste buds but on your stomach as well. Cold brew is also bolder than hot coffee. You can easily control the strength by just adding more coffee grounds or letting it extract for longer periods. For those who hate making iced coffee with their normal drippers because it always tastes watered down, cold brew is the perfect fix. Say goodbye to those coffee shop visits for the strong stuff.
With the Kōld Brewer, you can become your own barista, easily making delicious and bold drinks yourself. You can finally make Good iced coffee at home, avoiding all the melted ice that plagues hot-brewed iced coffee.
We're ready to manufacture at the push of a button. All the ground work is laid out. Are you ready to push the button with us?
In the video, we talked about how we partnered up with Goshen Coffee Company to provide Complimentary coffee beans as a Kickstarter exclusive. What we didn't tell you was that we tried dozens of coffee beans from all over the St. Louis area to find the best ones for cold brew, before we finally bought Goshen Coffee Company's Delicious Bonafide Roast. Doing a blind taste test, Bonafide was head and shoulders SO MUCH BETTER than the competition. We were so blown away that we immediately knew we HAD to partner up.
While other Kickstarters have flashy graphics and "Prototypes" that they take professional photos of for their kickstarter, we chose to be as genuine and open about this process as possible.
Given this fact, please understand that these photos were taken by us over the past year as we did all the prototyping ourselves at the SIUE Fablab. Thank you.
Despite our old branding on the video below, you can see the level of detail we have gone to in order to guarantee that our product is manufactured properly. Nobody else on Kickstarter is going to these lengths.
Per a backers request, we did a drop test on our lid:
Some of our prototypes can be found below. We did all the prototyping and design in-house.
We are in talks with major retailers already (out of Germany if you can believe it), to get products in front of tens of thousands of customers worldwide.
Once we fund out on Kickstarter, we're signing with Amazon Prime immediately. You will love it when you see a product that you made possible on Amazon Prime.
Eventually, we would love to talk with Bed Bath and Beyond, REI, Dicks, and other sporting goods stores, because our brewing system and future brand line is definitely a great fit there.
Thank you for your support of our Kickstarter & Brand. <3
We wouldn't be here without Our Crowd.
Risks and challenges
This is our first Kickstarter, but we have an insane amount of Passion for what we are doing here. We're confident in our abilities to deliver the rewards as promised & on time. We have collaborated with other successful Kickstarter creators, local business owners and entrepreneurs to help us get started smoothly.
We strove to eliminate as many variables as possible. Here are the measures we took:
1. We developed multiple prototypes with our manufacturers - testing, revising, and re-ordering until perfect.
2. We coordinated with our injection mold engineers to ensure our lid design was feasible.
3. We researched costs thoroughly and incorporated EVERYTHING to ensure we'd remain within budget.
4. We coordinated logistics with freight & fulfillment companies to ensure timely distribution. We even accounted for our manufacturers local holiday schedule!
Regardless of the planning detailed above, there are always potential issues. Here are our main concerns:
1. WE CAN'T LAUNCH TO CRICKETS! If people don't hear about our launch, we won't reach our goals. You can help us by sharing with your friends and family.
2. We have already built each piece of the cold brewer using full-scale production techniques, except for the lid. Even though we went through the lid design thoroughly with the engineers, if anything was to have an issue, it would be the injection molding process.
We promise to be upfront and honest with you all. We also promise that this May Deliverable Deadline will not turn into a mid-summer deadline. We understand that most projects fail to deliver on time, so that is why we have projected the timelines and then even added a few weeks on top of that.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)