The Adventure Pals - A Story of Love, Giraffes & Hot Dogs
- Update 1 - "Wowzas! Thank you so much!"
- Update 2 - "30% funded and a look inside the Massive Monster lair!"
- Update 3 - "Big announcement!"
- Update 4 - "Extra rewards for backers - lets unlock the Mystery Chest! "
- Update 5 - "The Adventure Pals first 20 minutes playthrough!"
- Update 6 - "Download & play The Adventure Pals demo now!"
- Update 7 - "First Chest Unlocked & How to get yourself FREE rewards!
- Update 8 - "Interview with HyperDuck Soundworks"
- Update 9 - "5 DAYS & the Pals Journey"
- Update 10 -"3 DAYS & help us name our final town!"
- Update 11 - "70 Hrs - 9% LEFT, Win Stuff & Cheaper Giraffe Shirts!"
The Adventure Pals is an epic adventure platformer fuelled by imagination. Enter a gorgeous & hilarious world in a game about friendship, exploration & riding giraffes. Inspired by such titles as Adventure Time, Castle Crashers, Zelda 2 & Banjo Kazooie
Take on the role of a young adventurer as you travel the land and battle monsters-a-plenty in an epic quest to stop the evil Mr B who has kidnapped your Papa and is hell-bent on turning him into a delicious hot dog. But fear not, for you are not alone; you have the help of your best friends, Sparkles the giraffe and your pet rock!
- Explore 5 different areas each of which has 25 levels, a boss, towns, mini games, shops & other quite interesting things!
- Local 2 player Co - Operative play.
- 10+ hours of gameplay.
- Hundreds of traps and enemies.
- Immersive Story with animated cutscenes with hilarities guaranteed.
- Adventures, Quests and crazy townsfolk.
- Giraffe filled good times with happy smiles and family friendly giggles.
- 1080p 60fps.
- Gamepad support.
- Warning: Will make you hungry for hot dogs (sorry veggies).
Expected Release Date: Early 2017
Platforms: PC, Mac, Linux
Ride your giraffe across the world map, discovering secrets, bashing up baddies and entering a hilarious and colourful world of adventure where using a giraffe’s tongue as a helicopter propeller is a legitimate means of transport.
Level up along the way for new weapons, stats and hat colours, fight a wide range of enemies and defeat Mr. B in a number of epic boss fights. Interact with unforgettable characters and visit the shop to stock up on equipment and buy new special abilities. See the Blacksmith outside the arena for powerful weapon mods and replay levels for diamonds which can be used to purchase unique special abilities and buffs.
Visually the game draws inspiration from cartoons such as Adventure Time and Gravity Falls, aiming for a bright and engaging aesthetic everyone can enjoy. The gameplay may remind you of a mashup of some classic 2D and 3D platforming games such as Zelda 2 and Banjo Kazooie. We’ve also added modern mechanics and fresh ideas to reinvigorate these genres for a brand spanking new adventure.
The Adventure Pals is a mixture of lovingly handcrafted platformer levels, combat focused arenas and RPG-like locations with townsfolk who provide quests, items and other goodies for you to buy to aid you on your journey.
You will always have another quest to complete. Rescue Lady Pancake, the ousted ruler of the toast kingdom, and find the ingredients to make an owl & trombone soup for a crab-chef. Find a bikini so a whale who is too embarrassed to swim naked can become your personal water taxi - or assassinate an emo deer who refuses to like your Facebook status - y’know, normal stuff like that.
Completing quests earns you rubies, and rubies are what you need to get your Papa back. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and get questing! We want to keep each one fresh so we’ve made a big effort to avoid tedious fetch quests.
Explore the world on the back of your giraffe. Your travels take you across a huge world filled with zombie pirate cats, post-apocalyptic dinosaurs and hotdogs that poop explosive mines. Explore the mystical forests of Treevale, hike the haunted craters of the moon and dive into the depths of the ocean to find the lost city of Crablantis.
The world will be big; with 5 distinct areas, each with unique characters, traps and enemies. Each area has 2 towns with their own stories, histories and whacky populations for you to meet. They also each have an arena, a shop and 5 sets of levels. Once you have unlocked these locations, you will be able to ride to any of them at any time.
Take down colossal monsters in nail-biting boss fights! We have put a tremendous amount of effort into making sure that the bosses are all as EPIC and ridiculous as possible.
The game is full of bizarre enemies because, for us, it’s all about being as whacky and creative as we can be. So when designing enemies, we’ll scrap ideas that aren’t ‘weird’ enough. This has resulted in a really unique world that is always rewarding to explore.
Adventuring by yourself is great, but let’s be fair, isn’t everything better with your best buddy by your side? Well, that’s why Co-op game play is a big part of the Adventure Pals. Now you can bash up baddies alongside your BFF!
It’s super simple so that nothing stands in the way of jumping into some high intensity 2 player co-op action! It works like this: Player 2 plugs in a gamepad and hits the 'Start' button. Immediately a new character bursts on to the scene, and just like that, they are in. You don’t need to start a new adventure or go to a menu screen. Simple! We aim to make everything in the game as elegant, intuitive and unobtrusive as possible. Plus - everything is better with your friends.
But wait there is more! There are so many things that we are excited about with the Adventure Pals that it is hard to tell you about everything.
- A backpack full of explosives and potions! A simple inventory system lets you store bombs, potions and special items.
- Bombs; some blow things up, while others turn enemies into harmless bunnies.
- Shops with an abundance of goods & services. Timelapse below of Julian drawing the shop in Pirate Cove.
- There are many potions to uncover which give you special bonuses such as double XP or temporary invulnerability.
- Activate special moves such as Sparkles the giraffe pulling a scary face so terrifying it throws enemies into a panic!
- Mini-games: Wager your hard earned gold at the chicken racing or kick-back and relax with a spot of Yak herding.
- Fully animated cutscenes: We have one already and have another one planned, but with your help, we'd like to add more.
Impress your friends with these exclusive Kickstarter skins for your pals. Who will you choose the moustache pals or the potato pals?
With this fabulous t-shirt, you can wear a giraffe. You can be a giraffe. You can wear your friends. Top it off with the pièce de résistance, an exclusive hand-made collector giraffe beanie hat. Each one individually created with love and care, making each unique in its own special way.
We have teamed up with Indiebox to bring you a physical Collector’s Edition of the game. Just like in the olden times when you could actually hold a copy of a game you loved in your hands and then go to sleep hugging it as it kept you warm through the night.
We're also pleased to announce that we'll be part of the Kicking It Forward initiative, meaning we'll be supplying 5% of the games earnings back into other Kickstarters.
So why has it taken you guys so dang long?
- As mentioned above, the game has changed and transmogrified from a creepy and disgusting caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. That is to say, we have gone from creating something destined for the web and the restrictions that that implies into building a fully fledged game title. This has meant abandoning an old technology (Flash) in favour of a new one (Haxe + Unity). In terms of programming and art assets, this also meant starting again… from scratch. Twice.
- We haven’t been able to work on it full time all of the time. For the first 2 years, it was a part-time project, with Julian studying and me trying to keep the wolves from the door making web games. After Julian’s visit and our partnership with Armor Games we were able to put a good 7 months full time into the project before our funding ran out. And this is where we are now. With more to do, without the funding to finish and in need of your help.
There are two reasons we are excited to be a part of Kickstarter. Firstly, we need funding for us to be able to finish the game:
- We still need to complete the quests and polish some of the levels
- Finalise all the dialogue and story sections to the game.
- Improve the role of player 2 in co-op
- Pay for more audio and sound effects.
- Cover software license fees.
Secondly, we want to connect directly with you and have backers help shape the game. We think Kickstarter campaigns are an amazing opportunity for small developers like us to communicate directly with you and those who may be interested in the game. We really want to hear what you think and have you help craft the game and be a part of its story. We really hope you’ll consider backing the project.
Every game needs music, right? Right. Well so does this one. But we don't make music we make games, so to solve this problem we have enlisted the mighty HyperDuck SoundWorks who you may know from Dust: An Elysian Tail, Knightmare Tower and Kingdom Rush. They have 10 years of experience under their belt and have created some incredible soundscapes for the Adventure Pals already. We have been fans of their work for a long time and so it has been a real thrill for us to have them on the project and the work they have done so far is absolutely incredible.
Julian has the power to bring objects to life with his magical drawing. He draws a face on a cup of coffee and BANG! It bursts to life. It's true! OK, so it's not true, but it would be cool if he could. He has worked on over 15 games and has an imagination the size of an elephant, a really big elephant.
Jay Armstrong is the fella who puts the 'code' into 'guy who codes things'. Equipped with a vague knowledge of how to make sure the computer doesn't spontaneously set on fire, he programmes particles, physics, projectiles, pyjamas, parcels and paperclips. He has worked on a bunch of games and has even had one featured in a London museum (no, not because it was old, but because it was related to the exhibition silly!)
Jimp is your man for door opening, Got a door? Does it need opening? Jimp can open it. Some people find it difficult, but not him. He is good at it. He co-created Sushi Cat and has worked on loads of games you might have played such as Crush the Castle Adventures and Achievement Unlocked.
We have been working on this game for a long time. It's been a crazy journey but we are so excited about what we are creating and truly hope that you'll be a part of the adventure and back the game. Thank you so, so much.
Risks and challenges
Making any game is a challenging and difficult thing to do. However, we have an experienced team who have worked on many similar games and who know exactly what they are doing. We have been planning and working on The Adventure Pals for years now, and we have thought through every aspect in detail. We know what needs to be done, and we know that we can do it. We have a great team and a large network of industry professionals we can rely on for help and advice.
We are also not starting from scratch, we have already had to overcome many obstacles just to get here and so now most of those are behind us. More issues will inevitably arise, as they always do, but this is our passion and livelihood and we are fully prepared to meet any challenges and do whatever it takes to release this game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)