Backers! The day has come! We're excited to announce Zombie Playground will be releasing July 28th, next Tuesday, via Steam Early Access. As you know, we've fought extremely hard over these last six months with one goal: to deliver backers more of the original vision we all saw for this game. But have no illusion, this will be Steam Early Access, meaning, without a doubt, it will be a true Beta. We have a lot of work left to do, so expect some rough edges. But we need you to know, this Beta is the culmination of every ounce of effort by every single team member, bar none.
Since we're at a good point now, it's important for us to put it in the hands of more users, to receive more feedback, and in doing so, elevate the game to even higher levels of fun factor. We'd like to send out a special thanks to the backers. Without question, you are the heroes of this campaign! You not only started this whole thing off, but also supported us over these years. True undead believers! Thank you, thank you! We 'brain' you so much! We want exactly what you want, a game that we all honestly want to play.
BACKERS WITH BENEFITS
We have made our Steam Early Access (EA) build available to 'backers only' for the next week! Backers have access to our Steam EA build before the masses, up until July 28th, when it will then be released into the ether. So get in there now, bank some XP, and let us know what you think here! Whether it be bugs, suggestions, or requests, bring it on. Also, if you need a refresher course on how to play, check out the default control setup (which you can rebind). Here's the deets:
1. Tons of gear! - All aesthetic items currently in the game are unlocked (have it at it, it won't last forever!). Until we implement the locking of items, all items in the game will be open and available. Why not link us a screenshot of your favorite outfit! Please do! If we feature it, you just might win a free ZPG baseball cap! Want a preview? Well why didn't you say so...
2. Kickstarter Rewards - We are still working on the backer rewards. You need a game before you can really enjoy the rewards right? That said, as you may have noticed, we do have one KS item that's in by popular demand. And, really, who else could it be? Yes folks, Sunny IS available to play, but without the familiar toting lantern. The Sunny version in this build does not include the lantern, which is, as we all know, very much a KS exclusive. And while Sunny is still in obedience school (barks a lot in the equip screen, gets lost, etc), that is why we love Sunny so much. Sunny's imperfections are what make Sunny so perfect. =)) Enjoy! And for even more icing on the cake, check out our ZPG recording session with the real life Sunny(s) in action! Made possible by http://studio.jory.org/ who has been redoing all our in-game sound effects for ZPG (wip):
3. Backer Extra Keys - We still plan on giving out your additional KS keys post Steam Early Access. We want the game that you share with your friends to be the true and finished vision of what we set out to achieve. Until then, if you have friends who own the game, you can try out our current networking solution. It still needs some testing to work out bugs, but let us know how it goes! If you have any problems, give us a shout on the forums.
5. Multiple (+Elite) Enemy Types - Wait, what!? Yes indeed... New enemies AND a Big Bad Boss! We’ve pushed our limits and our resources to bring you multiple enemy types, from crouching zombies on all fours, to vicious adult zombies, and even the dreaded mopper of the halls... The Janitor! Can you topple this giant flesh bag and live to tell the tale? (If not, try with some friends!)
4. Networking is a go! But sometimes, this function is more than 'one click' away. We're constantly looking to make it more reliable, but should you encounter any issues, check out this thread and let us know.
6. Save your XP! Experience (XP) earned in the game will eventually be how you unlock items. Do you love that certain backpack or hairstyle? Enjoy the open access to customization while it lasts, because soon you’ll have to earn fashionable goods – almost like it was a real game!
6. 4 Weapons - a lot more coming, trust us, but these 4 are honed to the T-shirt.
7. Missions - we’ve got basic missions in the game, as well as the code base for many more. We’ll be building and tweaking these over the months to come, along with some honest-to-goodness quests!
Backers, please help us spread the word! It's so easy! All you need to do click this link here, and approve our Thunderclap. That's it! Done! If we achieve our supporter goal, Thunderclap will send a mass tweet from all of us in unison on the 28th, announcing ZPG's Steam Early Access. Maybe, just maybe, if we can get enough support, that mass tweet/FB post will crash the internet and cause a zombie apocalypse? An undead can dream!
This game is made with the brains, disease, and puke of all involved - that means heart! We've put everything we have into this development, and we intend to put a lot more. But first we want your feedback! We'll only be able to make it better with your help. And, If you just so happen to enjoy the game and want to continue supporting us, please help spread the word about our launch on the 28th! Thanks everyone!