(All watches have the same internal componentry and functionality)
To download high-resolution images and video, click here
In the last year or so, we’ve watched as Voice Command technology that really works has made a radical move to the forefront of mobile applications. We said…Cool. And we started asking ourselves…If all you need these days is a microphone and a speaker, do people really want to keep digging for their phones? Isn’t there a better device we can make?
SPEAK TO YOUR WRIST!
We knew the world didn’t need another wireless cell phone headset. Our idea? “Why not a Bluetooth voice command WATCH?” You could actually enjoy wearing it. You wouldn’t have to take it in and out of your ear all day. It would always be there and there’d be even more it could do for you! For example…like other Bluetooth watches we love, it would also give you “info at a glance” notifications. But with a voice watch, if you saw you were getting a call from a friend, you could simply answer it on the watch and leave your phone where it is…pocket, purse, backpack, running armband…wherever.
CONNECT WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY HANDS-FREE
So we added a few more engineers and started down this crazy path (our core team has been implementing Bluetooth and wireless voice for over ten years at some pioneering companies). We’ve now blown through umpteen watch prototypes to test microphones, speaker assemblies, PCB layouts, vibrating motors, and every other component. So here we are, and we like what we have…the perfect complement to the mobile phone – a social watch that makes connecting to friends, family and the world faster, easier, and hands-free!
CAN'T REACH YOUR PHONE WITH GLOVES ON? NO PROBLEM!
Imagine being on a ski slope and a friend calls to see what time you want to meet for lunch. With Martian, you will see who’s calling, answer the call, agree on a time, and hang up – all without taking off your gloves or digging your phone out of a zippered pocket. You don’t even need to slow down!
Maybe you’re in a serious class or meeting. With a glance at your Martian, you can read a friend’s funny incoming Facebook message to brighten your day.
Or you’re biking at the front with your weekend peloton group and you want to talk to your buddy in the back…yep…you get it.
You’ll soon find that the convenience of using your Martian makes it hard to live without!
EASY AND CONVENIENT TO USE
By simply speaking and listening through your Martian Watch, while leaving your phone in a pocket, purse or backpack, you can:
- Place and answer calls,
- Send and receive text messages (“text-to-speech” played through the watch),
- Use your phone's native voice command app, such as Siri, S-Voice, or Google Voice, to set calendar events and reminders, and search for information,
- Be notified of incoming calls, texts, and calendar and social media events with vibration, an LED light and OLED text display,
- And more!
DETAILED FEATURE SPECIFICATIONS
General Features for Most Phones with Bluetooth® Headset Compatibility:
- Incoming call alert via vibration, green LED and caller ID display.
- Accept or decline incoming calls with the push of a button, or decline with a shake of the wrist.
- Talk and Listen using Martian’s clear speaker and noise-cancellation microphone.
- Martian Leash option – Notifies you when your phone is left behind.
- Connects to mobile phone using Bluetooth wireless technology – almost anything you can do with your Bluetooth headset, you can do with your Martian Watch.
Android Smartphone Users – Additional Features (some features require our free Martian app)
- Accesses the phone’s voice command functions, allowing you to place calls, send voice-to-text SMS messages, listen to text messages, set calendar notifications, and use all other voice command functions for controlling music, searching the web, setting reminders and appointments, etc.*
- Receive incoming text alerts and calendar alerts via vibration, blue LED and caller ID display.
- Receive incoming notifications, such as Facebook, Twitter, Weather, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, and Sina Weibo. Notifications trigger vibration, an LED light flash, and scrolling message readout.
* NOTE: Voice Command functions on Android phones are dependent upon your device. If your phone came with an integrated Voice Command app and it works with a Bluetooth headset, it will work with Martian.
iPhone 4S & 5 Users – Additional Features
- Accesses iPhone 4S’s “Siri” voice command functions, allowing you to place calls, send voice-to-text SMS messages, listen to text messages, set iCalendar notifications, and use all other Siri voice command functions for controlling music, searching the web, setting reminders and appointments, etc.
- Receive incoming text alerts via vibration, blue LED and caller ID display (in iPhone 4S, this feature will become available upon download of iOS 6).
iPhone 4 And 3GS Users – Additional Features
- Accesses iPhone’s integrated voice control, allowing you to place calls and control music.
- Receive incoming text alerts via vibration, blue LED and caller ID display (this feature will become available upon download of iOS 6).
Other Martian Watch Features
- Always-on analog watch with Swiss parts movement – no need to touch the screen to see the time
- Interchangeable band design – case fits any standard 22mm band
HOW IT WORKS
Connect Martian to your mobile phone just like you would a wireless headset, using an easy no-code pairing system. The top Command Button initiates commands. The bottom Select Button controls volume and feature selections. Notifications come in the form of a vibration, RGB LED light and an OLED text display. The LED light indicator blinks green for an incoming phone call and blue for an incoming SMS/text message or notification.
COMPONENTS AND TECH SPECS
- 2+ hours of talk time, 7 days of standby time (watch will continue to run for an additional 30 days)
- Analog quartz watch with Swiss parts movement
- Upper Command Button
- Lower Select Button
- Noise-Cancellation Microphone
- Directional Personal Speaker
- 96 x 16 pixel graphic OLED display
- Bluetooth® 4.0 chip (Classic Bluetooth and Bluetooth low energy)
- RGB LED light
- “Light Touch” Vibrating Motor
- 3-Axis Accelerometer
- G2G Series – Aluminum case - size: 39 x 37 x 13.34mm. Band: Smooth silicone with stainless steel clasp
- Passport Series - Stainless Steel case - size: 39 x 37 x 13.34mm. Band: Leather or smooth silicone with stainless steel clasp
- Victory Series – Stainless Steel case - size: 41.3 x 41.3 x 14.8mm. Band: Silicone sport band with stainless steel clasp
- Anti-scratch glass crystal
- Micro USB port for recharging and firmware updates
WHERE THE MONEY GOES
The Watches you see in the video are fully functional prototypes…and a lot of fun to use (we can’t get them away from the marketing team!). Since the video, we’ve made even more advancements to designs, colors and graphics, as you see in the renderings. So we’re ready to begin production. Your pledges will help pay for:
- Purchasing of components in bulk
- Testing and certification
- Initial Martian App development
- Translation of manuals into Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Chinese (and more later – please send us your suggestions)
We anticipate the first 1000 Martians will begin shipping in January 2013 with all of the features listed above. After this first run, delivery will likely be in February or March, depending upon volumes and when your watch was ordered. With your support, we can complete this exciting project and get a useful, stylish and fun Martian Watch onto your wrist!
SDK, API AND CUSTOM APPS
We’ll be offering an SDK for Android that allows imaginations to run wild. Programmers will be given access to all the bells and whistles (yes… you could make those sounds on the watch if you wanted to), lights, vibration, the accelerometer and magnetometer, OLED, LED… which will all do what you want them to do. More info on our SDK plans in future updates.
App developers: Sign up for our email list by clicking here
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
Orange County Register (follow-up article): "Though they resemble simple but stylish analog watches, Martian Watches contain lots of smart technology."
Trendhunter Tech: "With the recent introduction of voice command smartphones, it was only a matter of time until the first voice command watch would pop up and this one is pretty cool."
KTLA (Video): "This new generation of Bluetooth watches lets you connect and control your smartphone right from your wrist. You can even talk to Siri and check the weather."
Wired: "The Martian Watches combine debonair style with the latest mobile technologies."
TechCrunch: "And, yes, you can live out your Dick Tracy fantasies..."
The Verge: "[Martian] not only lets you know when you have a new call or text, but also lets you respond to them simply by talking to your wrist."
Orange County Register (video review): "Want to know the weather? Press a button on the watch to ask Siri through a connected iPhone 4S. Users could answer calls, set reminders or send text messages, all from the wrist. Founder Jeffrey Hsieh and president Stan Kinsey stopped by The Orange County Register offices to give the first demo of the prototype, which accomplished all of those tasks."
GottaBeMobile: "The watch vibrates for notifications like the rest of the smart watch crowd, but when it comes to interaction Martian Watches appear to be at the top of the pile for users who want to use Siri while the iPhone is tucked in a pocket."
GIGAOM: "...as shown in this video, it appears that the Martian watch is loud and clear enough to be effective."
LA Times: "Unlike other smart watches, Martian also lets you connect with your smartphone's voice assistant."
Mobile Magazine: "For those that want a normal watch experience but still want smart functions, like dictating back text messages, this could be a cool way to do it."
Megapowertech.blogspot.com: "Have you ever seen those concept videos which show the future iPod shuffle as a voice command which connects to your iPhone. Well one company decided to make it a reality before Apple could."
iMore: "...this latest Kickstarter project is certainly different to the Pebble watch and any others that we have seen so far. The idea of being able to control your iPhone by talking to your watch sounds amazing."
Ubergizmo: "To put it simply, this is a Bluetooth headset that you can wear on your wrist with the added bonus of being able to tell the time as well."
Geeky Gadgets: "The Martian Watch allows you to keep your smartphone safely tucked away in a pocket or bag while you can control it 'Dick Tracy' style by communicating with your smartphone via your wrist."
Damn Geeky: "The Martian watch will be different from the other smartwatches we have seen, for the fact that it will be the first of its kind watch to incorporate voice commands to communicate with the smartphones."
LDR Designs Blog: "Kinda nutty.But i would wear it. Its got some James Bond flare."
Liliputing: "Martian Watches have mostly normal clockfaces instead of e-ink displays; the big story here is that you can issue voice commands through these wrist huggers and conduct voice calls."
Jhalak (backer): "Being a Watch Collector, I am pretty much getting hooked on to the Kickstarter. I've been backing since Lunatik all the way upto latest Metawatch (every smartwatch in the Kickstarter), and now this? I can't help myself and since this is the coolest watch than all the watches I've backed so far. I have no choice but to back. Thanks Guys for doing such a outstanding work."
Adam (backer): "Damn this looks AMAZING."
Andy (backer): "Just got the Early Bird Victory - Awesome!"
Vincent (backer): "After all the [smart] watches that have cropped up on Kickstarter, the Martian is the watch I never knew I always wanted. I'm glad to be a backer."
Joanna (backer): "Gonna back this...Can't wait to try it on iPhone 5!"
Rocco Grasso (on YouTube):"I have spoken about you on my Italian Blog, I hope your plan can be financed because it is wonderful and I want absolutely to have this watch!"
- (45 days)