PLEASE BE A PART OF PUBLISHING "MARIN'S WAVE" -
- - A BEAUTIFUL and UNIQUE BOOK INSPIRED BY LIFE, FAMILY, ART, NATURE AND SURFING, THAT WILL SURELY INSPIRE YOU AND THOSE YOU LOVE."
The design is done! The Collector's 1st Edition hardcover version of"MARIN'S WAVE" book is ready to go! All that's left is to PRINT!
- I NEED YOUR SUPPORT to make this happen! By supporting you get almost immediate access to the Ebook, so you can enjoy the story and art NOW, as you wait to see if WE are successful in funding this campaign. Either way you win! "MARIN'S WAVE" is a book for every family's library. There is really nothing like it. (CHECK OUT THE VIDEO PREVIEW OF THE Ebook BELOW) This is always my goal as an artist, to create and share something that makes the world a better place and inspires...More than anything this story and book reflects my love for life and my family, my joy as a father and love for art, nature, good story and the rich culture of surfing.
WHO AM I AND WHY SHOULD YOU HELP ME?:
- Aloha all, my name is Robb Havassy and I need your help to print this amazing little book. As you might already know, I am an artist, author www.havassyart.com and most important to me, a father of two remarkable daughters. It is for them that I've created and dedicated this special book. Creating and publishing a book can be difficult, time consuming and always expensive...Boy, do I know that! The reality is that the life of an artist especially when you supporting a family is never easy. I work and hustle and create until I can give no more to make sure my kids and family can thrive. My life may sometimes look idyllic and easy from the outside and through the "filter" of social media, but the reality is that the glossy cover of my life, the life of an artist, is anything but secure, always uncertain and often scary as hell. The bills need get to paid and usually that leaves little else for the more meaningful things in life. Sound familiar?
The truth is that often my dreams and hopes of creating something amazing and changing the world are reigned in by my inability to fund it, but I do my best. And more than anything I HATE asking for help. But sometimes, like now, it's worth reaching out and asking you all for faith and belief in a vision...to be an a part of helping create something beautiful and inspiring to share and gift, that will hopefully go far in inspiring families and children around the world. I feel like this book, "Marin's Wave" has that potential and it's always been my greatest goal in my life as an artist to create things that inspire and can make this world a better place...if only just a little.
Campaign donations will go towards covering ONLY the costs of printing-
All the design work and months I spent creating the story, art and layout are not included in this Kickstarter, so I am hopeful that a lower $ goal will help this project to be funded more easily. I would love to get paid for all the months working on this, but that's not the artist life. If you know any artists you probably know the challenges we face. The "artist life" can be tough, but without a doubt, being a father makes it all worth it. It inspires me to try to do something extraordinary for them, like I think I have with "Marin's Wave", but you be judge if I've succeeded. I hope you'll give me the chance by supporting. Like The Rolling Stones said, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need." So with your help and support, hopefully, this beautiful & unique hardcover 1st Edition, will become a reality.
"MARIN'S WAVE": A Surfing Fairy Tale
- Sorry about the long intro! Welcome to my Kickstarter campaign to help me fund and self-publish my first work of fiction. "MARIN'S WAVE," was inspired by my family's move to Costa Rica, our journey and adventures here and watching my daughter Marin grow and blossom. This will be a 8 x 10 in., 74 page, hardcover 1st Edition, filled with my art and an inspiring story following the adventures of young Marin.
- “MARIN'S WAVE” is a fictional journey following the adventures of Marin in the wondrous land of Costa Rica. There, along with her family, she grows and learns about herself, the ocean and her connection to the natural world around her. Her path to riding her own wave and becoming a real surfer like her father, is gradual, but with his guidance she learns the“art” of surfing. And in the process, she comes to terms with the important life lessons and responsibilities that go along with being a young person in the world today. Together with her parents, her best buddy, their wolf-dog Oso and her favorite horses, she lives everyday to the fullest, exploring the magical land in which she lives. She learns its secrets and tries to appreciate every day with her family as one of life’s greatest gifts."
WHY DID I MAKE THIS BOOK - IS IT FOR KIDS OR ADULTS?:
- I created this book and art to tell a story. It IS NOT intended to be just a kid's book. If anything I would say it's a book for the whole family...there's something for everyone, young or old, surfer or non surfer, male or female...it's just a special story told through the vision of my art and words, much like the movies, books and stories I have loved all my life.
- This is a book to read with your son or daughter, niece or nephew, grandchildren, students and friends. A 3-5 year olds will be mesmerized by the art, finding their own story between the words until they can read begin to read it along with you. I've read this to my 3 year old Ripley as I wrote it and it's like a new story to her each time...she hears my words and the story but creates her own version each time. As they reach their early grades it will offer familiar material to test and polish their reading skills. For my Marin at 10 yrs. old and in the 5th grade, you can imagine it's a little strange reading a story about a girl that she shares so much with beyond just the name, but there's still a sparkle in her eye as I hear her read about some of the more exciting and meaningful parts of the story. It's a comfortable read and length for her and other mid-graders, with enough story to challenge and stimulate them and enough art to keep them inspired and widen "the passage" that feeds their imagination and creativity. Perhaps because it's written by a surfer, artist and parent, it also resonates on from these different perspectives through the story and art... enough to transfix teens and adults alike.
This is the kind of story that I hope I can one day develop in to a movie or motion series, as there is so much story in between the pages. I see it so clearly and am already excited about writing the next chapter of the next book and creating the art that propels and guides the story. I've always enjoyed a good story, whether watching, reading, listening or telling one. There's so much more to tell here so stayed tuned.
- "Once there was a young girl named Marin who loved the sea. As fate would have her family moved away from the big city to Costa Rica, a beautiful, nature-rich land, settling on the shores of a beautiful and serene bay. Inspired by watching her father and the playful dolphin surf the beautiful waves near their home, Marin begins to imagine what it would be like for her to ride her own waves. But she is young and still unsure if she can, until one night when she has a dream that changes her life forever."
WHY IS THIS BOOK SPECIAL AND WORTH YOUR SUPPORT?:
- I feel like "MARIN'S WAVE" is so much more than just a children's book, it's an "Art book" too, including more than 3 dozen of some of my favorite paintings. As a great fan of literature, especially family classics like "THE GIVING TREE", "WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE" and pretty much every book by DR. SEUSS, I have a lifetime of inspirational and unique content to inspire me. I can't be truly objective of course, but I'm inspired by what I've created and even though I know the story inside and out. I'm still drawn in to it emotionally when I read it to my 3 year old daughter Ripley. So with that said, I'm thrilled and relieved with early reviews, suggesting that this might possibly be a modern "family classic" someday. It has so much story in between the text, emanating from each and every page and illustration. Our journey and adventures, especially those of our daughters Marin and Ripley, are the true catalyst for this, my 1st book of fiction. It's a artistic and animated "fairy tale" loosely "based on" and "inspired by" our family's journey over the past 6 years. The story just keeps coming so I feel like this will eventually be the 1st in a series of books following the story's lil heroine, Marin and her adventures.
BONUS GIFT TO EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTS- FREE Ebook of "MARIN'S WAVE":
- Everyone who supports, receives a FREE link to the EBOOK or "Marin's Wave." This Ebook (EPUB and PDF download version) looks amazing on your iPad, tablet or laptop. If the project is "funded" the link will become a permanent download. The beauty and resolution is unsurpassed, and visually looks amazing, even more vivid than the print version will be. It's easy and portable and goes with you anywhere you and your device or your children's devices go, easy to look at and read almost anywhere and anytime. As much as I LOVE print books, there is no ignoring that digital media is the future. In any case, EVERYONE get this FREE!!
SOME of the ART REWARDS/ PACKAGES:
MARIN's WAVE- Ebook Preview
HOW THIS HAPPENED AND HOW CAN YOU HELP:
- Creating and publishing 2 massive coffee table books over the past decade, "SURF STORY Vol.1 and 2," www.surfstoryproject.com featuring the art and stories of hundreds of surf artists and icons, was a huge and incredibly challenging undertaking and I'm glad I survived it...barely. Some of the challenges that resulted from publishing them was actually the main catalyst for the huge life change and family upheaval that resulted in our move to Costa Rica...and eventually to the inspiration and creation of this book project and Kickstarter...destiny will find you when its time, I've discovered. In Costa Rica we would say "pura vida," which is kind of a of embracing that life is beauty and pain...ease and struggle...love and hate...all of it. But no matter what, life is a gift, and in saying "pura vida" you are in some way expressing the gratitude for that gift. "Marin's Wave" is kind of my "PURA VIDA" incarnate... and the little "life truths" and lessons that I believe in and desperately try to pass down in my life as a father, that are sewn in to this story.
- So I am REALLY excited and relieved to publish this smaller work, a fictional story that might inspire a whole new generation of families and their children. Even still, self-publishing such a personal and emotional book, inspired by my own family, art and our families journey is still a bit intimidating, but also fun and meaningful for me as a father and husband too. Even a book this size, however, is a huge undertaking, especially for an artist trying supporting a family in this day and age. What that means is that I NEED YOUR HELP to make this happen. My family needs your help as they depend on me to make a good life for them, even if it's a simple one. So please consider helping me and my family by supporting this project and reserving a copy (or more) of this book or one of the many, awesome packages and rewards I have designed to make supporting way more attractive. My family and I hope you will pledge to support us and "Marin's Wave" even if it's just a copy of the book. And if you LOVE what it represents, share it with your friends and family who might also love a copy of "Marin's Wave" too.
- Buy it for your yourself and your children to read together. If you are an auntie, uncle, grammy or grandpa, buy this book for your favorite nieces, nephews, or grandkids.
TIMELAPSE VIDEO -- CREATION OF SOME OF THE BOOK ART:
WHEN WILL I GET MY BOOK... (and /or Art Package)?:
- The cool part of this is that everyone who supports (excluding the $10 package) gets the book almost immediately...at least in the form of the EBOOK. Following your pledge I will give you(or the person you want to gift) the Ebook almost immediately so you'll be able to share and enjoy the book without delay. It may take a few days but you'll have it. It's a neat and ultra-portable way to experience "Marin's Wave".
- And when will you receive you "Hard copy" of "Marin's Wave" and any other related art/book packages you may have supported on here? Well, this 30 day Kickstarter ends after the first week in November. The book design is ready to roll at my printer and all that's left it to make the payment. Should this campaign be successful and reach its goal, I will make the call that we are a "GO" immediately. If all goes according to plan the books will be shipped to me early January 2020. It will probably take a week or two to get all the orders organized, packaged, shipped, etc., so books will arrive in everyone's hands mid/late January 2020.
- I'm sorry to be missing "the Holidays" in December, but will be offering a special "'Marin's Wave' Gift Notice Print" package, and option for anyone wishing to purchase copies of the MW book as holiday gifts. This will be a cool little 5 x 7 in. color print of the MW cover art, actually titled "Marin's Wave," with the recipient's name and your name and what your gift is all about., ie, the book and any other options in the package.
I think that's it, but might be adding stuff I forgot...as I remember them:)
pura vida and mahalo on behalf of me and my family.
Risks and challenges
It's been said, "Make plans and god laughs." I know this all too well in my life as an artist, but this isn't my "first rodeo." It's been a long road and I've created so much and learned so many valuable lessons along the way. This is my 3rd book, so I'm pretty familiar with this process and have done everything in my power to make sure everything is done to assure a timely and polished book. I will do everything in my power to make sure that each and everyone of you gets the book, art and anything else that you selected when it's promised and without issue. As we all know, there are sometimes forces beyond our control that come into play so all I ask is that should something occur to alter or delay the time frame, try to be patient and I will make sure I communicate any issues with you and remedy them as quickly as possible. My life as an artist would never be possible if I had unhappy collectors and clients along the way. It's always my primary goal to over deliver and keep my cleints and supporters happy. This is no exception.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)