After 50 United States & Canada, Marian Call sprints to Europe to record a LIVE ALBUM. Our heroine is undaunted by that ocean thing. Read more
This project was successfully funded on July 25, 2012.
An Announcement You'll Like
Hey guys! Waiting to board my plane from Chicago to San Diego and hoping my laptop battery holds out. I'll see a few of you at SDCC (booth 1033! Concert Saturday night! which is open to the public, not just SDCC folks). And then a few more of you in L.A. at Nerdist Theater on 7/19. Yaaaaaay Muppetflail!
Here is something for everybody:
You guys requested a recording of my little ditty from the Kickstarter movie, so here it is! It's a free download. If it's getting stuck in your head that might help.
Speaking of the Kick Some Start Song, I got featured in today's Kickstarter blog! Sweet! Thanks @shinyee_au!
We are still counting Questing Coins from Europe, and they are still coming in. We updated the map just recently, and Ireland is very close now, 96 Questing Coins and rising. (Please please fund, Ireland, I love you! I want to come back and do more tromping through the rain!) Other nations can still unlock at any time by reaching 125 Coins, or if someone Buys a Concert. We have two weeks left, a lot can happen! If you're in Europe and you've pledged, don't forget to tell me where to go using your Questing Coins; the link to do that is right here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mariancall/marian-call-european-adventure-quest/posts/258429
I'm doing final edit now on a page we can translate and post in a few other languages; thanks SO much to those of you who offered to translate, you'll be hearing from me as soon as I can finish the document I need to translate and write you some e-mails! This project seriously has me swimming as hard as I can, trying not to take on too much water before the finish line.
Okay, okay. Now something I am very excited to tell you:
If you are not in Europe, I have decided how you will spend your Questing Coins. It's also a stretch goal. So!
STRETCH GOAL: I WANT TO MAKE MORE MOVIES IN EUROPE. We've actually already reached the $$$ amount I need, so hey, we've stretched it already!
I have never been good at making movies -- I don't have the time or equipment or expertise -- but I know some folks who are. Sometimes they help me, like with my Kickstarter video. I have secured a reliable promise of help in Europe, and I want to make a really kickass music video while I'm over there, in a specific location. Ideas:
- "Good Morning Moon" at an ancient observatory or museum or a modern laboratory of note
- "Dear Mister Darcy" at a historic Jane Austen site
- "Coffee by Numbers" at Europe's oldest coffeehouse (which claims to be in Oxford)
- "E.S.B." at a very old German brewery or perhaps the Guinness factory
- "Temporal Dominoes" in some of the very places that inspired the song
- "The Nerd Anthem" at Legoland or the British Museum or somewhere else cool
LET'S MAKE A MOVIE GUYS!
I don't have a thorough list of ideas, because I bet YOU guys know cooler places in Europe than I do. So tell me what you would like in the Comments! Where should I make a video of which song?
If you are extra cool, you can do a little research into what is required to film there (whether we need permission or a permit or to pay for that location). Because I can only make videos in legal places with permission.
Near the end of the Kickstarter, I'll present the five or six best/most likely ideas, and you may spend your Questing Coins to vote for the video location of your choice. (We will devote lots of resources to that one video rather than making several, I gotta focus on playing concerts more than filming.)
So suggest away! Where would you like me to sing what? Discuss in the comments, and I'm sure popular ideas will emerge.
If you're at the $75 level or above, you'll also receive a link to view a private full-length concert video to go with your concert recording. It'll probably just be a one-camera shoot, but it will be high quality -- we'll light it and shoot close and all, it'll look great. So now you'll have video, not just audio, of a complete concert in Europe! You may even get two different concerts, depending.
YAY YAY YAY
Translations coming shortly so you can share more of this Kickstarter with folks in other countries. Woohoo!
Q: So what are you gonna do with the extra Kickstarter money you have earned?
Well, I'll tell you. I've been thinking about it lots and I want to be responsible with it.
- Make some movies happen!
- Budget a little more for higher-quality recordings in Europe!
- Get hard cases for my sound system and typewriter so they can travel safely!
- Sleep on the floor less while I travel over there!
- I budgeted some for my own recording equipment, which I badly need to complete this project (I'd rather have my own setup and invite an engineer to run it, it saves lots). As my current 50-states laptop behaves more and more erratically, and its insides are starting to come out, I might include a functional laptop in the "New recording equipment" budget. Because I sure as heck can't do much without one, and odds my current computer will die soon are high.
- Make more art. That's what you've told me -- that's what I'll do. All this money is in one way or another going to make new art, or going to free me up to make more art. I'm currently chewing on a song called "Impractical armor." I think you'll like it.
Q: Why not make more videos?
Stopping to make a video will take a couple days out of performing, and I still want the focus of this tour to be playing as many shows as possible for my awesome incredibly patient European fans. Plus, if we go slow and do it right, we'll end up with a much better video!