Back in 2010, I launched my very first Kickstarter project, and with your support and encouragement, began building up a library of sci-fi and fantasy maps for RPGs and miniatures games that has now grown to include 38 separate products. Planning, illustrating, and selling these maps has become the central focus of my cartography career, and in recent years we've been rounding out my product lines to create deluxe boxed sets that include even more map content in the bundle.
Now it's time for my Maps of Mastery product lines to level up and enter the next tier of play! But two of my poster map series are still missing their fourth installment. That's something I hope to remedy at last, with your help:
At $4000 - Deep Vistas IV
This double-sided poster expands the subterranean realms I first introduced in 2011. It features the lair of a deadly serpent cult and the writhing snake pits of their dark temple on the front. On the back you'll find a sentry outpost standing guard over a treacherous chasm crossing and the waterfalls that empty into its lightless depths! Both of these maps connect to one another, and to maps from Deep Vistas I and II! The starting goal of this Kickstarter campaign is to get this poster into print. It will also allow me to combine this series into a Deep Vistas Deluxe Set featuring three new panels of related map content to be revealed later.
At $8000 - Deck Space IV: Dangerous Seas
This poster takes my Deck Space series of customizable terrain maps in a whole new direction, revealing the weather deck and berth deck of the Brig Niagara, an authentic sailing vessel from the War of 1812! It also provides you 27 additional map features with which to customize the open waves and build your own encounters: a small island, a spare boat, assorted shipwreck flotsam, sharks, and even the arms of a mighty kraken! The first stretch goal of this campaign will pay for Dangerous Seas to be produced. It will also allow me to put all four Deck Space maps together into a deluxe pack, featuring three new panels of related map content to be revealed later.
By the way...because a lot of medieval fantasy games don't include black powder weapons, the downloadable PDF rewards for this map will include a variation of the ship without cannons:
At $10,000 - Glacier Base Tiles, Packs 1 & 2
[Note: This was originally a $12,000 Stretch Goal, but I've decided to reduce the print run on these to lower the amount of funding needed. As a result, they may or may not be available to the public after the funding drive.]
At this level, two special terrain card packs will be printed and made available to backers as a reward option. The Glacier Base tiles rework my existing Cavern Tunnel Tiles into a frozen military installation of tunnels and chambers carved out of ice. The back of the double-sided tiles reveals a natural ice cave, without the sci-fi elements. I'll post more images when we get closer to unlocking this goal, but here's a look at the two packs of tiles put together:
The printed posters are 22x34 inches in size, full-color, double-sided, and include at least one bonus terrain card designed to be placed on the map to change its features during gameplay. Each map has a subtle 1-inch grid illustrated into the floor. My older printed products are pre-folded, but all of the new posters will be available to backers in two ways: folded in a clear plastic resealable envelope, or rolled in a tube. You can choose when filling out your reward survey.
Exclusive Vinyl Map Prints:
As a special Kickstarter-exclusive reward, backers can pledge $55 to receive any single Maps of Mastery poster map image as a single-sided 22x34-inch premium, full-color, durable vinyl print, rolled in a tube for shipping. In your survey at the end of the funding drive, you can choose from any of the new maps created for this project, or any of my existing Maps of Mastery poster map images.
(Note: This special offer does not include maps I've created for other publishers over the years. I only own the copyright to my self-published maps.)
The Deep Vistas Delve:
This 34-inch wide, 88-inch tall, single-sided vinyl map banner for $125 merges The Stalactite Gate, Slave Pits, Fane of the Serpent Lord, and the Dark Reaches Stronghold into one continuous, epic subterranean locale. Perfect for big event games where you can cover multiple tables at once, or ongoing campaigns where you unroll a section at a time as the heroes explore the chambers and tunnels. Includes reinforced grommets at the top for easy wall hanging.
If you would like to receive any of the extra rewards listed below in addition to your chosen pledge reward, simply increase your pledge by the amount shown below, while keeping your original reward selected. At the end of the funding period, your reward survey will allow you to specify which additional item(s) you wish to add with the extra funds you pledged.
• DELUXE SET WRAPAROUND CARDS ~9x13" (Two printed double-sided cards featuring the cover of a Deluxe Set and three new map panels that can be used with the poster maps to adjust the terrain.) You may choose the deluxe set cards for either Deep Vistas or Deck Space. Add $4
NOTE #1: This add-on only gets you the bonus terrain cards from a set, not the full Deluxe Set. It is intended for those who already have some of the posters, and just want to get the extra terrain cards from the new deluxe set covers.)
NOTE #2: If your printed reward already includes all four Deck Space or Deep Vistas posters, your reward will *automatically* be upgraded to the Deluxe Set, and you do not need to purchase this add-on to get the extra content.
• ADDITIONAL MAPS OF MASTERY POSTERS 22x34" (New posters from this project, or any single poster or terrain card set product available in my map store. Visit www.mapsofmastery.com to browse what's available.): Add $12
• VINYL MAP PRINT 22x34" (Single-sided map print on vinyl. You may choose any one of the new poster map images from this project, or any previous Maps of Mastery poster map image from a product in my map store. Visit www.mapsofmastery.com to take a look at all of my other posters.): Add $55
• DEEP VISTAS DELVE 34x88" (Massive vinyl printed map banner depicting four Deep Vistas maps as one continuous, epic base level.): Add $125
• COMPLETE MAPS OF MASTERY POSTER MAP LIBRARY (Includes all of the maps from this project and all previous Maps of Mastery poster images, as downloadable PDF files): Add $40
• COMPLETE MAPS OF MASTERY TERRAIN CARD LIBRARY (Includes all existing Maps of Mastery terrain card set images, as downloadable PDF files): Add $30
• The MAPS OF MASTERY OMNIBUS - COMPLETE PDF ARCHIVE (Includes every map image published by Christopher West's Maps of Mastery to date--hundreds of terrain cards and dozens of poster maps--in one massive downloadable collection of PDF image files!): Add $50
You may choose more than one add-on. Just add the total amount for your combined selections to your current pledge level.
International backers: If you attach a printed add-on to your pledge, please include an additional $10 to help offset the increased shipping costs.
Risks and challenges
All of the artwork for these new posters is finished, so after the project is funded, only a few hurdles will remain to be overcome:
1) The posters will be produced by a printing company that I have used before with great results. Still, it's possible that printing setbacks outside of my control could slow down production and cause a delay. We're also seeking the very best print quality possible, and I won't settle for anything less. If delays happens, I will keep backers informed and work closely with the printer to fix things.
2) If this project exceeds all expectations and unlocks a lot of stretch goals, that extra work and the extra print quantities and additional shipping labor could also generate delays. Fulfillment might need to be handled in waves as the printer delivers a larger number of these maps over a greater period of time. That would slow delivery for some backers, but shouldn't delay the start of the process.
3) Any time postal services are involved, delivery delays or missing shipments are possible, too...especially with international shipping. I have a lot of experience shipping poster maps, though, and will remedy any problems as quickly as possible.
4) Finally, It should be noted that while the artwork for the new poster maps is already complete, I'll be working on more maps for Stretch Goals during the funding drive. While unlikely, technical setbacks could interfere. If they do, I'll adjust plans accordingly and keep everyone up to date.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (9 days)