Important Update: Backers who select printed rewards of the fourth poster *will* receive copies, even if the stretch goal for a full print run isn't achieved.
Welcome to the Halls of Legend, a castle of myth and mystery waiting to be explored!
This is a map-building project larger than any I've attempted before: a set of poster maps that let you build an enormous castle section-by-section for use with tabletop RPGs and miniatures games. As funding for this project grows, so will your castle: new sections will be unlocked and added to the available rewards via stretch goals, revealing new iconic castle set-pieces lavishly illustrated and ready for your gaming table!
This crenelated and gargoyle-encrusted medieval fortress mixes the practical needs of a defensive stronghold with the mystical trappings of a secret arcane academy and the luxurious appointments of a royal residence. Each modular poster map is designed to be useful on its own, while connecting seamlessly to adjacent sections as part of a greater whole.
Most of the artwork for this map series is already done, and I'll be finishing the expansion areas as we go. As always, the real hurdle to making these poster maps available is funding. Poster printing requires large print runs to keep the individual costs down for everyone, so your contribution to this project is crucial to getting it into print, and every bit of your funding goes directly into the cost of producing and delivering the maps.
I hope you like what you see, and that you'll be inspired to help bring this castle to life!
At $4000 - Halls of Legend I - FUNDED!
The initial funding goal gives you the first poster in the series: The Great Hall and Castle Dungeons! The front of the poster offers a gigantic gathering hall with tables prepared for a royal feast, while the back reveals the deep foundations on which the castle is built:
At $6000 - Halls of Legend II - FUNDED!
The first stretch goal will reveal the Entrance Halls and Upstairs Corridors, connected to each other by a grand staircase and forming a central core of the castle.
Here's a look at these two maps, connected by a grand staircase that allows the action in your games to span multiple elevations!
At $7000 - Bonus Map in PDF! - FUNDED!
When we cross this threshold, ALL backers will receive a FREE ADDITIONAL MAP in their PDF rewards: a Cathedral variant of the Great Hall that can add a grand chamber of worship to your castle!
At $8000 - Halls of Legend III - FUNDED!
At this level, we begin to branch out to the side wings of the castle. This poster features the Library Wing and the Residential Halls, including guest and faculty accommodations, student dormitories and a hospital for recovering heroes.
At $10,000 - Halls of Legend IV
Upon hitting this benchmark, you will reveal the Academy Wing and Tutorial Halls maps of the north side of the castle, with practice rooms, classrooms, workshops, and lecture halls where students of the mystical arts can learn and hone their skills.
Here's a peek at the ground floor of the Academy Wing. The level above is under construction. Check back as we unlock stretch goals!
When the first four double-sided posters are all unlocked, they will also be collected into a deluxe boxed set with additional map content, and everyone who gets all four will get the upgraded deluxe set map tiles for free!
Normally, this would finish the project, and the posters mentioned above are certainly enough to build a robust castle. However, I'm designing this castle with the potential to grow even further! If we hit all four of the goals laid out above, I'll be posting additional stretch goals to unlock even more, including a courtyard and the battlements around it, stables, greenhouses, servants' quarters, and the castle grounds beyond!
All told, my plans for this castle include 16 map images spanning 8 double-sided posters--two full deluxe sets worth of content that all fits together.
ABOUT THE REWARDS
The printed posters are 22x34 inches in size, full-color, double-sided, and include at least one bonus terrain card designed to be placed on the map to change its features during gameplay. Each map has a subtle 1-inch grid illustrated into the floor. My older printed products are pre-folded, but all of the new posters will be available to backers in two ways: folded in a clear plastic resealable envelope, or rolled in a tube. You can choose when filling out your reward survey.
Exclusive Vinyl Map Prints:
As a special Kickstarter-exclusive reward, backers can pledge $55 to receive any one Maps of Mastery poster map image as a single-sided 22x34-inch premium, full-color, durable vinyl print, rolled in a tube for shipping. In your survey at the end of the funding drive, you can choose from any of the new maps created for this project, or any of my existing Maps of Mastery poster map images.
(Note: This special offer does not include maps I've created for other publishers over the years. I only own the copyright to my self-published maps.)
If you would like to receive any of the extra rewards listed below in addition to your chosen pledge reward, simply increase your pledge (of $5 or more) by the amount shown below, while keeping your original reward selected. At the end of the funding period, your reward survey will allow you to specify which additional item(s) you wish to add with the extra funds you pledged.
• DELUXE SET WRAPAROUND CARDS ~9x13" (Two printed double-sided cards featuring the cover of a Deluxe Set and three exclusive map panels that can be used with the poster maps to adjust the terrain.) Add $4
NOTE #1: This add-on only gets you the bonus cover cards from a deluxe set, not the full Deluxe Set. It is intended for those who want extras.)
NOTE #2: If the printed rewards you select after the project includes all four of the new posters, your reward will *automatically* be upgraded to the Deluxe Set, and you do not need to purchase this add-on to get the extra content.
• ADDITIONAL MAPS OF MASTERY POSTERS 22x34" (New posters from this project, or any single poster or terrain card set product available in my map store. Visit www.mapsofmastery.com to browse what's available.): Add $13
• VINYL MAP PRINT 22x34" (Single-sided map print on vinyl. You may choose any one of the new poster map images from this project, or any previous Maps of Mastery poster map image from a product in my map store. Visit www.mapsofmastery.com to take a look at all of my other posters.): Add $55
• MAPS OF MASTERY OMNIBUS, VOL 1 (Every map image published by Christopher West's Maps of Mastery through 2016--hundreds of terrain cards and dozens of poster maps--in one massive downloadable collection of PDF image files!): Add $60
You may choose more than one add-on. Just add the total amount for your combined selections to your current pledge level.
International backers: If you attach a printed add-on to your pledge, please include an additional $10 to help offset the increased shipping costs.
Risks and challenges
Most of the artwork is finished ahead of time, so after the project is funded, only a few hurdles will remain to be overcome:
1) The posters will be produced by a printing company that I have used before with great results. Still, it's possible that printing setbacks outside of my control could slow down production and cause a delay. We're also seeking the very best print quality possible, and I won't settle for anything less. If delays happens, I will keep backers informed and work closely with the printer to fix things.
2) If this project exceeds all expectations and unlocks a lot of stretch goals, that extra work and the extra print quantities and additional shipping labor could also generate delays. Fulfillment might need to be handled in waves as the printer delivers a larger number of these maps over a greater period of time. That would slow delivery for some backers, but shouldn't delay the start of the process.
3) Any time postal services are involved, delivery delays or missing shipments are possible, too...especially with international shipping. I have a lot of experience shipping poster maps, though, and will remedy any problems as quickly as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (20 days)