Camera Ready is an instructional multimedia eBook dedicated to helping anyone utilize high-quality video to tell their story on camera.
Camera Ready: How to Present Your Best Self and Ideas On Air or Online
Hey there Kickstarters!
For the past several months I've been pouring my heart, soul, time and kid's college fund into creating Camera Ready, which is essentially a digital culmination of my life's work as an on-camera reporter and media trainer. After years of helping aspiring journalists, non-profit organizations, and others make non-crappy and more informative videos, I've decided to up the ante and create an entire book about making non-crappy and more informative videos! I couldn't be more excited about the work I've created and I'm eager to share it with everyone.
Here's a summary of what Camera Ready is:
- It's a multimedia enhanced eBook chock-full of informative content, including 20 videos covering on-camera tips and techniques based on my many years of experience as a reporter and media trainer. It's also pretty funny in some parts!
- It's got great interviews with video experts from media, technology, and academia. That's right, moguls and nerds!
- It will feature a forward by Google's Head of Media, Joshua Spanier, which is awesome, even though my request for a personal Google Doodle was sadly denied.
- Above all, my hope is that Camera Ready will be an invaluable learning tool for anyone who wants to share their message and connect with an audience in front of the camera, whether you're planning to conquer a network or YouTube with that guy Fred. He should totally get my book.
Besides Fred, who else is Camera Ready for?
- Journalists - make the most of your live interviews over Skype and Google+.
- Aspiring entrepreneurs - create an amazing product pitch or demo on-camera.
- Non-profits - spread your message and cause in a meaningful way.
Here's a sample of the chapters and sections that are included in Camera Ready:
- The Top Ten On-Camera Mistakes
- The Basic Tenet of Good Video: Versatility
- Superficial Stuff: Why You Should Care
- Preparation And Writing: Setting The Tone
- Time To Rehearse: Bring The Energy
- It's In The Angles
- Live or Taped: What To Expect
- The Art of Interviewing
Check out an excerpt from one of the twenty videos included in Camera Ready: 3 Tips For Shooting Video With Your Phone.
I'm happy to announce that I'm nearing the finish line creating the written content and videos that will hopefully make the Camera Ready a huge success. But as we journalists like to say, there's more to the story than meets the eye.
This is the special edition cover exclusively for Kickstarter backers. Want it? Pledge $25 or above and it's yours!
Now that I'm almost ready to unleash this work to the masses, I'm realizing that creating the book is just one of many steps. In order for people to actually know that Camera Ready exists, I need to invest in stuff no writer likes to think about — distribution, marketing, outreach, and other initiatives to get the word out in a way other than asking my kids to tell their friend's parents about "mommy's enhanced eBook" at recess. That's why I decided to launch this Kickstarter with a funding goal of $5,000 — to help cover my production costs, but more importantly, to give Camera Ready an even better chance for success. That's where you come in.
Your support will help ensure that Camera Ready will be released in a timely manner and at an affordable price for hopefully everyone. The estimated release date is June if all goes to plan. I'll be self-publising Camera Ready with help from Vook. It will be available in for Apple, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble platforms. BUT if you back the project at the $10.00 level or above, you'll get a DRM-free copy.
Your support will also go towards paying some of the talented friends and colleagues I've hired (at a considerable discount) to help produce and creatively promote Camera Ready in a way that will give it the best possible chance for being a hit.
Last but not least, I've created some nifty rewards that I hope will encourage you to support the project. Although, after some effort on my part, I was unable to secure unicorn rides. Next time.
If you have any questions about Camera Ready and this project, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you for supporting my project.
BONUS: BLOOPER REEL!
DRM "Stands for "Digital Rights Management."
It's technology that prohibits you from sharing and copying things you buy from a digital marketplace, such as Apple iBookstore and other companies that sell devices that support eBooks.
Backers who will be getting a copy of Camera Ready will get it without DRM, meaning there are none of the aforementioned restrictions. If funding is successful, we'll contact backers via Kickstarter survey and ask them what kind of device they have (iPad/iPhone, Kindle Fire, or Barnes & Noble Nook). You will then get a link to download Camera Ready in the appropriate format. Bottom line — it's the best way to get you your reward without having you go through too much red tape!
You can read more about DRM in eBooks on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management#E-books
While the text of my book is supported on all Kindle devices, Kindle Fire does not support embedded video (seems weird given that it's supposed to be an iPad rival!). As you may have read, my eBook has 20 videos. So how will backers with Kindles get the videos? Great question. Here's the answer:
If my project is successfully funded, all backers will be getting a survey where we'll ask you which device you would like the eBook for. For those who select Kindle, you'll get a file of the book like everyone else, which will display the book's text as it was intended to be shown. For the videos, you'll have access to a folder on Dropbox where you'll be able to download all of the book's videos.