Stool - STOOLDIO
Stool - STOOLDIO
[NOT CARDBOARD! ] It could last over a century! Made from HD-SSC-FB (High Density Super Strong Corrugated Fiberboard), GREEN GUARANTEED
[NOT CARDBOARD! ] It could last over a century! Made from HD-SSC-FB (High Density Super Strong Corrugated Fiberboard), GREEN GUARANTEED Read more
About this project
THIS IS NOT THE CORRUGATED PAPER NOR CARDBOARD
NO GLUE, NO SCREW, NO FUSS
THIS STOOL IS
LIGHT - Easy to move around
LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY - Wont fall easily
STRONG - A stool that lasts.
COMFORT - For everyday use.
100% Chemical Free - We love our earth!
Inspiration comes from the waste that we see everyday - the corrugated paperboard boxes. The corrugated paper was invented in 1856 and patented in England. Two decades later, Albert Jones of New York used the corrugated paper for shipping materials and patented it on December 20, 1871.Soon, in 1895, the wooden crates and boxes were being replaced by corrugated paper shipping cartons.
There are so many applications of the corrugated paperboard such as furniture and packaging. One down factor in this material is that - deformation is likely to occur after 1.5 year.
There has been no further development over the past century (1900-2013) until we, at MangosteenLab, came up with a new development process that allows us to manufacture this new innovative material.
MangosteenLab believes that the corrugated pattern found in cardboard paper can be applied to wood and other composite panels/boards. We had already started a small scale production of this corrugated wood. Its made from hardboard (Masonite).
The art of making a stool has been lost trough time. Here we bring it back in its simplest form, focusing on its strength and balance.
The weight distribution of any object on top of our stool is distributed evenly to ground. The stool could hold 1000 x its own weight! We have come a long way with this product. From our initial sketches on paper to prototyping and lots of testing.
Laser cut offers high precision shapes. Initially, the laser cut was use to draw a thin line on Super Corrugated Board. Hands were use to feed the outlined Super Corrugated Board to table-saw, cutting was done line by line.
We are glad to have experts helping and giving advice on good quality product. The picture above shows them analyzing product, finding any imperfections.
Nevertheless, the samples are sent to the lab for testing.
1. 3D Forming of any desired forms and shapes.
2. Sandwiching flat panels to the 3d formed corrugated, Super Corrugated Board is created.
3. Shape-cutting the bottom part, transforming the Super Corrugated Board into the stool.
4. Shape-cutting the upper part, transforming the ultra-low density fiberboard into top seats.
5. Wrapping the top part with cloth
6. Pre-assembly - we make sure that every stool will be ready to assembled.
7. Surface finishing, we treated the surface of the Super Corrugated Board.
How it's made?
1. : 5 mm Masonite, drilled. Rope will prevent top and bottom part from dropping apart.
2. : Low density wood-fiber, wrapped with cloth, perfect place to be seated.
3 & 4 : Super Corrugated Board precisely cut using CNC Machine.
STOOLDIO is not just an ordinary stool. With it's classic design, the Stooldio is a comfortable, easy to assemble and very durable.
- Could potentially last a century long.
- Made out of a new innovative eco-friendly material, the High Density, Super Strong Corrugated FiberBoard (HD-SSC-FB), Super Corrugated Board in short.
- It's a type of material and process that has the power to change our world
Apart from this corrugated pattern, our new manufacturing technique can be applied to form any desired 3D pattern.
This is the future material. You will be the first group of people who have the chance to explore this material. We will provide you with consistent updates on the material and its applications in the future.
Application of Super Corrugated Board is endless, the future is here, we do not need to wait another century to see its application.
Risks and challenges
The challenges to us that this project poses include:
- ensuring the manufacturing cost and shipping fees are under control.
- verifying that the standard quality of control is outstanding.
- maintaining the speed of manufacturing and output capacity is regulated.
Since we are both the manufacturer and designer of the product, we will be able to handle the situation more efficiently. However, incase of any delays we will make sure that all backers will be informed on the issue.
Although we currently do not know how many units we have to produce as the number of pledges are not finalised, we promise to try our best to make sure our products are delivered on time.
Large-scale production requires careful planning to ensure smooth flow of raw materials. Our manufacturing team had faced many challenges during invention of the techniques and prototyping. MangosteenLab will ensure the best quality products to all backers.
We will carefully monitor the entire production process from the very start till the very end - from manufacture of the High Density, Super Strong Corrugated FiberBoard (HD-SSC-FB) through to the CNC routing of the stools and the delivery to our respectable customers like you.
We highly appreciate your feedback!
Thank you for your support.
MangosteenLabLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (49 days)