About this project
Welcome to Beyond The Beers - men breaking the stereotype through conversation
We men love a good yarn, to chat and banter. Even better over a beer, or 10. Sadly though for many men it never goes beyond this, if even at all.
Many men have no male interaction outside of the workplace, and if we do, it's often this surface level chat with no capability for anything mroe meaningful.
Beyond The Beers is a place for men to actually do that - go beyond the surface and provide examples for other men to chat, listen, learn, laugh and grow.
Hi I’m Mike Campbell and I’m the host of Beyond the beers. I’m also a man coach, author, avid stone fruit eater and somewhat tragically a self-proclaimed low-level Batman.
This project was born through my passion to help men break free of the restrictive macho stereotype that sees so many of us men keep everything to ourselves and the various issues we face as a result.
By starting with conversation we can take the first steps towards individual change as well as change on a larger scale.
This is accessible information about life, manhood and masculinity - for men who want more out of life, but aren’t sure how to go about making it happen.
So Why Beyond The Beers?
In 2016, despite living in the best time in history - more than ever men are stuck, lost, detached. Depression, anxiety and suicide are frighteningly high in men throughout the western world. Every day in Australia 7 people kill themselves. 5 of who are men.
It’s become clear that so many men are suffering in silence; too afraid to open up to other guys and have a decent chat beyond the surface banter and meaningless small talk we so easily cling to.
It could be so simple, and it could be instrumentally significant.
Knowing that it’s not just you can go a long way. Witnessing other men going beyond the surface provides an example for us to follow. In each episode I sit down with a guest to talk about them, their take on manhood and dig into the topic of conversation with them.
My mission is to make having the conversation easier to step into, to help men break this stereotype and start living life as yourself - 100% YOU. I see this show as a crucial and realistic vehicle to initiate that.
What to Expect from an Episode?
Expect to learn, to laugh and to be inspired to take action in your own life.
Below you'll see more details on the show, how we’re putting it together and what this Kickstarter campaign will be contributing to.
Each episode will have a shorter, more snappy version as well as a longer 'full' episode for those who want to see the whole chat.
Each episode will also be turned into a full episode audio podcast for those that enjoy listening on the go.
Each guest has his own unique story and take on things, from more high profile TV stars and athletes, to other men in this space, to everyday blokes embracing vulnerability and having the meaningful conversation.
As of right now we have Five interviews filmed ready to edit. Guests featuring include:
- Scott Tweedie - Australian TV presenter on 'The Loop' and Prank Patrol, Scott spends his time making people laugh and bringing value to the world. We had a great chat about his passion for making people smile, a genuine all round legend
- Kayne Tremills - Australian television presenter best known for his role as a host on Australian children's television programme Studio 3, which is broadcast on ABC3, as well as hosting and producing a number of other shows. He's also a TOP BLOKE and we had a brilliant conversation.
- JuVan Langford - Men's Empowerment Coach, YouTube Creator and International Speaker. JuVan creates community, conversations, and content that support men around the world. We had an insightful chat about manhood and getting vulnerable. A definite stereotype breaker this one!
- Jackson Auld - As a 17 year old promising footballer, 'Jacko' was all of a sudden faced with a broken neck after a hit from behind at training from a team mate. He not only had to learn to talk again, but learn a new way of life. He now does so as a speaker, educating others and telling his inspiring story.
- ME! - Mike Campbell: The first episode is going to be me being interviewed by the talented professional interviewer Scott Tweedie. I want to start this series off by setting the example and showing that in this concept of having more meaningful conversation - I can face the questions too, not just ask them of others.
Who else? - We can't confirm names right now, but we have a wide variety of guys planned to come on the show, from all walks of life - some who have public profile, some not, but all in all a great bunch of men to have real conversations with.
What Does Pledging Bring YOU?
Every pledge from you helps us get the show put together and continue filming more episodes.
However, in making a contribution to getting this show made, not only do you get to become a vital investor and see YOUR show made, but every pledge has a wonderful reward attached. We have rewards ranging from social media shout outs to executive producer credits, and having your questions answered to even being interviewed in an episode for series two - check them to the RIGHT to see what resonates with you.
For those who haven't pledged here before - we have to make the whole target - even $1 short and nothing happens.
We’ve almost filmed the first series, however, the post production is where the work really comes in. That’s where the focus lies right now.
Once we’ve made series one we’ll be rolling straight into series two with more guest interviews, ready to make a dent in the world of modern masculinity.
I also ask that you share this with people you think will resonate with the show so we can make a bigger impact together.
Our Team -
Right now we are a small team all into this as a passion project. However, that is the road block we've hit. In order to get these episodes made and out to the public, to you guys, we need to expand our little team in order to ramp up post-production.
Right now we don't have the capacity (time) or expertise to get this published.
What the money goes to -
Right now the biggest expense we face to complete Series One lies in the post-production; editing, animation/graphics, as well as website platform for the show's home.
We are endeavouring to make a show that looks, sounds and feels great. However, this isn't being frivolous with money. We are doing our best to keep this budget as low as we can, without making it look like I personally editing it when I was drunk (I am not an editor!).
We want this show to have a look and feel that results in any viewer willing and keen to invest their precious eyeball space and take in an episode.
To detail it a little more:
- Editing - Minimum $5000 AUD for Series One - double that for Series Two
- Graphic design/animation (think opening/closing roll/credits)
- Website creation and continual management with each episode
- iTunes/podcast editing, file creation and episode management
- Filming gear - right now we are working with what we have, and already seeing a little cost in the quality. In order to nail the final interview of Series One and continue making series two, we are facing a small investment to bring our final camera up to scratch.
Stretch Goals -
In setting this campaign I've been careful to consider what I think I can ask my people (that's you) for. This is an amount I think is reachable so we can definitely at least get to editing the first series.
Ideally we'd stretch well past that to cover the appropriate gear for filming Series Two and then the post-production work for Series Two.
The nature of the team right now is somewhat transient... with no available budget to remunerate, it's hard to lock people down to nail this project which is essentially my baby. As much as these guys love the project, they have to be reimbursed for their time and effort.
Stretch goals are to ensure we can bring some stability to the team, and therefore, the filming.
Stretch Goal #1 - $10,000 AUD: If we can reach $10,000 we'll go straight into filming and putting together Series Two. This is a much more realistic target for Series One and getting the little bit of gear we need to start filming Series Two (However, I feel $7000 is a safer bet to initially ask for from my supporters, seeing as if we don't reach out pledge we get nothing)
Stretch Goal #2 - $15,000: This will see us secure the services of an editor and director/producer for both Series Two and Three, while also putting together promotional video materials for the Beyond The Beers EVENT here in Sydney in late July/August.
Stretch Goal #3 - $25,000: As above, but I'll be able to invest in the recording equipment for the upcoming series without having to rely on borrowing off mates or part time crew... which is where we are right now! If we hit $25,000 we'll also extend Series Two and Three to 8 episodes each.
Thanks for reading and thanks so much for your pledge!
Risks and challenges
Our biggest challenges here involve securing the guests we want to interview, nailing down schedules to make these interviews happen and then putting them together.
Once we have funding we should be all go for post-production, however, securing the right editor with the capacity will be the first step, as we can't yet to that without the funding to pay that person. This could cause a delay, but we'll be trying our hardest to prevent this.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (20 days)