High quality fader in every channel, best in class dual bus summing and mastering grade centre section. Sounds like a big console?
Now add the freedom of 500 series modules and the ability to create bespoke configurations for analogue gear in your studio, in a device that can fit onto your desk.
This is Mana Modular.
Streatch Goal - 10 000 £!
Thanks everyone for the great support we have received. With what we have received we can be sure to make Mana real.
With just a few days to go we would like to introduce a streach goal to our campaign. If our campaign reach 10 000 £, we will add premium timber side panels to every Mana console sold on Kickstarter.
Help us make every Mana look gorgeous!
The 500 Series
500 series modules are a standard for analogue and digital audio hardware and have become a go-to format for small audio modules in the recent years. Their low up front cost and small footprint made them extremely popular among audio professionals.
The modular nature of the 500 series is at the heart of Mana. You get 10 slots for 500 modules allowing you, the user, to tailor Mana to your needs choosing from any microphone pre-amps, equalizers, compressors and other modules available on the market.
Mana is the heart of a studio
The word "Mana" comes from Māori and means spiritual power and personal influence.
For us, Mana represents highest quality, passion and experience. Mana Modular was designed to enable you to build your unique setup, shape your own configuration and to grow and change with your needs.
These days, most music is recorded on small systems and laptops. Those large bespoke mixing consoles are nice, but expensive and require meticulous maintenance.
Mana 510 gives you the best of both worlds: a premium analogue audio console easily scaled to 32 channels and integrated digital control with low upfront and support costs in a single, modern, ergonomic package.
Mana configuration options are endless, but it’s only half of the story. We managed to fit a truly remarkable set of features in this compact unit:
- 10 slots housing any 500 series modules
- Dual mix bus design
- 8 channel, field scale-able, analogue desktop audio console
- PPM meter in every channel
- Mastering grade master section
- Easily expandable in multiples of 8 channels
- High quality Penny and Gilles faders
- Up to 16 channel analogue summing
- Channels cascade & channel controls
Mana is perfect for:
If you are recording, you can fill Mana with pre-amps to assign a different sonic character to every instrument. Built in aux sends and headphone amplifier will allow you to get the balances right for your talent.
In a mixing scenario, you can combine different modules and use Mana's fully analogue summing features, like two mix buses to make your mix sound even better.
For mastering, you can build high quality stereo processing chains and use your hardware and software in the most productive way. Mana is capable of cascading channels in mono or stereo chains with a single touch of a button.
In any scenario Mana 510 works as the centre piece of your studio.
Mana 510 features - Channel
- High quality 100mm P&G fader
- 2 aux sends
- solo/cut function
- rear panel features XLR mic inputs, D-SUB line inputs, direct outs, summing inputs and console link cables
- hard wire module bypass
- channels can be cascaded in mono (1-2-3-…) or stereo paths (1-3-5… and 2-4-6-…)
- pre or post fader direct output
- compressor side chain link
- ‘Classic’ or ‘Modern’ mixing or (optional) voltage summing via a Carnhill Transformer with class A mix amps
- LED Peak meter in every channel
Mana 510 Features - Master Section
- 2 sets of monitor speakers
- artist headphone outputs
- talkback and auto talkback control
- optional ADC DAC extension
- external monitoring two 500 module slots as pre fade inserts
- additional stereo inserts on the back panel
- LED Peak or VU meter on L and R channel
- mastering grade monitor section with 4 monitoring points (including 3.5mm jack)
- relay based volume control
- main mix P&G 100 mm fader
- front panel headphone out can follow monitor or mirror the rear panel artists headphone feeds
- optional analogue VU meter via rear panel outlet
Mana 510, Mana 508 and Mana Rack
Mana 510 is the first in a series of Mana Modular small format mixers. We're also planning to release the Mana 508 8 channel companion chassis channel expansion and the Mana Rack frame that accommodates a 3RU patch bay or a DIY Euro Synth Rack and an Avid® Artist Mix enabling Pro Tools® digital control and automation.
All Mana Modular units can be connected creating a neat and versatile setup.
Mana is real!
Mana 510 is a real product. We have a working, beautifully designed prototype, many milestones reached and exciting plans. Now, we need your support to finalize this project.
Check out the list of features, milestones and join us!
- concept - accomplished!
- design - accomplished!
- features - implemented!
- 500 series compatible working prototype - accomplished!
- UX - accomplished!
- accurate metering - accomplished!
- integration testing - accomplished!
- accessories - invented and in progress
- control app - in progress
Impressive, isn't it?
Still on our To Do list
Mana is a complex device. Although most of the design work is done there are still areas that require attention to make the challenge of manufacturing and delivery of a truly stellar product.
The key to Mana's unique shape is an extruded aluminium piece. To get it made, we need to commit to ordering a huge volume and invest significantly up front.
The unique design allows affordable, easy assembling and allows us to build other units, like the 508 or Rack with very little additional cost.
To ensure highest quality of every Mana we ship, we need to finalize our Audio Precision based test systems and integrate our last feature: a usb control application.
Keeping the price of Mana at a reasonable level and maintaining good relationships with our suppliers means we will need to order large quantities of parts. This again is a significant up front cost.
Hope to see you involved in the Mana project!
- Help make an entirely new concept real - a versatile platform for building the perfect studio, providing a solid backbone for any hardware configuration
- Support the launch of a technologically advanced, well-designed and innovative device created by talented and experienced team
Please note that the colours of the unit might change to make sure Mana looks the best it can. We will be informing about these changes in update page for our backers.
Avid® and Pro Tools® are trademarks or registered trademark of Avid Technology, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries.
Risks and challenges
Unexpected delays in manufacturing are possible. Making sure to deliver the design in time for production slots will be crucial for quick turnover. The key to Mana's success is the enormous amount of effort we have spent on making sure that the unit is easy to manufacture, test and service.
Error in extrusion manufacturing process. Re-doing might be mighty expensive. To make sure we get it right fist time all our drawings will be verified by creating 3D printed, working models of each piece.
The team is spread across the world so delays are possible, until the production facility is set in Poland. Testing will be key to keep the quality as high as possible. This is why we want to build automated testing jigs with the highest quality equipment - Audio Precision instruments and custom built hardware. This process is already under way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)