STATEMENT: Handmade Leather Bags. Built To Last.
Beautiful, durable leather satchels, handmade by artisans with quality leather in an assortment of classic and colorful styles.
Statement Satchels will relaunch on Kickstarter in Fall 2014!
Few accessories are able to balance form and function. Fewer still are made well enough to endure daily use. Rather than finding a cheap replacement every few months, doesn't it make better sense to support a product that will persevere?
Make a Statement. Select from high quality, full grain leathers and fabrics. Build your ideal satchel. Empower and employ talented artisans by investing in a product that will last.
Meet The Collection.
The 2014 Statement Satchel Collection is five handmade leather bag designs and a matching set of wallets, each with many possible combinations of leather and canvas for you to choose from:
Reward Level: $95-99 (depending on leather selection)
- This cute, smaller variation is just as sturdy as our other Statement Satchels - perfect for your work essentials or an evening out.
- Features a rear zipped pocket. A thin leather strap allows the Mini to be worn on or across the shoulder.
- 8.3" x 6.3" x 3.1" (21cm x 16cm x 8cm)
Reward Level: $125-130 (depending on leather selection)
- Our signature satchel, ideal for urban commutes and young professionals.
- Comfortably fits an average workload and tablet device. The shoulder strap can be threaded through the metal loop on the back to create backpack straps.
- 12.6" x 9.1" x 3.9" (32cm x 23cm x 10cm)
Reward Level: $175-180 (depending on leather selection)
- Fits a laptop and enough workload to meet the day-to-day needs of any frequent traveler or professional.
- The shoulder strap-to-backpack conversion is perfect for bike commuters! Also features a sturdy leather flap and zipped closing, and a rear zipped compartment (now with two zippers to allow threading extendable luggage handles).
- 15" x 11.8" x 4.7" (38cm x 30cm x 12cm)
Reward Level: $275
- The full leather edition of the Carryall, handmade with premium Itagui leather.
- Features a rugged leather flap and zipped closing, a thick leather shoulder strap (that doubles as backpack straps), and a rear zipped compartment (now with two zippers to allow threading extendable luggage handles).
- 15" x 11.8" x 4.7" (38cm x 30cm x 12cm)
Reward Level: $290
- This full leather bag is built to see the job done year after year.
- Includes a thick leather shoulder strap (that doubles as backpack straps), rugged leather flap and zipped closing, two front pockets and a rear zipped pocket.
- 13.8" x 9.8" x 5.9" (35cm x 25cm x 15cm)
Reward Level: $50 - or add $50 to any other pledge to make it a combo!
- A great standalone pocketbook wallet, or the ideal complement to our handmade leather satchels - made with the same material!
- Includes 8 card slots, 3 pocket sleeves, and a coin pocket with zipped closing.
- Closed: 5.9" x 3.9" (15cm x 10cm)
Meet The Team.
Mamahuhu launched in late 2010 with the passion for creating fun and functional accessories that would outlast the competition. We found that the solution was in exercising complete control over the entire process - from design to material selection to production. This vision was realized by tapping into the wealth of knowledge and experience available in the Bogotan artisanal community.
At Mamahuhu, everything starts with our materials. The Colombian leather markets are among the best in the world, and by pairing such amazing material with the experience of talented artisans, each with decades of experience in bag and accessory production, we are able to offer pieces that are truly spectacular.
Meet The Material.
The leathers we are using for the Statement Satchel Collection were developed exclusively for these bags. They originate in the Itagui region of Colombia, and are of the absolute highest quality. They are also as eco-friendly as possible; the sourced leather is a byproduct of the meat industry, and the finish utilized by the Itagui tanneries involves a natural tinting that avoids harmful paints and pollutants.
The end result: Leathers that are consistent throughout. A scratch to the surface reveals the same color underneath. Through regular wear, each satchel will develop its own character over time, making your Statement unique.
Here's Where You Come In.
The Statement Satchel Collection is our vision for durable, high quality leather accessories. But we can't realize this project without you as our backer. Together, let's make a Statement.
- You will receive a handmade Statement satchel, at an exclusive discount, before they’re available anywhere else!
- You will be supporting smart, ethical manufacturing methods! Unlike brands that outsource production overseas, we are personally involved in every step of the process.
- You will help us to keep highly skilled artisans employed, while creating new jobs in both Colombia and America!
Successfully funded, we’ll be able to produce our first run of the Statement Satchel Collection in August/September, ship them in bulk to Miami, and fulfill all of our backers’ rewards in October/November.
Spread The Word.
We're grateful to the following people for their support of this project:
Kevin Rustagi - Inspiration
Jim Pfeifer - Music
Laura Parra - Makeup
Risks and challenges
Design, sourcing, manufacturing, exportation, shipping - all of these activities require sufficient knowledge and experience to manage well.
With two Kickstarter projects under our belt and a consistently growing team of capable people, we guarantee the fulfillment of every backer's order placed through this Kickstarter project.
Furthermore, we intend to honor requests for exchanges in the event that the reward received is not correct. This policy is currently in effect for our previous Kickstarter project, in which a small number of backers received custom boots that did not fit as intended.
As we work directly with our artisans in the production of these satchels, any potential setbacks or unforeseen challenges will be met with swift action and remedy, such that they will not affect our deadlines for the first production run.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)