VIDEO: The campaign's over! Now, what comes next
Well, heroes, you did it. We finished this campaign! We won! Great work, everyone!
Seriously, thank you very much to everyone who pledged. I'm very excited to make this book and share it with you.
Here's what to expect from here on out:
- Kickstarter has probably already charged your card. If there is an error (expiration date or something), they only give you a week to fix it before they call your pledge "dropped". So if you got any sort of error message from Kickstarter, please correct whatever information is needed so it can be re-tried this week!
- If you know anyone who was interested in this book but who missed the window to pledge, I have set up a signup list for being notified when the book will be available next! That link is here.
- With the final page count (144) settled upon, I've put together a "bookmap" that indicates what content will go on what page. There will be just over 200 comics in the book, starting with Wondermark #566 and ending with #767 (plus a few new comics without episode numbers).
A total of 26 comics have already been newly colored for this book, like so:
(Here's the original in black & white for comparison)
The colorist is Marcus "Parcus" Thiele, whose colors also grace the cover of the book as well as many past Wondermark projects. The colored strips look AMAZING coming out of Marcus's hands! Someday I'd like to pull a Bone and have the whole back archive colored... But alas. Maybe for the next Kickstarter.
Each of the colored strips will also have a half page of bonus content associated with it, expanding in some various way on the premise of that strip.
Here's the bookmap looks like, just to give you an idea:
As each page is finalized with the hi-res comic file, alt-text, paper textures, titles & other details, I'll mark them off on this list. The pages with just comics are easy! I hear some cartoonists make books with just that, no bonus content at all. Well, I call that both LAZY and also probably a smart idea but I've already decided I'm doing it this way instead.
- Over at Wondermark this week I'll be wrapping up the final 2 installments of the 23-part "sick elephant" storyline that has improbably been running since the beginning of August.(You can, of course, read from the beginning of the storyline by starting at sickelephant.com.)
Once that's done, I'll be focusing on this book primarily, with an aim to get it off to print in good order this fall.
- Sometime in the next month or two, I'll be sending you a link to BackerKit to preliminarily fill in your shipping address, have you detail your add-ons, etc. Then, once I have an idea of relative quantities needed, I'll place the order for enamel pins and bookplates.
- As I mentioned in the project description, once December rolls around I will be switching gears briefly to work on the annual Wondermark Calendar (now in year twelve)! So expect to hear about that when it becomes available, and also expect that it'll ship in December (before the books arrive). That's all to be expected.
- Once printed, the books will hitch a boat ride across the Pacific, and if all goes to plan, I expect to take possession of them perhaps in March. While I wait for the books to arrive, I'll be drawing your bookplates and collecting all the add-on material for your individual orders. You'll hear more about that part of the process much later on!
So for now, you don't have to do anything. If you have add-ons, you'll specify the details when the BackerKit survey goes out a bit later on.
I'll be in touch with any further updates here, and in the meantime, thanks again for being a part of this project! I look forward to making it and then sending it to you and then having you enjoy it and tell me how much you liked it. THAT'S WHY I DO THESE THINGS.