M-One brings creativity right to your desktop
We found the 3D printing machines for designers had either not enough resolution or were too large in size, while still requiring professional skills and a very complex process to operate. So we started to develop an affordable, high detail desktop-size printer, that is reliable, easy to use, and perfect for companies and personal use. Hence the M-One was born!
At the same time, we plan for the M-One to be an open-source project, to create and foster a community of high resolution 3D printing, working together to make M-One the best it can be.
Update: Stretch goals added!
MakeX team has paid great attention to make M-One elegant and with excellent mechanism organization for user convenience. To achieve the level of simplicity in the user experience and confidence in M-One’s performance, we have specially designed a straightforward and highly integrated system.
- Elegant design - A compact size of 380x320x490mm(14.9"x12.6"x19.3"), allowing you to easily place M-One on any table. It’s round rectangle body shape and vertical sliding mask make it the most beautiful DLP Desktop 3D Printer.
- Suitable Build Area- With a 145x110x170mm(5.7"x4.3"x6.7") building volume, M-One is great for jewelry, prototype building, hobby crafts, and many other uses.(Yi Yuan coin is the same size as a quarter)
Incredibly fine detail- Up to 20 micron layer thickness, and 140 micron min. feature size, gives you the most detailed and complex model ever. Free your imagination.
- Fast Output- Faster printing speed, less waiting time, brings your design from concept to reality within a few hours. Suggested printing speed is 2.5cm(1") per hour*
POWERFUL SOFTWARE SYSTEM
M-One has a simple and user-friendly software operation. We developed our software independently and are proud to present several fascinating functions as introduced below.
- Hollow - This function makes a solid object hollow to a specified shell thickness, so that the resin required for the object is reduced and the vat can have a longer service life.
- Support generator- Supporters for vacant parts of the object would be automatically generated and manually edited. To achieve the best supporter solution, have your model printed with all the details.
- Image Modifier & Printing Trace Log- The printing images could be re-positioned and duplicated before print, so that users could modify and fine-tune the object without any re-processing of each model respectively. The tracing log of printed areas identifies any over used area on the vat, maximizing the utilization of the silicone layer on vat.
We developed our tilt mechanism and patent-pending soft vat system, to achieve a higher printing success rate.
- Tilt motion- M-One's system offers a tilt mechanism as our demoulding solution, eliminating the vacuum force in the demoulding process.
- Flex vat- We developed a patent-pending soft vat system for M-One, which has both sufficient elasticity and tension to release the vacuum pressure. Moreover, the silicone layer on the membrane could be easily replaced even by the user at a very low cost after its service life.
We developed our electronics and PCB board on Arduino. They were created to extend the benefits of M-One's technology, to accelerate 3D printing community development.
- Arduino + M-One board - M-One's board was developed on Arduino. we will opensource our control system, which means you can modify and extend the printer functions as you wish with more possibilities.
- Modification support- As an opensource project, modification parts and instructions will be available to our supporters to make their own M-One system, which allows them to use their own projectors in the future. Users will then just need to screw the projector onto the frame, and the printer will be ready to use. Together with the rich functionality of M-One, the opensource control system makes the process of modification more reliable and simple.
Expense after purchasing a 3D printer is always a pain for users. M-One developed several ways to keep the cost to as little as possible. These include the material selection, software modification, and vat life optimization.
- Multi-material support- M-One supports all third-party material. We have tested several stable resins for M-One with various properties. We offer SubG+ from our official supplier MakerJuice. The resin is available from as low as $45/L. (MS resin from madesolid is also recommended as it works perfectly with M-One)
- Software modification - The Hollow and Image Modification functions help the user avoid unnecessary material cost and vat consumption.
- Vat & Bulb - You can easily replace the silicone layer on the membrane by yourself rather than purchasing another vat. It is also very easy to replace the projector bulb for a low price after its service life(one bulb will last about 3000~5000 hours).
All printer rewards come with a finish kit, including a finishing tray and all the necessary accessories to make your masterpiece come true!
Comparison to other desktop 3D printers
What will I get?
- Reward Options(Projector is included in the package):
- Regular Edition & Black Edition :
- Collector's Edition, choose the Colorful M-One you like:
- MakeX T-shirt:
We are ready for full production
We have already developed fully functional prototypes from our manufacturing factory. We are testing and building the final version to verify its stability, to be sure every detail is perfect.
We are checking every part on M-One to optimize the design and functionality, including testing of the final PCB revision, as well as other electronic components, to achieve the best performance of M-One. We have begun testing the new assembly to finalize the design for mass-production.
Beta software has been developed and tested on M-One with full functionality. More tests will be run to achieve the optimal performance, and the codes simplified to achieve the best efficiency.
We plan to deliver the first rewards of M-One printers by November. The mass production phase will start as soon as we get funded on Kickstarter. We need your support to take M-One into next stage, to start an opensource revolution in the high resolution 3D Printing community!
What will the opensource plan be?
MakeX supports the freedom of development. That’s why the M-One DLP 3D printer is the first open source project of its kind. By promoting transparency and collaboration, we hope to foster an open community, where developers can work together and creativity grows.
Along with providing open access of M-One’s source code to the 3D printing community, MakeX will promote the rich possibilities of opensource through its mailing list, educational videos, and instructions available online. We believe in the free market of ideas and its ability to modify and improve the M-One system.
The Innovative MakeX Team
We are very lucky and inspired to have such a passionate, talented, and inter-disciplinary team. Everyone devotes themselves with a single mind to build a 3D printer that can bring our concepts to life in a revolutionary way. After months of sleepless nights and hard work developing our project, we finally present you our first product- M-One- an elegant desktop DLP 3D printer, which brings us unexpectedly fine effects. We would like to give our most sincere and heartfelt thanks to all our supporters, advisers, and team members. The project could not have gotten wheels and so quickly up to speed without their unconditional help and dedication!
Risks and challenges
Constructing a prototype, and watching an idea go from vision to production, is often where many Kickstarter campaigns confront difficulties. We already have a team of talented, passionate, and motivated designers and engineers, who have worked together over 1 year, working through the challenges of production everyday.
Most of the mechanical engineering and adjustments to the design are now complete, and we are confident that we can deliver this product on schedule. We have built a close relationship with the manufacturers. Together we have built several different prototypes in the factories and have worked closely since the design stage to optimize the engineering system for manufacture. As a result, we have assembled reliable and tested prototype machines with excellent product durability.
We take the satisfaction of our backers very seriously and will take every possible step to ensure that you are kept up to date with the production processes. Each machine will be fully tested once before shipment to make sure every element of the M-One works perfectly. Any unanticipated delays or manufacturing problems that may affect the delivery of your M-One will be communicated promptly and with the upmost care.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)