About this project
Space Plus- ESS Sabre32 DSD/DXD asynchronous USB DAC
• First of all, we'd like to thank you for the success of our previous Kickstarter project, the Space Audiophile DAC. This was a motivation to raise the product to a next level and bring you an even better experience while listening to your favourite music. We are proud to bring you the more advanced version of the Space, the Space Plus Audiophile DAC, which we designed using reference-class components for achieving the ultimate quality.
Sound test video in updates.
Do you love high quality music in high definition?
• Do you want to play back high def audio files like DSD (Direct Stream Digital) PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) or DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) up to 384 kHz 32 bit, however you don't want to spend a fortune on a high end BD/SACD player? Would you prefer to listen to your music collection from your laptop, gaming console, tablet or even your smartphone? Space Plus DAC is the ideal solution for you! Plug it in to the USB port, and get ready to experience the highest quality sound technology can offer you.
• Prototype board of the Space Plus DAC
• Status LEDs and the micro USB port.
• Pair of RCA audio outputs, S/PDIF coaxial RCA output and 3.5mm jack socket headphones output with built in S/PDIF TOSlink output.
• Space Plus is a High-end two channel asynchronous USB DAC (digital to analog converter) which we designed using the highes quality components. Like our previous product, Space Plus has also a very small footprint (70 x 73 x 24 mm) so you can take it with you everywhere.
• The enclosure of Space Plus is made from 1.5mm thick aluminium, which is robust and provides perfect isolation from the outside interference.
• Space Plus will be available in two colours, Luxury Gold and Space Black.
What devices does Space Plus support?
• The device connects via USB 2.0 (Plug and play) and with excpetion of Windows, you will not need any drivers to use it. Space Plus supports Windows (driver is required), OS X (macOS), Linux, Android and iOS. (iOS devices connect only through Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter).
• This is the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter which is required to use it with iOS devices. For connection to Android devices, a simple OTG USB cable is required.
• The analog output is a pair of gold plated RCA sockets, which connect to your amplifier's (or powered speaker's) line inputs. A 3.5mm jack socket is also available for connecting headphones. The device can also drive high impedance headphones up to 600 ohms.
• Space Plus has two digital S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital InterFace) outputs: one optical TOSlink output, which is built in to the 3.5mm jack socket, and one RCA socket for connecting a coaxial cable. The status LEDs show the device's power status, activity (if an audio stream is being received) and DSD64, DSD128 and DXD (PCM) playback modes.
Space Plus with LEDs indicators.
Space Plus with 0.96" OLED display. More information in the update.
• Space Plus DAC supports high definition digital DXD (PCM) audio with a sample rate up to 384 kHz and a bit depth up to 32 bits, through asynchronous USB 2.0. This means that the DAC has its own clock source, and therefore it is not dependent on the (many times sloppy) USB timing. It's the best possible connection mode of a computer and a DAC. Other supported formats are: 32 / 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 / 352.8 / 384kHz at 16 / 24 / 32bits.
• The device also supports DSD (direct Stream Digital) audio which is getting quite a bit of attention today. The sampling rates start at an incredible 2,8224 MHz, which is 64 times more than a normal audio CD's 44.1 kHz. DSD debuted with the Super Audio CD (SACD) format and it's the best available digital format in the world.
• Direct DSD playback from a smartphone, in this case using the HibikiFree app.
• Space Plus supports DSD64 and DSD128 which has a double sampling rate of 5.6448 MHz. DSD based on a 1-bit system compared to the 16-24 or 32 bit formats of PCM. In the future we plan to implement support of DSD256 (11.2896 MHz) with a simple software upgrade.
• DSD can be played back via DoP v1.1 (DSD over PCM) or in native mode through the supplied ASIO driver.
• An interesting solution is to listen to your normal FLAC files in DSD64 or DSD128 mode. The resulting sound is much more pleasant to the ear.
Input FLAC files
• PCM playback via DSD output is supported via Audirvana Plus under OS X (macOS), or Foobar2000 under Windows.
• During the design process of Space Plus DAC we used the components of the highest possible quality to bring you state of the art specifications and sound as well. The used parts are the same as used in high-end equipemnt costing several times more, therefore the overall sound quality is the same as well.
What digital to analog converter chip is being used in the Space Plus?
• We use the ESS SABRE32 Reference 32-bit DAC made by ESS technology which is regarded as one of the best DACs in the world. This can be heard on the overall sound quality as well.
• The reference DAC SABRE9018Q2C which is used in the Space Plus is employed only in the highes quality audio devices. This DAC can convert digital singal to analog in a very precise way, giving you a very faithful reproduction of the recording.
• ESS SABRE9018Q2C specifications can be found here.
• The final version will have the RCA coax out (the red RCA socket on the right side) and the 3.5mm jack socket swapped, so you can better distinguish between the outputs.
• Of course we couldn't abandon the other components either, for example the XMOS (xCORE-AUDIO preocessor), which acts as a bridge between the USB interface and the DAC chip. The four layer printed circuit board plated with 24 carat gold and with separate ground plane ensures the lowest possible noise level and the highest signal integrity, which is extremely important for the good sound.
• We thought about the power supplies as well, like the super quiet 3.3V rail for the best stability and the lowest possible distortion of the built-in headphone amplifier, and the separate supplies for the DAC and the XMOS chip.
• A 3D visualization of the board
• Four layer, 70x61mm printed circuit board
• For quality reasons, we decided to go with three separate power supplies: 3,3V for the digital part, 1,0V for the XMOS Core and 3,3V for the analog part.
• Space Plus DAC was also developed for those, who like to listen to music via headphones, but aren't satisfied with the quality of the audio output of their player of choice (laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.). Also, you can connect high impedance headphone with up to 600 ohms impedance, which means that you don't need a separate headphone amplifier just to drive your headphones well enough. Space Plus is an ideal and affordable solution.
• Space Plus will delight you with high dynamic range and clarity unheard of in this price category before. Space Plus is the best way how to upgrade your computer or smartphone with support for high resolution audio formats. Of course, you can still play your current audio library contents through the device, like your MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV and DSF or DFF files. You can also use it with your favourite music streaming service.
• Don't hesitate and order the Space Plus Audiophile DAC during the campaign for the best price. And the best of all is the free postage world-wide.
• We bring you Space Plus for the most affordable price between the DSD converters on the market. The built in reference-class ESS SABRE DAC chip ensures the best possible audio quality with all music formats.
• If you are not happy with the quality of the Space Plus, you can return it within 30 days, and we will give you a full refund.
• The Space Plus DAC will bring you sound full of clarity and dynamics, which you will be enjoying for a long time for sure.
Thank you in advance for supporting us!
Kind regards, the Magic Pixel Team.
Risks and challenges
Although we have a few successful projects, from the design of the first prototype up to mass production, the possibility of an unforeseeable complication is always there. However during the years we learned to minimize these possibilities and deliver the product to our customers to their full satisfaction.
The prototypes we already have are fully functional. During the Kickstarter campaign we are going to finalize the hardware, software and design aspects of the product.
We hope our campaign will be successful and the product will satisfy our customers' needs in every way we can imagine.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)