The FireFly Light Board
The LED light board that gives artists what they’re looking for
When we set out to create the FireFly, all we were really looking to do was to create an alternative to the traditional light box that uses incandescent, or compact fluorescent bulbs to illuminate a drawing surface. Using LEDs let us create a slim, portable light board that uses less power, and doesn’t heat up like the more traditional light boxes (so I use this in my lap, while drawing on the couch!). Many other artists (friends, and strangers alike) have been requesting to get their hands on a FireFly, but we want to be able to produce this in the most cost effective way possible, so we don’t have to charge a ridiculous amount per unit. In order to do that, we need to have molds made, and all of the parts and production would need to be ordered in bulk (an initial run of at least 1000 units). This KickStarter campaign will allow us to keep the price competitive.
While we were in the process of designing the FireFly, we came across a similar product, so naturally we had to make sure to design ours to deliver exactly what other artists are looking for. We put a prototype together, and got it into the hands of other artists, and got a ton of feedback that helped us refine our product, and put the features that artists wanted to see. We really didn’t want to cut corners, and only deliver the bare minimum to compete, so we had to make sure its got features that set it apart, but still cost the same as the other LED light pads.
- The FireFly uses LEDs with a 6,500k daylight white color temperature, so it doesn’t have that yellow or bluish tint you see with most LED products, giving a nice clean glow and 50,000 hours of lifetime use.
- Diamond etching is used to distribute light better than other techniques (screen printing) seen in similar light pads, which allows us to use less LEDs and still deliver a brighter drawing surface.
- SLIM! The FireFly is only 10mm, so its thinner, and sleeker than other drawing pads. We wanted to make sure it fits in most backpacks or laptop bags, so this is an extremely portable LED artists’ light board.
- 10x13 illuminated drawing surface. We wanted to make sure we gave artists a generous drawing area, but still make it portable.
- Two brightness settings (high and low). One of the things artists seemed to ask for was the ability to switch to a lower power, dimmer glow while they’re using thinner materials that don’t require the full glow setting.
The FireFly Light Board is perfect for all creative types as well. Tattoo artists, photographers, illustrators, graphic artists, quilters and hobbyists alike!
Priced For Artists
As an artist, I was always saddened by the price of traditional light boxes. What I wanted to do with the FireFly was to allow friends, art studios, and small (or large) businesses to benefit from ordering in bulk for this funding campaign. We’re not asking for any specific qualifications, other than ordering 3+ light boards. That way, you can get together with other artists, hobbyists, and friends, and all just purchase a FireFly together with one of the bulk ordering Backer Reward tiers. Our goal is to not only give artists a great product, but also to fit into their budgets.
Rewards Beyond the Initial Funding
As an initial backer, everyone that pledges $100 or more will become members of a Founders Club and receive a lifetime 10% discount on ALL future FireFly Light Boards, and FireFly accessory purchases ordered directly from us once the product becomes available commercially. There will also be occasional special offers (bulk discount rates, additional sales) available only to Founders Club members. We want to thank everyone that joins in to help us succeed!
- (30 days)