Introducing KenzaPad: The Ultimate Today-To-Do Tool.
KenzaPad is a marvellously minimalist, enthusiastically analog accessory designed to link our best-laid digital plans with the current moment, delivering tech-free productivity and presence – in single-day increments.
KenzaPad’s innovative magnetic closure and distinctive card-based system provide dead-easy, single-motion access to today’s tasks-at-hand, enabling focused, efficient effort in a smartphone-slim profile.
With endless task, project, and life management apps, software, and systems, it’s too easy for all of us to lose our connection to the present moment. So let’s put down our phones, stow away our tablets, close our laptops and live life today – because today matters.
Reconnecting with today.
A little background about why I created KenzaPad…
After an exhilarating 20 years working in animation, digital media, tech, and consulting, I was hired into my most important and rewarding role yet – I became a new dad!
While I'd always been mildly obsessed with staying organized – using task, project, and life management apps, systems, and software – after my son was born, I realized how important it was to not just plan into the future, but to make today – and every day – count.
I was productive, but had I lost touch with the present?
Given that days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, and months turn into years…I knew my life would be the sum-total – a reflection – of how I spent each day.
The more I thought about it, the more I knew I had to do things differently. But there was one part of my personal workflow that I felt had always kept me grounded – my daily, pen and paper to-do list.
Designing the Today-To-Do.
The more I researched and studied and tested, the more I realized that treating my tasks and priorities for each day as unique and worthy of focus did have an impact.
By focusing more attention on these, I got more of my important goals done, pushed away clutter, and as a result, found myself more and more present throughout the day.
Distracted less by my phone, apps, and endless systems – I was able to be in the moment. Not doing more things – doing fewer things with more focus, more thought…more presence.
Marvellously minimalist. Enthusiastically analog.
KenzaPad is designed to link our best-laid digital plans with the current moment – without sacrificing our conscious style.
1. Quality Materials: Every KenzaPad is handmade from premium, Mohali, vegetable-tanned leather. We want you to be proud to carry it and to pull it out in a meeting or at dinner to jot a note or check off a completed item.
2. Minimal Design: Inspired by minimalist design, our aesthetic is professional and elegant. We are proud to be launching with three colours inspired by nature: Carbon, Maple, and Hazelnut.
3. Integrated Pen Access: An analog list organizer is of little use without a writing implement to record and modify your lists. A major pain point for traditional pen and paper solutions is having a pen available at a moment’s notice to keep your list updated and relevant. We solve this with an integrated pen pocket that keeps your pen with your KenzaPad at all times. To eliminate even more latent friction, we’ve put a pocket on both the left and right sides of the KenzaPad to cater to both right-handed and left-handed listers respectively.
4. Simplified Wallet Features: Most of us are looking to minimize the number of items we carry with us. To help with this, we’ve included two pockets on the back with capacity to hold up to 8 cards, and the second pen pocket can be used to carry other small items like a house key, or SD card. I typically carry a key and a few cards in mine: Driver’s License and Health Insurance Card, Debit Card, Credit Card, and Security Access Card.
Dead-easy, single-motion access.
A core element of the KenzaPad system is the use of KenzaCards to store your Today-To-Do list. KenzaPad is designed to hold a limited number of these cards using an innovative, magnetic closure system for quick, easy access that encourages focus and minimizes bulk.
Kenzapad has several advantages over traditional analog methods, whether loose, or bound:
1. Focus: KenzaPad is not designed to store reams of information. Your phone, tablet, laptop, and notebooks do a great job of this! What KenzaPad excels at is focusing your attention on the more immediate information you need access to in the here-and-now. While KenzaPad can hold a full week's worth of daily KenzaCards, I typically only carry 2-3 at a time—one card per day to capture only those items I truly hope to accomplish through the day, plus another 1-2 cards for ad-hoc notes I might record for transfer to a more permanent system at the end of the day.
2. Usability: A major goal in designing the KenzaPad was to eliminate the latent friction that prevents us from using common solutions for to-do list management. A desire for quick-draw access – without zippers, snaps, or elastics – led us to develop an innovative, magnetic closure system, embedded within a peg-and-hole mechanism, for securing the cards within KenzaPad. The result? Dead-easy, single-motion access to your lists, and instant close-motion – with a satisfying SNAP!☺
3. Flexibility: We’ve designed a variety of KenzaCard templates – from simple lined pages to square grid pages to checklists and more – and continue to develop new ones as we study the issue and gather feedback from our customers. The system lets you easily swap in the templates you find most useful for managing your own productivity. (If you prefer to create your own cards, standard A7 and 3 x 5 index cards can be used with a small DIY modification – see below!)
4. Durability: Cards are significantly more durable than paper. KenzaCards use a premium paper stock, featuring precision-cut, rounded corners, and pre-punched holes that lock securely into the KenzaPad to keep edges from fraying, dog-ears from forming, and important information from disappearing into the abyss. Cards and can easily be saved and archived for later reference.
5. Portability: KenzaPad is designed to be hyper-portable so it can be carried with you wherever you go. To be most useful, you must know that your KenzaPad is always at the ready whenever you need it. No wider or thicker than many smartphones, it fits easily in a small clutch, jacket pocket, or pants pocket without adding bulk.
So let’s put down our phones, stow away our tablets, close our laptops and live life today – because today matters.
Live life today.
About the team
KenzaPad is created by a team of analog-lovers who keep a Today-To-Do focus (but may still keep big picture plans on Trello boards! :)
Scott MacMillan, Founder
Scott is a designer, entrepreneur, and the founder of MacMillan Company Limited. Having spent 20+ years working in Media, Technology, and Strategy, Scott has now brought his experience together to start MacMillan Company, with a goal of developing and launching products that make people’s lives easier, more productive, and ultimately more fulfilling. Scott lives in Toronto, Canada with his wife, Alisia, and their busy little boy, Matthew.
Kenette Louis, Product Designer
Kenette Louis is a handbags and accessories designer with 14 years experience designing high-end accessories for the likes of Coach, MCM, Levi’s, Chrome, and Pottery Barn. Evident in his work, Kenette’s design sensibility can be described as “Architectural Lines meet Modern Elegance” and his use of subtle, but interesting shapes gives his designs unisex appeal. Kenette’s focus is on creating innovative designs that enhance people’s lives, which is exactly in keeping with the design objectives of MacMillan Company and KenzaPad.
Technical Specs - Product Dimensions
Risks and challenges
We’re happy to say that we’ve already manufactured a small initial batch of KenzaPads in each of the 3 colour variants to prove out the integrity and quality of our manufacturing and logistics. The result exceeded our expectations thanks to the collaborative effort of our manufacturing partner, who has offices in London, Milan, Stockholm, and Kolkata and has been producing quality leather goods for nearly 70 years. All this to say, we’re more than confident in our ability to produce the product and fulfill the rewards to all our backers.
For Early Bird rewards, we will ship inventory that is already on-hand from our initial production run, meaning that these can ship out asap after the campaign closes. In parallel, we will place an order for the quantities needed for non-Early Bird backers, which (based on the timelines for our test run) will take 4-6 weeks to be delivered to our office, and another week or two to pack and ship individually to backers. We’re very comfortable with these timelines, but should there be any delays for whatever reason, we will proactively communicate with backers to provide updates on delivery timing.
Some pledge levels include FREE worldwide shipping by surface mail. Shipping does not include any local import duties or taxes, if applicable, that may be levied in your particular country.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)