YES, you can still pledge until 7pm CST!
I am thrilled that so many of you are as excited about this album as I am. Thank you so much for helping this project to finish strong.
Below are our "stretch goals" - as of now, every backer will automatically gets ALL of the following checked Stretch Goals:
Hello! This is Lynn, singer/songwriter and improviser in Minneapolis.
I make music to empower the soul.
Over the years, I’ve performed thousands of concerts, recorded albums, traveled around the world, and worked as a music therapist in hospital settings. I’ve learned so much about how deeply music affects the human spirit. A few years ago, I quit my job and took the leap into being a full-time musician and entrepreneur. Through the ups and downs of this journey, I’ve written some of my best and strongest songs yet. I am thrilled to announce to my beloved long-time and brand new listeners: IT IS TIME FOR A NEW ALBUM!
These songs are about RISING into your power during times of change, facing the fear and doing it anyway, knowing that you have always been enough. As our world navigates some intense times, I believe we need these messages now more than ever. From folk lullabies to funky R&B grooves, this particular collection of songs feels important to capture and release this year.
These songs will be recorded, mixed, mastered and produced by the incredible Matt Patrick at The Library Recording Studio in Northeast Minneapolis. I've also lined up a crew of phenomenal musicians like Ian Crawford (guitar), Jeff Schraw (percussion) and The OK Factor (cello/violin) to name a few!
The icing on the cake will be a beautiful album cover created by my favorite local visual artist, Nell Pierce.
Want to Hear a Sneak Preview?
- $9200 - Minimum costs to record "RISING" album. DONE!!!
- $9500 - I will write and record a song of gratitude specifically for you backers and send you a digital mp3.
- $10,000 - This level will allow for studio time for a CHOIR of voices on the album. Seriously. This is a DREAM of mine, specifically for the title track, "RISING."
- $10,300 - I will send every backer a beautiful button that says "We are RISING."
- $10,600 - I will add a BRASS section to the album! This is going to deepen and groove-ify several songs; I've already got the arrangements in my head.
- $11,000 - I will host a FREE online concert (March 29th, 6-7pm CST!) where I'll take requests AND create live, interactive improvised music with your ideas. :) Click here to watch the concert online.
- $11,500 - “Behind the Scenes” Video Tour in Recording Studio!
- $12,000 - I will create a completely improvised song IN the studio and publish it on the album.
- $12,500 - Every backer will receive a digital copy of all lyrics and chords from this album's songs!
- $13,000 - I will create and share a song with EVERY backer's name in it!
- $13,600 - I will send you a digital copy of an original recording from my childhood :) I think you'll be surprised at what you hear.
- $14,200 - I will record and publish a YouTube music lesson, walking you through how to play a song from the new album!
- $15,000 - I will put out a poll, and YOU'LL vote on this reward! :D If you can believe it, I've got more ideas up my sleeve...
Got your own ideas? Inspired to sponsor something specific? Not into the Kickstarter platform and would prefer to support privately? Let me know. :)
- I invite you to support this album by pre-ordering your copy now, AND backing ANY other rewards that speak to you (check them out on the right)! In addition to many creative, experiential offerings, I've designed 2 beautiful, locally-made products:
Thanks to your help, I'll be able to not only record and produce this album, but I'll also be able to hire a PR company Tinderbox Music to help these songs make the biggest impact possible!
If (WHEN!) we reach this goal, here's how the $$$ will break down:
"Lynn O'Brien is a mainstay of the Minneapolis music scene, and beloved by many in the Twin Cities. Her tag line is 'music to empower the soul,' but her work wouldn't be possible without the community's support and empowerment of her music." -Aural Premonition Blog
We have until March 29 to make it happen together - all or nothing. Will you join me? Let's do this!
To celebrate our victory, I'm hosting a free concert online during the final hour of the Kickstarter. You can stream it online here. :)
Risks and challenges
I know the recording and production process well; this will be my 4th full-length original album, and one of 50+ recording projects in my career.
Crowd-funding is new to me, so I've been working closely with Angela Webber, Kickstarter Coach for several months to make sure we do this thing right. As a full-time artist, this project and delivery of rewards (and an embarrassing number of spreadsheets) will be my focus all year long.
I do not foresee any delays or issues with the process, and will keep you posted every step of the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)