About this project
Update 1: Platforms and Pixels
Update 2: Stretch Goals, Round 1
Update 3: PlayStation Info and Shout-Outs
Update 4: Funded! (and a new Backer Tier, too!)
Update 8: Final Week: Livestreams and More!
Update 10: Nintendo 3DS Unlocked and New Stretch Goals!
Update 11: Reddit AMA is happening now!
Update 12: The Final 24 Hours!
Timespinner is a 2D Metroidvania Platformer for PC, Mac OS X, and Linux. At its heart, the game is a child of the great pixelated classics of the SNES and PS1 age. From the rich story worlds of Star Ocean, the expansive gothic castle exploration in Castlevania, and the tight gameplay of Megaman X, Timespinner seeks to weave all of these elements into one amazing game.
The story of Timespinner follows Lunais, a young woman with the power to control time, who seeks revenge on a technologically advanced empire for killing her family. As you play the game, you will:
- Stop time to evade foes, use them as platforms, and solve puzzles.
- Explore a large connected world with areas such as a medieval castle, a petrified forest, a bustling metropolis, and a space-age laboratory.
- Clobber enemies with Magic Orbs found throughout the world. Every Orb has both a unique melee and ranged-spell attack that grow in power the more you use them.
- Travel through time to different eras across the planet's tumultuous history and reach areas inaccessible in other time periods.
- Upgrade abilities and purchase new ones with Entropy Gems obtained from fallen foes and secret chests.
- Discover hidden areas and treasure through breakable walls and platforming puzzles
Fight intense boss
battles with heavy emphasis on
skill, timing, and dodging.
- Adventure alongside companion Familiars such as Meyef, the dream dragon, and more!
The story begins on Lunais' birthday. 20 years ago she was born on the pastoral planet of Winderia to a small clan of mountain villagers. She has always been treasured by the clan, both for her striking blue hair and her unique Aura abilities which allow her to harness Magic Orbs through telekinesis.
During the evening celebrations, dark spacecrafts from the distant planet of Lachiem appear in the sky. Soldiers descend upon the village, massacring everyone they find. Lunais and her mother, Selen, flee to an ancient temple deep in the forest near their home. Inside, they activate the Timespinner, an ancient artifact that spins the fabric of space into the threads of time. The device is capable of opening a portal to another time and place, and is only used by the village elders in times of dire need.
As Selen begins to weave a portal to the past, the invading soldiers barge into the chamber and kill her. In the confusion, the Timespinner is damaged and shatters into pieces. The unstable portal collapses and sucks Lunais into it, sending her to a foreign world.
Fueled by a blinding rage, Lunais vows revenge on her family's killers: the entire empire of Lachiem.
As she carries out her revenge, Lunais travels from the desolate outskirts of Lachiem civilization to the heart of its thriving empire. During her adventure she obtains pieces of the shattered Timespinner which allow her to control time and phase to different time periods in the planet's bloody history. In doing so, Lunais assassinates historically significant figures, weakening the power of the empire in present day. Throughout the game, one woman methodically takes down an entire empire.
The setting of the game takes place in the galaxy of Erneah— a galaxy with a rich interplanetary story that has been in development over the past 18 years by me (Bodie Lee!) and my childhood friend, Paul Sehmel. Erneah's history spans many habitable planets with varying levels of civilization and technological advancement, from the medieval ages to high-tech space travel. The plot of Timespinner is a small, but important, side-story in a much bigger universe.
The first incarnation of Timespinner was a final project that I made for a university game-programming class. In a competition against all other students' projects, it won 1st place. After graduating, I decided to make Timespinner into a full-fledged indie-game.
For the next 5 years, I developed the game during my nights and weekends while working full-time in the game industry. During this time I built the basic game engine and created mock-ups of all of the major game areas, characters, and bosses.
At the start of this year, I left my comfy industry job in order to work full-time on the game. While polishing Timespinner for this Kickstarter campaign, I've also managed to finish the game engine, make a solid vertical slice of the game, and write a totally sweet custom World Editor to help speed up content development time.
Now all that needs to be done in order to finish Timespinner is for me and the team to buckle down and add tons of awesome game content!
Bodie Lee - Pixel Artist / Programmer / Designer - @LunarRayGames
I'm the founder of Lunar Ray Games and am in charge of everything non-audio related for Timespinner. I have a BS and MS in Computer Science from WWU, countless years of hobby pixel-art experience, and have spent the last 5 years working for the game industry giants Microsoft and Bungie. I recently left my job to go full-time making Timespinner!
Jeff is the man responsible for making Timespinner's music old-school, gothic, and amazingly beautiful! He has composed music for "Tiny Barbarian DX", "Monkey Island 2: Special Edition", "Wing Commander Saga", and contributed his violin mastery to triple-A titles such as "Mass Effect 3", "Gears of War 3", "League of Legends", and others.
The talented Power Up Audio team will be meticulously crafting Timespinner's SFX and making sure that they achieve that flawless 16/32-bit touch. They have done audio for big indie titles such as "TowerFall Ascension", "Crypt of the NecroDancer", "Darkest Dungeon", "Wanderlust Adventures" and many more!
Elspeth, a composer, voice actress, singer, and wizard, will be lending her vocal talents to the team. In Timespinner, she will be the voice of Lunais, and is thus responsible for the spellbinding narrative performance in the above Kickstarter video. Amazing! In the past, she has lent her skills to games such as "Crypt of the NecroDancer", "Guns of Icarus Online", "Killer Instinct" and more!
Note: All tiers include rewards from previous/lower tiers
$10/15 - The Game ♦ Backer-Exclusive Familiar Skin ♦ Name in the Credits ♦ PDF Manual
All Backers will receive the following:
- A DRM-free digital copy of the game and a steam key, set to be released in November of 2015, on one of the PC release platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux).
- A Backer-Exclusive alternate skin for Meyef, the primary Familiar in the game.
- Your name in the credits of the game!
- A digital PDF copy of the game's instruction manual.
$25 - Digital Original Soundtrack ♦ Backer-Exclusive Umbra Orb Weapon ♦ Steam Early Access ♦ Development Forum Access
Backers at this tier will receive:
- A digital copy of the game's full OST, composed by the handsomely talented Jeff Ball.
- A Backer-Exclusive in-game weapon, the Umbra Orb, for Lunais. This shadow Orb will have a unique close-ranged melee attack in addition to a long-ranged spell attack.
- Early access to the game before it is officially released, through Steam's Early Access program (assuming that the game is Greenlit).
- Private access to the development forum. This will be a great place to watch and help the game's progress, as we'll be posting game content and asking your feedback for ways to make the game better!
$40 - Beta Access ♦ Crow Familiar ♦ Extra Game Copy
Backers at this tier will get:
- Access to the game's Beta build, which will be released before Steam Early Access and a couple months before the release of the final game. See the game in its near finished state, break it, and give feedback to make it even better!
- The "Merchant Crow" Familiar, with a Backer-Exclusive skin, to help you out at the start of the game. This Familiar will normally only be available towards the end of the game.
- An extra PC copy of the game for a friend (or perhaps an additional platform if you'd rather not share ;D). Extra platforms include Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux (not PlayStation or 3DS).
$60 - Physical Game Copy ♦ Physical Manual
This tier will net you an optionally signed physical copy of the game in the style of good ol' PS1 games (clear CD jewel case, instruction manual, and game disc with a PC version on it). Feel the nostalgia!
$100 - Backer-Exclusive T-Shirt ♦ Character Sticker Set
Backers at this tier will receive:
- A Backer-Exclusive polyester-cotton blend black T-Shirt from CustomInk.com. Sizes: YXS-4XL.
- A set of stickers of major characters and enemies from the game.
$150 - Alpha Access ♦ Perler® Bead Art ♦ Special Mention in Credits
This tier grants:
- Access to the game's multiple Alpha builds. Play the game before it's polished! Experience hilarious game breaking bugs! Tell us what desperately needs to be changed before it's too late to fix!
- Hand-made Perler® bead art of either Lunais or Meyef (your choice). Pieces are 6.5'' and 4'' tall, respectively.
- Your name will be specially mentioned in the game's credits for your exemplary help with the Alpha builds.
$250 - Pixel Portrait
At this tier, we'll pixelize your face (or somebody else's). You'll send us a photo and we'll pixelate the person/pet/character it contains. After sending you the finished piece (which can used as a forum avatar, framed on the wall, given as a present, etc), we'll use it in-game*. Possible placements include: monitor screens, posters, or even haunted paintings! Instant pseudo-fame!
*Within reason, i.e. no copyrighted or inappropriate content will make it in-game
$250 - Pixel Bust Sculpture (UNIQUE)
Same as the Pixel Portrait tier, but your likeness will be used to sculpt a statue bust instead of a portrait. Please note that this is a unique tier and is thus NOT included in higher tiers.
$500 - Design an Enemy
Back at this tier and you'll be able to design your very own in-game enemy! Will you make a rare egg monster that gives tons of money on death, but runs away when found? Or perhaps you'll create a 6-armed man-beast with an adorable fox head? Whatever you choose, you'll work with the team to make your monster idea a reality in the game. You'll also be named in the credits as an Enemy Designer. All design rewards are subject to creative oversight from the team.
$1000 - Design an Orb Weapon
Backing at $1000 will allow you to become a Weapon Designer for the game (including being named as such in the game's credits). Work with us to create a unique Magic Orb that Lunais will use to destroy her foes! This includes designing its visual idle state, its particle effects, its close-range attack, and its long-ranged spell attack. All design rewards are subject to creative oversight from the team.
$2500 - Design a Boss
This ultimate tier gives you the power to design an entire boss battle! Whether you crave to make an epic sea cucumber fight or even a too-big-to-fit-on-one-screen conglomerate of evil nano-bots, this tier will sate your hunger! You'll work with the team to get your idea into the game, where it will be found in a hidden area. You'll also be honored in the game's credits as an Epic Boss Designer. All design rewards are subject to creative oversight from the team.
Unfortunately, all work on the game is currently being run from my personal savings and, without the help of Kickstarter, there won't be enough funds to finish the game! This would force me to go back to working full-time elsewhere and cause Timespinner to be delayed for a long time. Sadness all around!
That's why I need your help! If funded, I could afford:
- Living costs! Housing, food, and delicious coffee!
- Pay Jeff Ball to compose beautiful music for the game!
- Pay Power Up Audio to construct awesome retro sound effects!
- Pay for boring legal and business fees.
- Hire contract pixel-artists to speed up development time!
Together, we can make Timespinner a reality!
Thank you for reading! Follow our progress at the following sites:
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk in game development is the unknown. Is the game's development going to take longer than expected? Will we run out of money before we finish the game? Will one of us spontaneously-human-combust? Who knows?
What I do know is that I will always communicate any unexpected issues with you, the backers. I have meticulously planned out what is left to do in the game, generously estimated how long these things will take, and how much they will cost to achieve. If it looks like my estimates are going to be off, then you will be the first to know and we will do our best to overcome these issues together!
There is no doubt that I will someday release Timespinner, but with your help, I will be able to bring more talented people on board to make the game as amazing as possible, as soon as possible!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Unfortunately, the physical copy of the game will be PC only. Console copies of the game will be digital only.
If we reach the $115,000 Stretch Goal, Timespinner will be ported to the Nintendo 3DS. Once the goal is reached, you will be able to get an additional copy of the game for the 3DS by simply doing a $5 Add-On!
We are currently looking into the feasibility of porting to these platforms.
We do not currently have plans to port the game to Android or iOS.
We will not be pursuing PayPal pledges during the Kickstarter.
Unfortunately, the only way to get a 3DS or PlayStation 4 + Vita CrossBuy key is to do a $5 Add-On. Please see Update #3 for more info!
Yes! All Windows / Mac OS X / Linux keys include both a DRM-Free copy of the game plus a Steam key.
After the Kickstarter ends, we will send out a link to your personalized BackerKit Survey. This will let you specify which Add-Ons that you want.
Support this project
- (30 days)