There hasn’t been any major changes in snowboarding in over 40 years—it’s high time for an evolution.
LUMBOS™ mechanism is a new type of snowboarding accessory that mounts between your board and your bindings, allowing your feet to shift independently for a more free and comfortable experience.
- LUMBOS™ technology allows you to shift positions at any given moment while standing or riding.
- Experience any combination of stances in one single run down the slopes.
- No more twisting and bending your knees in awkward positions while sitting on the lift or waiting in lift lines.
- LUMBOS™ devices install easily to on ANY kind of sports board—snowboard, kiteboard, wakeboard— in just a few simple, one-time steps, within minutes.
Finally, the long sought characteristic to snowboard equipment is at hand and under foot, one that will forever change the world of snowboarding as we know it— LUMBOS™ innovation.
Stable and Reliable -- People's number one concern when they hear about the LUMBOS™ device is that their feet will move out from underneath them, but nothing could be further from the truth. It seems counter-intuitive, but by having two feet that can turn independently, a rider is able to move more naturally and feels one with their board. When riders exert a load bearing force on one foot, the un-weighted foot is free to follow through and translate a rider’s intentions into more fluid swishing or swaying motions on slopes. Meanwhile, the weighted foot finds the most stable attack angle, keeping the other foot in check.
Fluidity of Motion -- Riders can make quicker, smaller, and tighter turn radiuses, because as one’s load bearing force is focused on the lead foot, the snowboard itself is able turn simultaneously under the un-weighted rear foot, much like surfing and skateboarding.
Board Flex -- Although approximately the same thickness as a pencil, flex or torsion is minimally impaired. The turning turret is slightly raised above the board’s surface, not only to prevent marring, but to reduce impacting torsional flexibility.
AN ENTIRELY NEW WAY OF BOARDING
THE FUN STUFF —
- Now, you can have unparalleled freedom of movement, providing you with ability to make split-second adjustments/decisions.
- Simply shifting your weight around and changing foot angles accordingly, you will be able to use any combination of positions/stances in a single run. Rethink all of the assumptions that you have made about how you perform tricks on your board—this is more like surfing or skateboarding, yet unprecedented. Maybe even with the potential to perform a 360˚ table top or ‘tray’!
THE COMFORT —
- Never again will you need to face the dreaded snowboarder’s shuffle in the lift line, twisting your body uncomfortably and putting strain on the knees. By disconnecting one boot or the other from the binding, you can scoot along (so to speak), making it especially useful on flat terrain, or when going up hill for that matter.
- And when it’s time for a break, you can take a seat in the snow and choose to angle your foot and board in any direction that you want, so that you can relax, free from any excessive torquing of your knee.
THE USEFULNESS —
- LUMBOS™ accessories are designed to be compatible with virtually ANY similar equipment used in water, from kite surfing to wake boarding, and from skerfing to wind surfing, ALL using the same pair of mountings.
- Built to last a lifetime, one size fits all, meaning, a person can use the same pair as a junior rider and then keep on using them well into adulthood.
- Parts are made from stainless steel, with an ultra low-friction coating. LUMBOS™ mechanism will never gum up, stick, or catch fire.
- Final product weight is expected to be about 1.5 lbs per unit, making them just around 3 lbs. for the pair.
- So easy to install a child can in minutes with nothing more than a Philips screwdriver.
- Universal compatibility with ALL major brands of boots, boards, and bindings used in snow and water sports boarding industry. You do NOT have to buy or replace any of your existing gear in order to use LUMBOS™ inserts.
- One size fits all, meaning, a person can buy a pair when they are a junior rider and then keep on using it for life. Plus, it is completely reversible.
- LUMBOS™ devices won't damage or permanently alter your board in any way.
- LUMBOS™ mechanism is indeed an innovative device. Nothing exists like it out there in the market, with patents pending.
Please check out our FAQ at the bottom of this page for more information. If you don’t see the answer you are looking for, please write us, we’d love to hear from you!
$30 — Party Invite
You were invited to attend one of our try-out/testing parties at a resort. This snowboard season, you could've had a blast drinking beer, eating some food with us, and hanging with others who were trying LUMBOS™ technology for the first time. Demo calendar in the planning. (See below on the $210 backer level for the possible resorts.)
$75 — Try Us Out
You were invited to attend one of our try-out/testing parties at a resort where you would've gotten a few runs to try out LUMBOS™ devices this winter season. (Lift ticket not included.) When done with your runs, you could've had a blast drinking beer, eating some food with us, and hanging with others who were trying LUMBOS™ innovation for the first time. Demo calendar in the planning. (See below on the $210 backer level for the possible resorts.)
$210 — Pair of LUMBOS™ inserts plus Demo Runs
You would've received a set of LUMBOS™ accessories for the April shipment, but you also would've received a party invite to attend one of our try-out/testing parties at a resort this winter season. At the party, you would've gotten a few runs to try out LUMBOS™ mechanism early. (Lift ticket not included.) When done with your runs, you would've had a blast drinking beer, eating some food with us, and hanging with others who were trying LUMBOS™ technology for the first time.
Demo calendar in the making, but here was our list of potential resorts:
- Arapahoe Basin
- Mt. Hood
- Heavenly Valley
- Squaw Valley
- Alpine Meadows
- Bear Valley
- Dodge Ridge
- Sierra at Tahoe
- Whistler Blackbomb
- Mt. Rose
$8,200 — All-inclusive Adventure to the Austrian Alps....
We wanted to hang out with the people who could've made this project possible!
Joining the entire team of LUMBOS™ embodiment for 7 days of snowboarding in the Austrian Alps. We would've been very interested to hear feedback about LUMBOS™ mechanism in person and perhaps have even seen a sneak peek at some exciting new designs. We would've even covered your cost of airfare and accommodations to join us! (This may still take place in February or March of 2015.) You would've also received a pair of signed & numbered LUMBOS™ inserts from our very first production in January.
Our adventure will be to Ischgl, Austria— the venue of the first official Snowboard Championships and the Snowboard Masters & World Series events. This picturesque place lies between 6,000 to 8,616 feet in altitude; the highest ski resort on the other side of a very old Austrian village. There are at least 42 lifts plus gondolas to connect YOU, accessing o ver 200 km. of prepared trails.
There are free shuttles to other slopes included with a lift pass. And when you are not snowboarding, there’s also ice skating, Bavarian style curling, cross country skiing amongst others (accompanied or not by massage), yodeling, BEER, riding stables, outdoor adventure pool, clubs, pubs, discos, tennis, & co-ed saunas, night sledding, amateur races, & perhaps even a gnome in an edelweiss patch.
If you wanted to bring a friend on this journey, no problem, you could've just doubled your pledge at this backer level, and they would've also gotten all the perks and privileges of this all inclusive snowboarding trip to the Tyrolean Alps.
Alas, thank you all for taking such precious time to consider what was being offered, but rest assured, you haven't seen the last of us, by a long shot, and won’t be disappointed!
Strategic planning, management, and expert advice for this Kickstarter was given by GOAL VAULTING. A Kickstarter consultancy group. Goalvaulting.com
Risks and challenges
After several generations of progressively refined prototypes over the past year, the final design is locked down and in fabrication mode. With hardware/material sources established, including alternate resources just in case, we are prepared to ensure riders are sent their due reward in a timely fashion.
We had made every effort to make it so there is was little risk as possible when if you backed LUMBOS™ technology. We’re working with manufacturers who have a long history of success and we will regularly have design reviews with them to ensure that the product is up to our expectation of quality control. Of course, delays can happen in production, and we are willing to delay if it is the right thing to do to ensure a better product. That being said, we don’t anticipate delays or major problems. We’re confident in our process, and we see this is a low-risk project for you to back.
Arguably the hardest part about giving birth to a concept is asking for a strangers help. Of course any movement is difficult and not without risk, allowing another to partake in the breaching process after nurturing the seed for so long is a sensitive process to say the least… But as we all know, it takes a community to raise an entity, and so, humbly asked for a modest monetary amount of backing as a Kickstarter to our endeavor. Thank you.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)