Trouble with Monkeys! #math concept (place value) kids book
A math story showing ones thru millions! Educational, super fun, shows logical progression for number sense and size. Kids 4-7 love it!
Remember the place value charts when you were a kid?...
What if we showed place value with a fun story instead?
I’m Lucy Ravitch and I want to give you a fun way to show your kids or students the mathematical place value system that shows it in a logical way.
Trouble with Monkeys: A math concept story of place value ones through millions is a picture book written by me, Lucy Ravitch and will be illustrated by the talented Travis Hanson!
I’ve had the manuscript for a number of years and 4 years ago I made a printable version which I sell online. The illustrations are nice, but...
for the traditionally published version I want to hire Travis to bring the story to life. So far Travis has made one sample spread for the book, but in order to turn this into a finished project we need you!
I'm calling all parents, teachers, and math enthusiasts! Please share this campaign with specific people you think would find the book helpful. Together we can do this and make children all around the world more fully understand this math concept.
Tell me about the story...
Trouble with Monkeys is a story of a boy. He wants to surprise his dad and pack a shipment of oranges at his dad’s packing house, but when he arrives monkeys are destroying all the equipment. The boy is interviewed by the local news and characters come from all over-- we’re talking pirates, ballerinas, ninjas, and more.
They help pack the oranges from single ones into bags of ten, then into boxes of a hundred which are loaded onto pallets of a thousand, get put onto trucks of 10,0000, then onto trains that hold 100,000, and loaded onto a cargo ship that holds one million oranges. All the while, the meddlesome monkeys keep getting in the way.
It’s one boy’s story that shows teamwork and kindheartedness; as well as perspective of size and quantity for number sense.
Please support and share this campaign with as many friends, parents, teachers, and math supporters as you know. That way we can have this awesome book for kids to enjoy!
A little about me... I wear a lot of hats!
- I'm a wife and mother of five. I do love my family and they come first!
- I'm also a blogger. Kidsmathteacher.com is an educational math blog at which focuses on elementary math and hands-on activities.
- I have a YouTube channel-- this is a recent addition. I decided it would be fun to turn some of my math activity ideas into short hands-on math videos for parents and kids to enjoy. You can check it out and subscribe at youtube.com/kidsmathteacher
- I am an author! I love writing and creating fun books for kids, especially when they can incorporate a math concept or have kids playing with math. My first published book I also ran a Kickstarter for. It’s The Pancake Menu-- an interactive book that has kids practice math skills while they play restaurant, plus there are even real recipes! You can check it out at Kidsmenubooks.com. It won an Independent publishers award and I got to take it onto Good Morning America on a shark tank segment! That was exciting.
- Lastly, I run my publishing business. My company Enjoy Learning Something is the publisher of The Pancake Menu and will be for Trouble with Monkeys. Our mission is to publish educationally fun children’s books that focus on STEAM concepts through stories or hands-on activities. We want kids to enjoy learning!
Thanks for helping to spread the word! Let’s make Trouble with Monkeys go from a printable version into an awesome 32 page full-color published book with the talented Travis Hanson as illustrator!
$12,000 is a lot, how will it be spent?
Simple... $7,000 to Travis, $5,000 for 1,000 copies (the minimum order), and I'll chip in for e-book production, shipping charges, and KS fees (but it would be great to surpass our goal so that gets covered).
Risks and challenges
Having completed one previous Kickstarter for The Pancake Menu interactive book I am ready to tackle another one! This one will require me to stretch because of having a bigger goal, but I'm sure fulfillment and getting the book ready will go smoothly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)