This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sun, January 6 2019 9:49 AM UTC +00:00.
What is Low Fantasy Gaming?
Low Fantasy Gaming is a tabletop RPG built for gritty adventures in low or moderate magic settings. It has simple rules, dangerous combat, flexible PC customisation, and mysterious, unpredictable magic. Designed for short, episodic adventures in sandbox worlds, LFG provides the mechanics and tables needed for easy GM improvisation. It’s a heady mix of the best old school, modern, and new game design, wrapped around a familiar d20 core.
- 9 Classes: Artificer, Barbarian, Bard, Cultist, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Rogue & Magic User; only two of which involve magic.
- 12th Level Max eliminates the most powerful spells, and keeps the mightiest monsters scary.
Unique Features: every 3rd level design your own PC ability in conjunction with your GM. Don't want to make your own? Choose from 36 examples instead.
- Roll Equal or Under for attribute checks (inc degrees of success), making every stat point matter.
Skills provide access to a level based Reroll Pool, smoothing the fickleness of d20 probability distribution.
Willpower & Perception attributes replace Wisdom.
- Luck attribute replaces saving throws and powers some Martial Exploits.
- Minor, Major & Rescue Exploits on top of damage, not in lieu, promote improvised stunts and moments of greatness.
Dangerous Combat: Dropping to zero hp requires a roll on the Injuries & Setbacks table and healing is delayed by 1d3 minutes (magical or otherwise). Players don't roll to find out if their PC is All Dead or Mostly Dead until the battle ends and someone checks the body.
Party Retreat & Chase rules allow the GM to throw whatever makes sense at the party, unshackling them from balanced encounters and quarantined zones.
5 minute Short Rests allow PCs to attempt Willpower checks to recover hit points and class abilities, encouraging the party to push on rather than camp.
- Long Rests take 1d6 days (or 1d4 in a safe, comfortable environment), mitigating the nova, rest, repeat problem for adventures with long periods between battles (eg: wilderness treks).
Dark & Dangerous Magic tests and Divine Rebuke tests make all spell casting inherently uncertain. No at-will, teleport, mind reading or resurrection magic. Magic Users are less reliant on spells, proficient in one handed weapons and light armour.
Evocative Spells: Spells have been tweaked and renamed, eg: Silent Image, Invisibility, Magic Missile and Hold Monster are instead Shadows & Dust, A Wisp Unseen, Lash of Unerring Pain and Crush of the Warp.
- Rare Magic Items, with obvious and discreet attunements, that unlock as their owners level up.
- GM Tables for Weather, Exploration Events, Random Encounters, Traps, Treasure, Disease, Madness, Tavern Brawls, Hirelings, Mass Battle, Naval Combat, NPC Quirks, Rival Adventurers, Blackpowder, and more.
- 130+ Monsters including effective Boss Monster options (eg: Off Turn Attacks match the party's action economy, and Stronger Luck grants saves even when a save is not normally permitted), plus Custom Monsters guide.
- Online Play Support: an LFG character sheet is available for online play via Roll20, and we're exploring options for Fantasy Grounds.
- Open Game Content: 99% of LFG text is "Open Game Content" under the Open Game Licence. Want to make your own adventures or expansions for LFG and sell them? Go right ahead!
Rules as Guidelines. The GM is the final authority on all LFG rules, which are expected to be tweaked to fit table preferences.
But don't take our word for it. Here's some quotes from reviews of original Low Fantasy Gaming:
- "Low-Fantasy Gaming is the perfect blend of OSR gaming and 5th Edition mechanics. It's not afraid to draw from multiple sources to create something that's truly unique, infinitely playable, and easy to pick up and run." - James Spahn, Halfling's Luck. http://halflingsluck.blogspot.com/2017/09/low-fantasy-high-quality.html
- "The magic system in LFG is another aspect of the game that sets its apart from the competition... The longer I read LFG the more it reminds me of something like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay but with D&D-style rules." - Michael Wolf, Stargazer's World. https://stargazersworld.com/2017/02/02/a-look-at-low-fantasy-gaming/
- "Combat is straightforward, with some free-form "martial exploits" (stunts) that allow for more creative combat. There are plenty of rules for permanent injuries and some clever tricks for making combat deadlier (such as characters with 0 HP being harder to heal, which avoids one of 5e's problems)... LFG is not only amazing for a free game, it is an amazing game overall." - Eric Diaz, Methods & Madness. http://methodsetmadness.blogspot.com/2016/11/review-low-fantasy-gaming.html
Prefer video reviews?
- “For those of you that really love low fantasy games, I highly suggest that you take a look at Low Fantasy Gaming. I guarantee you won't be disappointed...” - Niklas Skinner, 5 Minute Reviews, Skinner Games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjLKINBSEo
“Low Fantasy Gaming in my opinion does what it sets out to do, and does it rather well at that… It’s a little bit more complex than a lot of the light stuff I’ve seen before, but it uses that slight bump up in detail to very good effect.”
- RPG Crawler, RPG Crawler Reviews. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdO-xyHU-o
Curious for more? Download original LFG right now for free: https://lowfantasygaming.com/comments/
Why a Deluxe Edition?
A lot has happened since LFG's release in 2016. Four new classes. GM Toolkits for Traps, Hirelings, Blackpowder, Naval Combat, and Mass Battle. Two years of play experience and invaluable community feedback. Low Fantasy Gaming Deluxe Edition consolidates all this and more into one mighty tome, in Full Colour or B&W Line Art (your choice). As you might expect, we've taken the opportunity to tweak or clarify a handful of rules, yet remain fully compatible with original LFG material (excluding page number references).
Deluxe Edition will be delivered via DriveThruRPG in PDF (Full Colour and B&W Line Art versions) and Hardcover (11 inches tall x 8.5 inches wide, approx 280 pages).
Backers at Pledge AUD 20 and above automatically receive both PDF versions, including draft files (complete text, incomplete art) as soon as the Kickstarter ends and the funds clear (approx 2-3 weeks). In addition, Backers may choose to add Hardcover "print at cost" codes, the Midlands PDF, and/or a bundle of 26 PDF Adventures (Midlands and Adventure PDFs will be sent out with the draft Deluxe PDF).
Who are the illustrators this kickstarter is paying for? None other than RPG luminaries Daniel Comerci, Dean Spencer and Matt Forsyth! Feast your eyes on some examples of their work below:
Adventures & Resources
Low Fantasy Gaming has a growing range of GM resources available via the LFG site, Patreon, DTRPG and Lulu, including fifty adventures (a new scenario released each month) and the highly acclaimed Midlands Low Magic Sandbox Setting. For 2019, plans are afoot with respect to a new GM screen, Downtime Toolkit, Midlands Hex Map and Expanded Bestiary, plus Rituals of Low Fantasy http://www.kjd-imc.org/blog/rituals-of-low-fantasy/ and Patrons of Low Fantasy http://www.kjd-imc.org/blog/patrons-of-low-fantasy/ by Keith Davies of Echelon Game Design.
And to celebrate this launch, we've released three starter adventures for free: (a) #13 Gift of the Silent God, (b) #25 Revelry in Northgate, and (c) #40 Call of the Colossus (the latter being a "Zero Level Ordeal") https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/10564/Pickpocket-Press
But we're just getting started. Slap your peepers on LFG's excellent community content, plus illustrated character sheets, 1st level pregens, GM screen inserts, high res colour Midlands map, and six B&W city maps - all free at the LFG site: https://lowfantasygaming.com/comments/
Want to use other system's adventures or settings with LFG? It couldn't be easier: swap out monsters and traps for LFG equivalents and you're good to go. For level based games, adventures of 12th level or below work best. For high magic worlds with predictable spell casting, remove or tone down Dark & Dangerous Magic checks.
No Stretch Goals?
As this is our first Kickstarter, to avoid overextending and ensure all books are produced on time, we are not offering any stretch goals. Rest assured however that any excess funding will go straight into our pock... towaaards additional custom art to make Deluxe Edition the shiniest, most fancy pants RPG book you've ever owned! Or maybe give us a leg up on a new GM screen, or swish Midlands hex map. Life goals huh?
Low Fantasy Gaming https://lowfantasygaming.com/
LFG Facebook https://www.facebook.com/lowfantasygaming/
LFG Googleplus https://plus.google.com/communities/110093145029113443506
Risks and challenges
Risks to you? None. Unless I die, and to quote Senor Chang: I am a man that can never die. Seriously the book is already written, layout is done. Most of the art is done. All that remains is for us to pay our illustrious illustrators, check the proofs, and boom: it's game time. We've produced two print on demand books before (2016 original LFG, and 2017 Midlands), so we're familiar with the pitfalls, and allowed for a huge six month buffer to ensure everything comes together by 30 June 2019 at the latest.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!