In the event we meet our goal, Kickstarter asks that we come up with some stretch goals of what we could accomplish with additional funds. Even better EVERYONE gets additional rewards if one or both of these levels are reached.
$25,000 - EVERYONE gets a Special Edition LBBC Founder Sticker
Where the Funds Will Go: A higher level of funding will allow us to add a Brite Tank to our system. A Brite Tank (or bright tank) is a vessel in which beer is placed after primary fermentation and filtering, allowing it to further mature, clarify and carbonate, as well as be stored for kegging, bottling, canning and packaging.
$30,000 - EVERYONE gets a Special Edition LBBC Founder Pint Glass
Where the Funds Will Go: Fermentors, Fermentors, Fermentors - Fermentation in brewing is the conversion of carbohydrates to alcohols and carbon dioxide or organic acids using yeasts, or a combination thereof, under anaerobic conditions. In basic terms it is the chemical conversion of sugars into ethanol. It is also the part of the brewing process that takes the longest (measured in weeks) and the most physical space. Hence the more fermentors we have the more beer we can make!
We are The Lost Borough Brewing Company, a startup microbrewery located in Rochester, NY. Creativity is what drives us, and our mission is to create exceptional craft beers for a growing community of people who share that constant sense of curiosity.
Since founding the company we have hosted community tasting events, tested and perfected our recipes, signed a lease on our location, and laid the necessary groundwork to get the business operational. Our final step is to upgrade to a larger, more sustainable brewing system prior to opening this summer. To achieve that, we need your help!
How Kickstarter Works
To accomplish this, we’re seeking to raise $20,000 or more within a 30-day time period. We would be incredibly grateful for any amount contributed toward funding our project, and we’ve created a large amount of handcrafted rewards (explained below) to thank our backers based on their level of support. If you can help us fund our project in time, we receive the funding. If we don’t meet our goal, you as a supporter are not charged a penny. If our project is successfully funded, we will be able to upgrade our brewing system to meet increasing demand, so the success of this campaign would be the difference between a walk and an all-out sprint. We can’t do this without you!
This Kickstarter campaign is a catalyst for future development. By funding our project, you will be setting us well on our way towards building a unique facility for us to brew - and for you to enjoy - excellent beer.
The funds we receive from our Kickstarter will go towards purchasing a larger 3 barrel electric brewing system capable of producing 100 gallons in a single batch. Rather then purchasing a costly pre-built brewing system we will be custom building ours from the ground up. Your money will go towards purchasing our three brewing vessels, electric control box, plate chiller, pumps, fermentation conicals, rims tube, keg cleaner, tubes/fittings, kegs, etc. We choose to employ an electric brewing system rather than gas, differentiating us from other breweries. While slightly more expensive upfront, electric brewing systems are extremely efficient and allow greater control over temperature and flavor. Bottom line-more precision means better beer.
Here's a graph that breaks down our funding allocations:
The Lost Borough Brewing Company is the realization of a dream for two life long friends - Dave Finger and Dan Western - in search of the perfect pint of locally brewed craft beer. After years of experimentation with all styles of artisan beers, we have decided to leave our mark by opening a local brewery where we can share our passion with others while providing a truly different craft beer experience.
In case you hadn’t heard, in January 2013, New York’s Farm Brewery Law took effect. Based on 1972’s Farm Wineries Act, the law is intended to boost agricultural production of hops and barley across the state, and give incentives for farm breweries to open. The Lost Borough Brewing Company will be part of this new law pledging to use locally grown ingredients to brew the freshest local beer.
From the beginning, we knew we wanted to be centrally located to serve communities all around Rochester. After all, our name, The Lost Borough, derives from the City’s nickname during its humble beginnings in the early 1800’s. Our brewing facility is located in a newly refurbished, 1900's machine shop near the corner of Atlantic and Culver Avenues in what is now called AC Junction. It will house our new 3 barrel brewing system, as well as a spacious tasting room and lounge area. You won't have any trouble finding us since occupying our building is the famous Sticky Lips BBQ, the area's premier barbecue restaurant.
Our long-term goal is to create a competitive regional brewery that distinguishes itself by providing a truly different craft beer experience. Should we outgrow our facility, our intention is to expand production to a bigger space within Rochester, enabling us to brew on a much larger scale and begin canning our beers in order to reach a greater audience. However, our micro-brewery and tasting room will still remain an active part of our operation.
As we build our company, we also want to fuel the continued revitalization of Rochester. A successful business venture will not only provide an economic boost, but also pull additional small businesses back to the area. Rochester has always had a rich brewing history; our hope is that, with your help, we can open a new chapter in locally brewed craft beer.
• Stickers - Our custom Die-Cut LBBC Logo Sticker. Perfect for your kegerator, pick-up truck, or guitar case, among a variety of other sticker-able locations.
• Coasters - A set of custom LBBC coasters locally printed on beautiful, thick 42pt board stock in full color on two sides.
• Pint Glass - Our official LBBC Pint Glass with logo imprint.
• T-Shirt - A limited edition Lost Borough T-shirt designed by our founders and printed locally on sustainable organic cotton.
• Growler - A 64oz Amber Glass LBBC Growler to use at our tasting room, locally screen printed.
• Pocket Tasting Guide - Designed by our founders, this one of a kind, 32 page tasting guide includes education on how to taste and rate craft beer, in edition to a scientific journal to chart your tasting experience. Printed locally on recycled kraft stock.
• Founders Party Invitation - An invitation to our Founders Party exculsively to thank our more committed supporters for their generous patronage.
• Growler Carrier Set - This one of a kind growler carrier is custom designed and built by our founders using only locally sourced, reclaimed woods. Transport up to two growlers with ease during your next refill.
• Brewers Apprentice Package - You've learned how to taste craft beer, now it's time to see how it's made. This package is prefect for anyone interested in learning more about craft beer, its history and the brewing process. Spend a day with our Master Brewer and follow a batch from start to finish. Sharpen your craft and have fun in the process. Plus, you’ll get a bunch of awesome LBBC Gear in the process.
• Private Party Package - This is your chance to host a private party in our tasting room with a guest list of your choosing. You and twenty of your closest friends. This package includes a tasting glass, coaster, sticker and pocket tasting guide for each guest, as well as a Founders Party invite for you and a friend. Come party with us!
• Brewmaster Package - This is it. The ultimate package. Your chance to create a custom recipe, brew it, and then even name your very own craft brew. Working closely with our Brew Master, you will design and brew your own custom recipe. We'll work with you through the process from start to finish. The package culminates when you participate in the inaugural pouring of this limited craft beer in our tasting room. Our customers will drink a brew designed, brewed and even named by you! Also included is a boat load of Lost Borough Gear, including a one of a kind, embroidered Marmot Brewers Jacket that only the founders own. Become part of local brewing lore by embracing every home brewer's dream.
Risks and challenges
When opening any new business there are always some small surprises along the way. Luckily we have access to amazing consultants and friends that are part of the project to address such concerns as they arise.
Learning to brew on a commercial scale is an inevitable growing pain for us as young brewers. Fortunately, we have the mentorship of several other master brewers that has been immensely helpful to us thus far.
Initial distribution will be fairly difficult, as we will be self-distributing until we partner with a distribution company. We have already built relationships with a number of bars and restaurants who have expressed interest in carrying our beers, providing us with an automatic customer base upon our launch.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)