Untethered Cubes & a surprise for 1x1x1 "Cube" backers
“Upward, not Northward!" -Flatland
Behold friends of the upper dimensions! We have two surprises in store for you!
The L3D Battery Shield Add-on
Up until now, the Cubes have been torn between two worlds. One, the wireless, free-range world of WiFi, where Cubes can connect to other Cubes and to the internet with nary a cable in sight. The second, a leashed existence, where Cubes are relegated to draw power through USB cables tethered to walls and laptop ports.
Introducing the L3D Battery Shield!
L3D Battery Shields will be available as an add-on for all backers. In two days, everyone will be receiving a survey from Backerkit. This is where you fill in your shipping address for your rewards -- and in that survey you can also choose to add-on the Battery Shield!
1x1x1 "Cube" Necklace/Pin
When we posted the reward of the 1x1x1 "Cube", it was intended to just be a RGB LED mounted to a circuit board. Fun, but pretty basic.
However, we mentioned that there'd be a surprise for all 1x1x1 "Cube" backers.
The surprise is THIS THING IS RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME! The lead electrical engineer on our team Samtim was touched by the light of inspiration and he made something great.
These photos and videos don't do this device justice. It is really, really cool. Here's what this little gem can do:
- Built-in nano-microphone and sound reaction visualization right out of the box!
- Rechargeable LiPo coin-cell battery which will run the necklace for 1-2 hours!
- Built-in RGB LED: the same type of high-quality addressable RGB LED we use in the 8x8x8 Cubes
- Fully reprogrammable: Yes, that's right, this bad boy is fully reprogrammable (as an Arduino Lilypad w/Atmega328) via your own microUSB cable. Change the LED color in a single line of code or get fancy with different patterns.
- The necklace holes double as input and ground pins -- so you can add your own sensor. HOLY WHAT?! YES!
- Comes with a 3D printed snap-on diffuser cap which you can tool-lessly switch out with your own 3D printed caps.
All of this is included in the device we will ship to 1x1x1 level backers. Backers at other levels can get these super-powered 1x1x1 "Cubes" at the insanely low backer-only $20 as an add-on, also via the BackerKit survey going out to everyone in a couple days.
Cube production is going well too....more on that in the next update!
To the future!
-Shawn, Alex, and team Looking Glass