Use this space to cheer the creator along, and talk to your fellow backers.
Have a question?
New update about The Dark of the Wood wrapping up in graphic assembly and our plans for PAX Unplugged. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loneshark/thornwatch/posts/2043120
Sad to still be waiting, but waiting patiently none the less. I've backed all 4 Reaper Miniatures Bones kickstarters, so I'm more than accustomed to long lead times for the good stuff to finally show up on my doorstep.
Just keep us updated.
No. Our goal is to wrap it up on our side shortly, then see when our printers can get it done. That's a complex process, and we never speculate on the outcome until we hear a return date from our printer.
Any idea when you'll actually be shipping this game? :)
Here's an update on Dark of the Wood's progress, PAX Aus, and a laid-out rulebook.
Thanks for the info, will be waiting
Yup. We'll be sending out one later today.
Hey guys, any updates?
Thank you very much for the open lines of communication, even when its just to say "nope, we still don't know yet". Having gone through a few campaigns that were totally silent, its really appreciated.
Right is better than Fast, thanks for the reply...
@Lone Shark Games Sweet action!
Sometime this month, we expect. Just gotta get some things right.
Are you closer to knowing, ballpark-wise, when DotW will be completed?
We are waiting for Dark of the Wood to be completed before we ship the Core Set out.
I have a shipping question. Are you waiting for Dark of the Woods to be completed before you ship both items out, or are you planning on shipping the core first while you continue work on Dark of the Woods? I'm pretty sure I have not seen this answered anywhere, but I apologize if this is a repeat.
Just watched the Pax update. I want to cry. This looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait to play it with my gaming group. Thanks everyone!
Here's a video and slideshow of our panel at PAX West, including all the new stuff we revealed. Be sure to check out The Dark of the Wood's heroes at the end.
@Daniel: Weird. Send a note to support at (our company name) dot com and we'll try to get it sorted out.
I added the $5 to my pledge when the expansion was announced.
In the pledge manager I have $5 left, and the option to add dark of the wood for $78.
The core game can't be removed from my pledge - instead of an 'x' there's a gift box that says "this item is included in your pledge".
How do I add just the dark of the wood expansion to my pledge?
If you'd like to see the Thornwatch Greets the Dawn panel from PAX West, go to 2:00:00 on this Twitch stream:
@Steven: How about right now?
Here's an update on our state of the game and our plans for PAX.
Any possibility of a new official update? It's between a while
It was good. We're writing a post that will lead into our PAX plans.
How was your gen con, I stopped by the booth art looks amazing.
We are going to demo it at both Gen Con and PAX West! Come play!
Are you going to demo this game at pax
Good deal. Seemed pretty sketchy.
I don't want to make a big deal about it so I'm not going to put it in an update or anything, but Wiz Kids called us and Penny Arcade and we worked it all out.
@Jonathan: We never set a release date until we have a ship date from the printer. That won't be for a few months, I expect.
It's like Lookouts with Thornwatch's name.
Has anyone seen Wizkids' blatant Thornwatch rip-off? Thistleguard https://wizkids.com/2017/07/13/wizkids-announces-thistleguard-new-pre-painted-miniatures-line-consisting-of-children-adventurers-and-their-companions/
@Hippoeater, once LSG is done with the all the graphic design on the game then it'll be at least 6 months after that before it's at your door. They'll have to get color proofs made and then re-made to fix any mistakes, 4-6 weeks. Then they'll have to get a blank copy maid by the printer. This is just to make sure everything fits in the box, 4-6 weeks. Then they'll have to get a final production copy maid and looked through to make sure everything is ok, 4-6 weeks. Then the final switch can be flipped for production, 4-6 weeks. Once production is finished then it's about 6 weeks from loading the boat, getting through customs, and then being delivered to your door.
I've kickstarted a lot of games and this is basically the process that I remember. Given that they aren't done with the graphic design for base game or for the expansion then give them 3 more months for that. If everything isn't printed out and on the boat by Nov. then you've got another 2-3 month delay for Christmas and Chinese New Year. I'd expect to get the game by June 2018.
Now, this is just a wild guess by someone who doesn't know where LSG is on their development timeline. Please, don't take this as a firm estimate by someone in the know.
Sorry that wasn't stated directly in the update. Obviously, it's July and we're still working on graphic design, and so a September ship date isn't happening. We haven't reforecasted, but will probably have a clearer idea when we actually wrap up the base set and get into graphic design on the expansion, which will printed at the same time. More thoughts on this in the next update, likely.
Haha for sure! I'm cool with the delay , just say something about it - what percent do you feel the project is at , what's a more realistic timeframe , etc . All good , can't wait! Just didn't see much clarity behind this update.
Since it was not addressed directly is it safe to assume that the September completion date is getting pushed. Delays should be expected for sure but prefer them to be clearly stated when possible.
New post! Krahulik speaks on how the game looks.
Sorry, guys, we had an update ready to launch on Friday, but the graphics we needed for it weren't ready. We will have one late this week instead.
In a nutshell: Cards are basically all laid out, storyboards are finished in art and are going through graphic design, and the rulebook is heading into graphics. So lots and lots of progress, which you'll see after the holiday.
Over a month without update. How's the status?
Still on track for September Guys?
A few other rules questions:
6) Can Ebb Vortex gain more than 4 ebb, or does it stop at 4?
7) When the Ebb Spawn monster becomes Ebb Infused, it *loses* its ability to generate Ebb when attacks deal damage, right? I just want to confirm that this is intentional, or whether they should keep the "gain ebb if attack deals damage" ability when Ebb Infused.
8) If an Ebb Spawn deals damage and generates an Ebb, can the Judge immediately spend that same Ebb token on Strength of Ebb to add 2 damage to the attack that just hit? Again, it seems like yes; I just wanted to confirm.
9) The text for the Ebb Well terrain card changed and now says "hero in here can remove Ebb". Does this still take an action for them to remove it, or is it free?
10) Cards like Hidden Blade say "take another action". Can a Thornwatch player move inbetween playing that card and taking another action? Or do they have to take the next action right away? (seems like the latter)
@Lone Shark - Ahh, so the ebb from Ebb Vortex stays on the table until spent. Thanks!
You know it would be really handy in the print and play email... To include a link to the print and play files rather than just saying in bold I can get them where I got them before. I've just spent half an hour searching my archives for the original link.
1) Lure costs 3 Brawn. Will update.
2) Any enemy.
3) There's no specific timing on the spending ebb from the Ebb Vortex. Whatever normal methods that particular Judge has for spending ebb, they may use the ebb on Ebb Vortex, assuming there's enough of it.
4) Should be on that space. Will fix.
5) Any corrupted monster anywhere.
Some questions about the update:
1) In the Guard deck, the first Lure card has a cost of 2 Brawn, while the second Lure card has a cost of 3 Brawn. Should they be the same? I'm guessing they should perhaps both cost 3, since the previous Gard card in that spot was Rejuvenating Strike, which costs 2 Brawn?
2) Does the Guard's Vengeance ability have to attack the same enemy that dealt damage, or can it be against any enemy?
3) Ebb Vortex says "the Judge may spend it" (the ebb). Do they have to spend the ebb immediately? Before the current monster's turn is over? Should the Judge draw ebb tokens normally for this or is it a special rule where the ebb gained does not go into their normal ebb pile?
4) Wellspring says "a hero may shift 1 momentum card". Does the hero have to be in the same space as the Wellspring to activate it? Or can any hero anywhere on the map active Wellspring?
5) For the Ebb Golem's "Bolster with Ebb" and "Malign Endurance" abilities: does this only affect creatures that are in the same space as the golem? Or does it apply to creatures no matter where they are on the map?
Wahoo - thanks for all of the new content! This looks great :)
Folks on the playtest list may wish to check their emails for the new print and play version. It's made a bunch of big leaps in development and editing. We'd love your feedback.
Seattle Thornwatch fans—If you’re at Evergreen Tabletop Expo today, not only can you see the new version of Thornwatch, but you can play in a special Mission: Apocrypha escape room we made with Epic Team Adventures. Come play with us! https://etxwa.com
The updated stuff looks great! Really looking forward to getting this played when it's all complete!