Update #2: Mr. Holkins, Mr. Rothfuss, and the Rest of the Remembrance Team. Plus Fragments, The Fae, and Doctor Zeez's Surgical Options
Hey, guys, we have some more gameplay for you here. Specifically, we're talking about how memory fragments work and who's writing them. I'm joined by my friend Jerry "Tycho" Holkins of Penny Arcade, who tells us a story and then asks me who else is on the team.
So here's the list of memory authors, in alphabetical order (not the order of release):
- Keith Baker, creator of the card game Gloom and the upcoming RPG Phoenix: Dawn Command.
- Wolfgang Baur, publisher of Kobold Press, and creator of books like Deep Magic, Courts of the Shadow Fey, and The Free City of Zobeck.
- Bruce Cordell, co-creator of the RPG The Strange, and author of ten Forgotten Realms novels.
- Erin M. Evans, author of the novels The God Catcher, Brimstone Angels, and The Adversary.
- Matt Forbeck, author of the novels Halo: New Blood, Dangerous Games, Hard Times in Dragon City, Brave New World, and Leverage: The Con Job.
- Jerry "Tycho" Holkins, writer of the Penny Arcade comic strip, Thornwatch, and Automata, and co-founder of Penny Arcade Expo and the Child's Play charity.
- Kij Johnson, Hugo- and Nebula-winning author of The Fox Woman, Fudoki, "26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss," "The Man Who Bridged the Mist," "Ponies," and "Spar."
- Mary Robinette Kowal, Hugo-winning author of Shades of Milk and Honey, Glamour in Glass, Without a Summer, and Valour and Vanity.
- Patrick Rothfuss, author of The Name of the Wind, The Wise Man's Fear, and The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle, and founder of the charity Worldbuilders.
- Kris Straub, cartoonist responsible for the webcomics Starslip, Chainsaw Suit, and Broodhollow, and co-creator of the game Machine of Death.
If I had to write a spooky game about fragmentary memories, that's the crew I'm rolling with. If we unlock all the chapters, you'll be able to get inside all of their heads.
Stretch goal: The Book of the Fae
The Book of the Fae has a tripartite Novem named The Morrigan. The Phantom Queen appears as three bickering sisters, each trying to trick the others into doing her bidding. The fae are more than just enemies; they inhabit an intricate web of deceit and media manipulation, and they respect those that can confound them. They cause people to change, often by giving them what they wish for. Sometimes they look like Disney Princesses, and other times they look like your worst nightmares. Say, this tooth fairy.
Maybe you can trick the faeries to your side. The Book of the Fae will be unlocked at $100,000.
We created three new levels for Canada and the European Union that adds $25 postage rather than the previously mentioned $45. For Europeans, the game will be EU-Friendly, and ship from inside the EU.
If you are in Europe and already had a game selected at one of the other levels, and you want to save $20, just click Manage Your Pledge and select the level below the one you're at now. Kickstarter's software won't show you the change until you accept the new pledge, but it will go through at the right shipping cost under the new level.
We haven't yet found cheaper solutions for Australia or anywhere else other than the places mentioned above, but we will keep trying, and announce them in an update if we do.
Rules and gameplay
There have been quite a few calls for a finished rulebook from some backers and commenters on BoardGameGeek and Reddit. In all honesty, we normally wouldn't do that. The game has several months left of development, and a rulebook is typically the final document we produce. But we get what people are saying. So in addition to continuing with our series of gameplay videos, we'll put up our "procedural document" on Monday, and you can see what we've got then. Thanks for your comments, and do let us know what you think when you read it.
Doctor Zeez's Journal, Entry 2
Last time, Doctor Zeez's patient encountered a polypagus. Now, the good doctor has some remedies in mind.
If you find the body part Doctor Zeez is looking for, send it in an email to (whatever your answer is)@lonesharkgames.com (without spaces). You will be rewarded by auto-reply with the Badge of the Deathless if you do, and you can turn it into your icon on Twitter, Facebook, Kickstarter, or anywhere else. Please do!
And thanks for supporting the Apocrypha Adventure Card Game!
Mike and the Sharks