Hi, my name is Dan Young, and my bandless band is called LONELY BENSON. Check out my BRAND NEW song "Location" on Soundcloud:
Just watching the news these days is enough to give anyone a nervous breakdown, let alone what personal issues someone might be dealing with. That’s why I’ve set out to create music that helps people chill.
SONIC PARADISE FOUND
It all started a couple of years ago, when I started playing with this drummer named Christian Hayden (he plays drums on the Lonely Benson stuff— hi Christian!). He introduced me to a bunch of jazz records, and one of them in particular stole my heart, or shall I say chilled my heart. The record is called “Wave” by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Check it out! He’s a Brazilian composer, writer, singer and guitarist who was deeply involved in the creation of bossanova music— the kind of music that helps my anxiety sort of lift off. Honestly, I do struggle with some nasty anxiety at times and this just took me down a level. I had already started Lonely Benson, but that’s when I found its purpose.
From that moment on I decided I was gonna create indie pop jams that were groovy and laid back but also just casual and relaxing. Like a little vacation, or a trip to paradise, even?
A DIFFERENT KIND OF SOUND
With this new approach to my music I started working with a good friend and producer Will Pugh. We began recording and intentionally stayed away from abrasive sounds like crash cymbals and distorted guitars. We focused in on sounds that were soft and round, to give it that pleasant vibe.
For a full year I wrote, recorded, and released one song a month. A couple of the songs got picked up by notable playlists, which is awesome. But it’s kind of funny when I look at Spotify and it shows that I have all these listeners, but I have absolutely no idea who and where these people are! Are you one of those people?? It’s all good. We’ll find them eventually (or not, haha).
PROJECT GOALS & REWARDS
So now, here I am, with a bunch of songs ready to go. I’ve even got some more written that I want to record, too. This Kickstarter pre-order will help me cover the remaining recording costs, the graphic design, pressing cassette tapes, reward item costs, & an album release publicity campaign.
I can't wait to share this album with you and really hope it will help a lot of you relax. Thank you so much for your support of my career in music. If we do hit the initial goal of $6,500, the next goal level is really near & dear to my heart. I'd LOVE to release this album ON VINYL. Pre-order enough of it and I'll be able to make that dream come true.
I’ve been seriously releasing music for that last 10-15 years and I’ve never heard any of my songs on a spinning record. Will you finally help me make that dream a reality?
This is what I plan to do with the funds:
REWARD BUNDLES INCLUDE:
- Lonely Benson Album on Cassette Tape
- AUTOGRAPHED ITEMS
- FIRST PRESSING Black Vinyl
- 2 NEW Lonely Benson T-Shirt Designs
- Strawberry Seeds Packet
- Digital file of me reading "The Night Before Christmas"
- Handwritten Lyrics
- Lonely Benson 3 Enamel Pin Set
- RARE & LIMITED "Lost" First Album Demo Cassette Tape
- Custom Song or Lullaby
- Nashville Brewery Tour with Dan
- Trip "Down Under" to Melbourne, Australia with Dan
- Skype Guitar Lesson, Songwriting Critique, or Q+A with Dan
- House Shows Available Across the USA
- Seattle Sights & Sounds Tour with Dan
- SO MUCH MORE!
INTERNATIONAL BACKERS ONLY BONUS
My new album project will be fulfilled from the United States, but I’ve certainly got fans from ALL OVER THE WORLD that I don’t want feeling left out. Shipping internationally from the States can be a little pricey depending on the weight, so I wanted to offer something special for my INTERNATIONAL BACKERS ONLY, as a way of making up for your extra shipping costs.
Every international backer for this project who chooses a physical item of $20 or more & requiring additional shipping costs will ALSO receive the following BONUS ITEMS as part of their reward bundle:
- LIVESTREAM link for 2018 Tour Concert (Date & Location TBD)
- Special FIRST LISTEN of the New Album before release date
*International backers are considered ANYONE outside of the United States with a shipment to a non-U.S. address
REWARD BUNDLE DISCLAIMERS
Check out all of the reward bundles along the right side of the project page. Please message us with any specific questions.
- VINYL DISCLAIMER: Unfortunately, I can't print vinyl for backers unless the project gets to the $10,000 goal. If the FIRST PRESSING Black Vinyl Goal Based Reward is not unlocked, EVERY package that originally included vinyl will instead include an AUTOGRAPHED cassette tape, Your Name Printed in Cassette & Digital Liner Notes AND a T-Shirt design of your choice as the replacement. In cases where reward includes a T-Shirt & Vinyl, the Backer will receive BOTH T-Shirt designs as the vinyl replacement
- Most rewards will be shipped in January 2018
- Nashville, Seattle, & Melbourne experiential events will be scheduled for sometime in 2018
- Backers of Nashville Brewery Tour reward MUST be 21+
- Backers of Nashville Brewery Tour are backing the tour experience, NOT purchasing alcohol
- House Shows will be scheduled for sometime in 2018
- Custom Songs delivered sometime in 2018
- Backers of the Seattle or Australia trips assume all risks of travel, domestically or internationally
PLEASE NOTE - Reward bundles include ONLY items listed in the reward outline. Backer is solely responsible for ALL additional costs associated with reward; including, but not limited to:
- Travel Costs to Nashville, Seattle, Melbourne, Australia, or any other experiential locations
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Visa Fees
- Anything NOT Expressly Outlined in Reward Bundle
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT
I’m not very good at the whole music business side of things, so this is this is sort of my attempt at getting myself out there. Thanks for taking the time to listen. <3
Speaking of listening, have a listen to my music! I suggest perhaps starting with Strawberry Afternoons at this YouTube link to hear that Bossanova influence. Or if you're a fan of Hall & Oates, my take on "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)."
And hey— if either of them strikes a chord with you, if you like it, makes you feel good, please do share it & this project with a friend.
Have yourself a Strawberry Afternoon!
PEACE and LOVE
PS - Oh yeah, and I JUST BECAME A DAD <3 <3
Risks and challenges
As with all products, there could be production delays. However, I'll keep everyone updated throughout the entire process.
I'm hoping to release this album exactly the way we envision it and hopefully on VINYL. I'm incredibly proud of the music and what I've done and can't wait to share it with you all.
Thank you for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)