This project's funding goal was not reached on June 2, 2013.
This project's funding goal was not reached on June 2, 2013.
SUPPORTS QWERTY, AZERTY and QWERTZ. (English/French/German)
Why shouldn't mobile accessories strive to work with all phones*?
1. The Casetop replaces a laptop for 10 years! That's 3ish laptops over time replaced! $250 for 10 YEARS of use? That's 1/7th the cost!
2. The Casetop works with 14 Manufacturers! Almost ALL of them! You don't have to worry when you upgrade your phone.
3. No learning! The Casetop is the same interface as your phone, just adapted to a larger screen, bigger keyboard! Don't have any more trouble reading your phone screen.
Good question, and our answer is two fold.
1. Essentially, all future-facing Smartphone companies include TV-out capability, this is shown in simply the amount of phones that we support. As long as a manufacturer allows TV-out, they are supporting the Casetop. This is unlikely to change but if they do, we have this second part.
2. The Casetop is very changable, and adaptable with the Frontbar technology. We have designed a product that is infinitely upgraded with different Frontbars. From placing your phone to one of the sides instead of the front, to different 'Active' things like Miracast and Airplay. We can enhance the Casetop with new features and compatibilities with the Frontbar. Another solution, which we're doing with Apple is building around their solutions. The iPhone Frontbar includes a spot for Apple's own HDMI adapter, instead of our engineering coming up with a 100%-compatible Thunderbolt adapter, we're simply using theirs. The user would then plug this adapter in, place it in the slot designed for it in the Frontbar and then connect that to his phone (don't worry, it doesn't have to be removed and it's a hidden compartment).
These methods enable Livi Design to be very responsive and it give the user an experience that is expected. If, for some reason, a manufacturer makes an adapter that isn't able to be used in this way (power/size problems), we will simply use a wireless video method or engineer an active Frontbar for that feature that we need.
1. No Planned Retirement for the Casetop means it lives way longer than tech normally does. We've planned a minimum life instead of a maximum life.
2. More life = Less waste
3. The company is built around helping the enviroment. One of our stretch goals is for a bag to carry around your Casetop, but (in usual Livi twist) is a 'Reclaimed T-Shirt Bag'! We will be buying t-shirts from around our city and having them made into bags! More Reducing! No two bags will be alike, all of them unique.
1. Laptops for 90% of users
2. Extended phone batteries
2. Emergency Portable Battery Chargers
3. Phone stands, HDMI docks and other 1 phone only accessories.
1. Low cost laptops only last for 1 year or 2, this Casetop lasts for 10! The Casetop has more in common with a TV then a laptop, how often do you replace your TV instead of your DVD player/VCR/Game System.
2. The Casetop gets upgraded when you buy a new phone! Unlike a Low-cost laptop, the Casetop is 100% usable for it's entire 10 YEAR LIFE. It doesn't get slow, annoying, or frustrating.
3. If your phone feels fast in your hand, it WILL be fast in the Casetop, NO MORE WAITING for your web browser to start. NO MORE hard drive crashes!
3. The Battery Life of the Casetop is at least 15 TIMES the battery life of the Standard Laptop, and 4 TIMES longer than the BEST laptop.
No! If you don't want the phone in that location, there are FOUR options right now, AND the OPTION to put your phone to the side at any time! The design with the Frontbar enables A TONNE of customizing!
1. Manufacturers want you to buy JUST THEIR PHONES. So they will NEVER make an accessory that is universal like the Casetop.
2. There have been announcements from other companies, but no company has been this close to shipping one of these!
1. The Casetop is Environmentally friendly, yet NOT a burden to use! And it's EASIER and FASTER than a Laptop! Good for your wallet, Good for our planet!
1. The Casetop is completely CONSUMER FOCUSSED. We want you to use the Casetop as long as you can. You can upgrade your Casetop with new Front sections that allow for more technical features like WIRELESS VIDEO, BIGGER SOUND, SOLAR PANEL CHARGING and other options. We have 17 OPTIONS SO FAR!
2. The Casetop will force accessory companies to think harder about what is good for the CUSTOMER not themselves.
1 Casetop Main Body
2 Casetop Frontbars (there are 4 options)
All of the cables you need for over 200 phones!
Actually yes, we've been able to come up with a price that will allow you to get a full HD screen. Simply add $120 to your reward tier to get the upgrade. The reason why we didn't offer the screen right away is that at the end of the day, it does cost us $120 to put the screen in, so some people might want it now. And if we reach our 1080P screen goal, all of these upgrades are now a FREE Andybar FULL Computer!
We at Livi Design have seen awesome accessories for a lot of phones, but no Smartphone manufacturer has had the courage to make an accessory that doesn't lock it's customers into buying their specific products forever for support and additional income.
The Casetop by Livi Design is an innovative evolution of the laptop but features some very exciting new ideas! Visit Casetop.ca for more information about Livi Design and what we've created here.
*Refers to the list at phones.casetop.ca We can support ANY phone with bluetooth and video out. HDMI is so widespread, so a lot of phones work!
- Click here for specific examples of different uses and walkthroughs and Windows Remote instructions -
Would you like your phone positioned in a different spot in the Casetop? Check out these options here! Update #13
Engadget - "Handheld devices are replacing laptops, so how about doing it literally?"
Liliputing - "Casetop is one of the first devices designed to offer cross-platform support for BlackBerry, iOS, and Android phones."
Gizmodiva.com - "...It is the first time we have been introduced a case, which transforms your smartphone into a full-size laptop!"
$400,000 - Stretch Goal is for one 'Reclaimed T-Shirt Bag'. These bags are made from used t-shirts (washed, don't worry!) and will help with our goal of being environmentally friendly! Drawstring at the top, and perfectly fitted to the Casetop. Imagine...an old Star Wars T-Shirt!
The Casetop is compatible with any Smartphone that has a video out option and bluetooth. That's right, any. From Apple to HTC, Blackberry 10 to Samsung.
We have a full list available at phones.casetop.ca and will keep it updated as we see new phones coming out, but don't wait for us to confirm it. As the only requirement one of several types of video out sources and bluetooth, don't be scared to buy something not on our list, we guarantee it.
Finally a product that tries to last as LONG as possible. How about ten years?
The Casetop aims to be supported by new phones for a minimum of ten years from point of sale by using standardized ports such as HDMI, MHL and MicroUSB.
We are also working on making the plastic bits on the Casetop out of environmentally friendly plastics, and this is one area where we will be focusing concluding the Kickstarter campaign.
Easily repairable and mod-able. If you break a part of your Casetop, you can either order the part from us or send us your Casetop. Since the Casetop is very easy to work on, we'll simply charge the cost of the part plus $10 for installation.
You can have your cake and eat it too. As the Casetop does not have all of the expensive parts that a traditional laptop would have, we have a lot of room to get the best fit, finish and parts!
Glass covered LED LCD Display, full-size island-style keyboard. Think Apple, ASUS, Sony, this won't be netbook quality. No large and complex motherboard, no RAM, no difficult heat management. Just a beautiful screen, wonderful Polycarbonate and a huge battery.
High Design: The Casetop has evolved out from the parents of the Unibody Macbook from Apple and the White Polycarbonate Macbook.
We like the White, but love the single piece construction. The Casetop takes this feature of the unibody Macbook to the Polycarbonate world, the entire keyboard area is constructed from one inject-molded piece of Polycarbonate.
Custom Flavor: The Casetop body itself is a pearl white while the frontbar comes in 7 different colors for Kickstarter backers to choose from. While the Casetop right now comes in white, we will be producing a black one at a later date, and it might be possible to offer this to Kickstarter backers in a survey later on (depending on volume).
The Casetop is currently utilizing a board manufactured by a factory in China which we have a relationship with and can manufacture 5,000 units per week. We will only be utilising the HDMI and 3.5mm ports for the Casetop. One of our stretch goals is to design our own minimal board which doesn't have all of the extras in here with a potential partnership with a designer in Taiwan for this other board.
Other components includes simply the display, the main polycarbonate body and the 'frontbar'. The display will be sources from various factories in China. The polycarbonate body and 'frontbar' will be injection moulded.
We believe that this is how to show the best where we are at in the schedule to bring this product to you fine folks. We are currently just completing the 3DP stage shown above and starting the 'setup to start working with Dragon and factories' phase. Dragon Innovations are experts with factory choice and how to work closely with the factories. They will be introducing John Andrus, in person in China, to each final choice factory owner to work on tooling of the plastic parts. Assembly will happen in the factory. We will be shipping from the US and from China. Logistics for shipping is going to happen with Dragon as well. We will be choosing a cable designing factory in the PROD stage, and finally there is the SHP stage.
Well, this isn't the first design of the Casetop and it has changed quite a bit, from the MK1 to MK2 and the first prototype until the modern age of the MK3 and 3D printed prototype you see on this page. Perhaps some of these ideas will end up in our future plans for the 2nd generation and we have a tonne of plans for different models. You can imagine the media-focussed designs, larger screens, milspec protection and more.
You can print these out and hand 'em to people you think should get in on this Kickstarter, also we'll be making more as time goes on, if you have any ideas for more bumper stickers, please let us know!
1. Here is the first option.
2. This is the second option.
One of the difficulties that we will be working through upon fulfillment of the Kickstarter campaign is simply the ramp up to production. Although we are close to the production 'beginning point', we have the following to consider when the countdown reads 0.
- Chinese Factory choice (with a little help from Dragon Innovations)
- Atleast 1 Employee relocating to China to smooth over issues
- Production tooling and molds
- Large component orders and getting the best price
- Global Bluetooth certification
One of the risks with this type of product is red tape from several governments, so we look to our advisors in the Paragrine Glove and Dragon Innovations for some guidance with this. Government approval can sometimes drag out the time for shipping.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes, it plugs in for the video and sound and it charges the phone while you use it. In fact, if you run the Casetop battery down while you're using it, your phone will have a full charge! The keyboard connects with Bluetooth, so you can use the keyboard with the phone remotely.
There is not a slot, but the phone is 'squeezed' between the Frontbar and the Main body. Think of those universal car docks for phones, it's a similar idea.
Wefound out that the 4th generation iPod touch has HDMI out with the adapter, so yes! That would work. Also, iPads can work with the Casetop, just pass the cable out of the side of the Frontbar and leave it closed.
The Frontbar is a part of the mounting hardware and it's palm rest. It is hollow and for the iPhone version, has a place for the Apple HDMI adapter. We have big plans for the future of the Casetop Frontbars, as we're going to be making an Airplay-compatible version that wirelessly works with iPhones. We're also looking at a Solar Panel Frontbar that will 'tent' your Casetop for a larger surface area for charging!
Yup! You got it man. That's exactly what it is. With the Frontbar future though, we're going to make a million addons, such as a Full Computer Frontbar that works like a laptop with Android installed without having to need a 'master' device.
We're also going to expand the uses of the Casetop using the Frontbar idea. We already have announced a FULL Computer Frontbar that will contain an Android-based computer to use with the Casetop Main Body.
Bluetooth mice already work excellent with the Casetop and we show someone using a BT mouse in a video on one of our updates (#10 I believe) As for the iPhone, it looks like it requires a Jailbreak to work right now. Maybe Apple will change that? Who knows. Check this out. http://modmyi.com/content/8960-control-your-ios-device-bluetooth-mouse-trackpad-btc-mouse-trackpad.html
Yes, we are committing to at least supplying a microHDMI cable, an MHL cable and a short HDMI cable for the iPhone version. We're thinking of supplying a right angle and left angle plug as well, but that's depending on how much we are able to raise. You will have to buy the Apple HDMI adapter from Apple though.
Yes! If you look just up from this FAQ section, we have a section about the Frontbar Variations that shows just what you asked! You can pick this other style of Frontbar with any tier.
Yes! We have this tier, but it's up at $3,000,000 as the cost is a lot higher for the screen, design and parts. At that price we can give one to everyone though, so tell your friends about the Casetop and lets get that tier!
No, we like you guys! We'd LOVE to support the Windows Phones as well, but the problem is that none of the current Windows Phones have a way to output video. There is a rumor of a new Aluminium Nokia Lumia coming out that has been said to have a microHDMI port, so that phone will be supported!
The Casetop is designed to be easily repairable for people with the proper skills, there is no warranty stickers that will void your warranty or anything. We do not suggest that people carry out repairs themselves, however we will sell replacement parts at the same time. The battery falls into this category, as it is 'nonremovable' but replacement parts will be sold.
- (30 days)