Hi there to all my friends, “dancers,” and go-getters! I am so gosh darn excited to introduce to you my newest book, Live Your Dance.
Come join me on the adventure!
Live Your Dance is a book that I’ve been working on for over a year now, ever since I left the corporate world back in Santa Barbara, California. I firmly believe that people were born to do and experience so much more than just mediocre and "meh” jobs. To me, each person has an internal dance that is aching to be expressed and shared. That dance may be your love of neuroscience, or business strategy, or even in serving the best espresso in town. Whatever your “dance” is, I’m inviting and urging you to LIVE IT!
Live Your Dance follows my personal journey from a picturesque life in business, where I lived in Santa Barbara and had the pleasure of doing marketing and branding with celebrity chefs in the footwear arena (Yes, shoes for chefs…it was actually quite fun and fascinating most of the time)—to a life of creation and contribution, doing what I genuinely love.
After three years of learning and climbing a corporate ladder of sorts, I realized my heart wasn’t in it anymore. What many people don't know is that it took an insane amount of courage to walk away from a life that was "pretty good" by most people's standards. But at that point, I continuously woke up stressed every morning, withdrew from my friends and co-workers, and began to wonder if my current path was all I had to look forward to for the rest of my career.
I was in a downward spiral, and received a very bad annual review at the end of 2011. However, in the beginning of 2012, I turned it around, received a very promising promotion, and a competing offer for a position that would pay me 6-figures. Yet I still knew that regardless of the circumstances, I still needed to figure out what would “pull” me out of bed, rather than “push” or "shove" me through each day.
And I knew I didn’t want to perpetually chase a paycheck, only to look on my life, wondering, “What if…?” So I quit. I sold everything and hit the road on a six month long road trip around the country to pinpoint and discover what was the thing that would pull me out of bed eagerly and make me light up each and every day.
Throughout that entire process, I was indirectly writing this book via my writing in journals: documenting my story, my thought processes, and my strategy of determining and taking action towards creating a life about which I am truly passionate.
Live Your Dance is the about finding the “dance” in whatever it is that you do. While I personally have many interests including writing, brand building, and developing a patent of mine, I find my heart and soul is completely swept away by dancing.
To me, going after my dance serves as the metaphor for going after your dream or vision, whatever that might be. While I weather the bumps and successes along the way, I'll be bringing to light via my writing the parallels of how this process is directly related to starting your own business, creating value in the market, or persisting when things get tough.I’ve committed to training for and competing in the US Open Swing Dance Championships (a long-time dream) and I’ll be collecting insights from the process of actually going in 100% and realizing such a long time goal. I am excited to chronicle the process at mollyking.com (my blog), and utilizing those insights to create the book’s body.
There is truly no where else I feel more alive, free to be my entire self, where I’m connected, challenged, focused, in flow, and no matter how much it can be frustrating and disappointing--I’m never going to not love dance. Dance makes my heart soar, is truly a part of who I am, and I’m relatively sure it may in fact be the love of my life.
I would love nothing more than for everyone to be able to experience such live passion in their in their own medium. If you’re a lawyer--lawyer it up! If you’re a janitor--find the “dance” in janitoring (is that even a word?) I’m committed to living my dance, and my mission is to inspire others to do the same.
Live Your Dance includes:
- Insights from 3 years working in a corporate structure
- The process I went through to take me from a very dark and hopeless state about my career trajectory, making a major shift, to now where I’ve never been more driven or more excited about my life’s "work"
- Personal findings from my 6 months of solo travel, driving 17,700+ miles around the US
- Insights from the process of committing to and training for the US Open Swing Dance Championships, and how that same process directly relates to how to start a business, or go after the job/mission of your heart’s desire
- Insider perspective with top industry game-changers who've made the leap into doing work they love and are crushing it
- Exercises to help identify where you currently stand and what you ultimately want to create
- Countless other tools and resources to help support you on your own journey
I CAN'T DO THIS ALONE -- I NEED YOUR HELP!
I’ve done much of the necessary leg-work in developing the book, however...
Here's the problem: for as much time, energy, and money as it’s taken to live and write this book so far, it costs even more to edit, produce, release, and distribute it! Oof! Hence my starting a Kickstarter campaign to help spread the word, to connect, and to generate support.
Here's a snippet of where my Kickstarter funds will go: I want to produce an audio version of the book because I promised my 97-year-old grandma, who is now blind, an audio recording so she can listen to the finished product. I also plan on publishing and recording a Spanish version. In addition, below is a list of the fund allocation:
- Storyboarding and organizing the content for the book
- Editing and revisions
- Developing a dedicated website
- Designing the cover and the formatting of the book
- Funding the self-publishing and distribution the book in both eBook and physical copies
- Producing an audio book
- Legal fees for setting up an LLC to house future profits from the book/business
- Marketing and promotion (online and offline)
- Dance events and registration fees and filing
- Professional choreography
- Travel for competitions and getting professional coaching
- Costumes, shoes, and other dance-related items
- Odds and ends that appear last minute for the book
In other words…
There’s too much for me to try and do this all by myself! I’ll be able to get this book out into the world faster and at higher quality if I enlist support for my vision. I see this book being pivotal in galvanizing many people into going after their “dance.” And I firmly believe that the world will be a better place with more people living their dance—whatever that may be.
HOW TO PLEDGE AND BECOME A BACKER!
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
• Step 1: Check out the rewards on the right side bar
• Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
• Step 3: Pick your pledge level and follow the instructions on how to complete your information. Should be done in a jiffy! That's it!
You’re now an integral part of the journey, and we get to share this message around the world (not to mention, you get some pretty cool perks, too…)!
You’re the best, thank you!!
Important note: No funds will be transferred until the project is successfully pledged. We meet my goal, or I get nothing. But not to fret, I know that with your help, we can make this a reality! :)
SHARING IS CARING:
• Via Facebook: Share the link with the “Share” button just below the video and tell your friends about it! This is by far the best way to spread the love.
• On Twitter: Similarly to Facebook, just click the “Tweet” button below the video above.
• A short email: Know of someone who has a latent “dance” bubbling inside them, or someone who honors the “dance” of others? Write them a quick note and send them a link to this campaign—I owe ya on this one, big time. ☺
• Vintage word-of-mouth: Out to coffee? Hanging at your favorite bar? Tell your friends about the project and let them know where to find me. I’ll love you forever.
Anything we can do to spread the word will help. Thank you again, from the bottom of the heart, for joining me on this incredible adventure and for helping share this project.
LET’S BE FRIENDS!
Contact Molly King...
• Molly_king@mac.com (email)
• http://facebook.com/themollykingpage (on the Facebooks)
• @mollyking (via Instagram)
• @molly_king (on twitter)
• or on mollyking.com for the latest on the competitions and insights along the way
If you have any questions, I’d love to chat about any media opportunities, unique circumstances, and hear your feedback. Thank you so very much for participating in my journey. I’m so grateful for you and each and every bit of support.
Love and shimmies,
Risks and challenges
1. I only have 30 days to reach my goal! This means that it’s go-time from the moment it goes live—from helping spread the word and asking people to contribute to the project. While this will most likely overtake my Facbeook newsfeed for the next month, this Kickstarter is the last puzzle piece to bring everything together—so it’s important that if you like the project, you take action and tell your friends to come dance with me along the way.
I’m so honored to be a part of your life and your community, and I'm confident that along with your support, we can make this idea become a (very cool) reality.
2. I know this won’t be an easy road to travel: from maintaining a consistent writing schedule, to the actual training, traveling and competing…there are inherent risks that come with being so physical over a long period of time. But my commitment is to be honest and forthright on my blog about the process of what it takes to go after a dream—and I foresee any obstacles as rich learning experiences, to be shared and from which I have the ability to learn.
Equipped with a vision and a good sense of humor to weather the bumps along the way, I know that this idea can and will come to life. Thankfully the future only comes a day at a time, so let’s take that first step together.
Can’t wait to share the journey with you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)