Kids between the ages of 4-8 years love this short rhyming tale about what fun happens when the clock strikes every hour on Halloween.
THE GOAL: To encourage kids to read independently and to understand sequencing of events.
BONUS: Kids learn about the concept of time in a fun and enjoyable way.
Ghosts, goblins, witches, and other cute monsters make their appearance in this sweet story that is sure to become a Halloween favorite in your house or classroom.
Each illustration holds a little clue on the page that leads to a fun twist at the end that will have your child wanting to go back through the book again and again.
Specs: The book is 8.5" x 8.5" square, full color, illustrated paperback.
Shipping: All paperback rewards have FREE US shipping and EU-friendly shipping (i.e., EU readers won't get hit with customs fees when your book arrives).
Did you know...?
- Most kids don't know how to read analog clocks—Every child should know how to tell time by age 7, but most kids haven't a clue.
- Analog clocks help kids visually process and understand the passage of time—Digital clocks and watches may tell kids the time of the day, but they don't give kids a visualization of minutes ticking by like analog clocks.
Playful rhyming is FUN for kids and they do it naturally
- Rhyming books in meter help kids learn the language—Meter is what makes a book "sing" and rhymes help kids fill in the blanks with and learn unfamiliar words.
- The book is also perfect for kids who are learning English as a second language.
If your kids enjoy rhyming books with a sprinkle of magic, then this book is for them.
Inside the book
Feedback from teachers and parents
"Many students noted the goblin and Kevin the ghost were their favorites because they were funny and “made them feel happy!”—Scott Carpenter, Kindergarten teacher
"As a teacher and a mother, I enjoyed the teachable aspects of the book and its silly events that will make kids giggle."—Meghan O'Rourke, Special Education teacher
"They thoroughly enjoyed the story, often commenting about the rhyming and fun illustrations. They all had a favorite page!"—Christine Egan, Kindergarten teacher
"I read When the Clock Strikes on Halloween to my first grade class and they loved it! This is a great book to read during Halloween or it can also be used to focus on rhyming words and telling time to the hour. The discussion questions at the end of the book are a nice addition as it encourages conversation and extension activities. My class is looking forward to reading other When the Clock Strikes books!"—Jennifer Zimbal, First grade teacher
"My toddler loved this book! He's too young to learn time, but he enjoyed pointing to the clock and repeating the numbers. The rhyme bounces along and my son shouts 'Kevin!' when we meet the ghost! A really fun and engaging way to learn about time, and what kid doesn't love Halloween!?" —Lucille Abendanon, mother of three
Trick or treating will be twice as sweet this year with these Halloween-themed rewards:
- eBook—eBooks for every e-reading device
- Video recording—watch the book come to life with a fun video with music and voiceover
- Activity workbook PDF—coloring pages, word searches, mazes, and of course blank CLOCKS so your kids can continue the fun after they've finished reading the book
- Social media thank you—we are so grateful for absolutely every pledge and will thank you publicly everywhere we can (follow our Facebook and Instagram pages to see your name in lights)
- Crowdfunding strategy session—for authors only! If you want help strategizing how to crowdfund your book, I'm happy to help you. Get a 60-min customized strategy session with me to plan your campaign. Availability will be determined after this campaign ends. This reward represents $150 (50%) savings from my usual crowdfunding consulting and is only available through this campaign.
- 12 months of official sponsorship—for our biggest supporters who will receive special attention on lisaferland.com's homepage and on every newsletter sent out to readers.
The book is already illustrated and ready for proofing and printing. I just need to know the preferred format of the books (e.g., hardcover, paperback, board book), and how many books to print and where to send them.
Help me find some amazing ghouls and goblins in classrooms and bedrooms around the world who will love this book.
Funds raised beyond our goal will be invested back into the book–increasing print quantity, hardcover, and translations—and into developing the series of these books (two more books are already planned).
Running this campaign helps me determine audience demand. Do people really want hardcovers or are paperbacks totally fine?
Why launch a Halloween book in the spring?—It takes time to proof and print books in hardcover and I'm managing books in multiple countries, so I need to run this campaign NOW in order to have books ready for September when Halloween season gears up.
Kickstarter is transparent and high stakes—the all-or-nothing model motivates everyone (but mostly me) to get the word out in a short amount of time.
Engagement—The Kickstarter-only rewards are a great way to engage with readers and generate a positive and fun energy around the concept of the book.
As a Kickstarter Superbacker myself, I love the Kickstarter community and the support everyone shows one another.
Help us share the magic—sharing really helps!
If you love Halloween or want to share this project with other Halloween lovers, please click the image below to share it on Facebook and encourage others to sponsor the book. We need your help to get this book to as many kids as possible.
Scroll back up to get your copy of the book and Kickstarter-exclusive rewards.
Everyone who supports the campaign will see their name on our social media pages so be sure to follow along!
Risks and challenges
Risks are fairly minimal at this point. As soon as the project fully funds, we will be finalizing the paperback (possibly hardcover) and eBook formats, and sending off for final proofing and printing.
I have successfully published two books already and this is my second Kickstarter campaign. I understand the necessary steps for successful publishing. I've also helped other authors raise over $100k on Kickstarter and understand how to develop engaging relationships with readers.
That said, if any issues arise during the production of the book that delays the delivery date of your rewards, I will keep you updated.
Readers in the US and the EU will have books printed locally and shipped to reduce costs and environmental impact.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)